TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Voice quality

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by bob_p, Mar 9, 2013.

1. bob_p

bob_p Member

I've had several people report poor quality of my voice during phone calls. I've also noticed that sometimes the voice command has difficulty recognizing commands. The two problems might be related - poor microphone audio quality.

I called my home phone yesterday and left a voice message to test this - and confirmed the audio quality is relatively poor from the car - worse than my previous car - and worse than what I'm hearing when others call me from their cars.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I just had my first phone call in the car yesterday and the voice quality was excellent.

3. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Jerry, what's your total mileage so far? I've been waiting for you to show up with data on the wh/mi thread. Not enough data?

4. Elshout

Elshout Member

Perhaps poor voice quality may be more of a function of your cell phone. Voice quality using my iPhone has been excellent.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Agree.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Only 200 miles. So far average is 260 Wh/mi. But I'm not trying for any records. Sorry about the off-topic post.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

No issues whatsoever with audio quality or voice recognition here.

8. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

No issues for me either. Matter of fact, the quality is better than any car I have ever had.

9. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I can also report very good voice quality with my iPhone 4S. Others have no trouble hearing me, and it's such a pleasure to not have to use a Bluetooth headset anymore.

10. ElectricFarmBoy

I've found that if I keep my phone in my pocket, I get iffy quality with the calls and the bluetooth audio.

Put the phone a few inches closer, on the shelf under the screen, and its the best quality I've ever had. So it seems to me that the bluetooth range is very short from around the screen. If my sons try to use my phone from the backseat to play youtube audio through the system, they have to hold the phone forward through the seat gap to get the sound to not chop.

Anyone else experience this?

11. MarkR

MarkR Member

The voice quality has been excellent with my Motorola Razr Max HD. No one has ever voice a suspicion that I'm talking from the car via BlueTooth.

12. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

I have tried a few different phones, and voice quality is a mixed bag. Also, Siri over the bluetooth is poor at best, and the voice commands in the car are poor at best. Some people hear a canadian accent when I speak, but Siri has no problems with me with other microphones.
    I remember reading some time back about issues some owners had with the microphones not picking up their voice properly. Best bet would be to take it in when you can and have the techs look at it. I should too.

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Superb quality with phone conversations via BT and my iPhone 5 in the car. No engine noise to mess it up, of course; the cabin can get eerily quiet!

Voice recognition for Slackr has been very good too but, on occasion, I had to speak up just a bit (particularly when the AC's going).

14. Cool-Model S

Cool-Model S Member

No issues with voice quality with my iPhone 4. Called local and international (Germany) and excellent both sides.

voice recognition has been tricky. Definitely need to speak up more that I think I should. This gets tricky with navigation.

15. bob_p

bob_p Member

I have a Galaxy S3 - which worked fine in my previous car - and works fine when I pair it to a BT headset. The only audio problem comes while I'm in the car - using the car's built-in microphone.

For those who are claiming audio quality for their phones is "excellent", have you recorded voice mail - so that you can hear what you sound like while the car is moving? Is the voice quality natural sounding? Are you hearing any background noise or static?

I'm trying to isolate this issue - if it's a problem with my specific car (since my phone worked fine in my previous car) or with my cell phone - so I can work on a solution.

For those posting results - thanks! Hopefully this will help me get this fixed...

16. fizzazle

fizzazle Member

I would get it checked out. Sounds like a fixed issue (happening EVERY time) you make a call which to me suggests its not an issue of cell phone service (unless you have crap service everywhere!).

Also if the phone worked great on your last car...the phone is probably all right.

That just leaves the MS to be checked out. Probably the microphone is screwed up and hence the poor voice recognition and poor voice quality....

17. jbherman

jbherman Member

I've had problems with Slacker and phone voice commands when driving on the highway (wind noise causing interference?) It seems to do better during city driving. Voice quality of phone conversations has always been fine.

18. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Road and wind noise is way too loud for people on the other end of my conversations. It never dawned on me that it could be something with the microphone, other than it being pointed the wrong way? I don't see how it could be the phone. It's not the clarity of the voice, it's the loudness of the other noises.

19. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Bob

Definitely have a problem with mine as well. Many people tell me they can barely hear me or that I am under water. Have added this item to my "due" list. Once my local service center opens (hopefully in a few weeks), I will be having them look at it (as well as several other small things).

I'm convinced it's a problem with the microphone in my car, since my iPhone 5 works perfectly in my Ford Fusion Hybrid....

You're not alone!

Aaron

20. bob_p

bob_p Member

I have a Sprint Galaxy S3 - with the latest Sprint updates installed. Over the weekend, I'm going to try another Galaxy S3 and see if it has the same problem. If so, that will rule out a problem with my specific phone - and then isolate it either to the MS or a compatibility problem between the MS and Android software.

My problem is mostly that the voice sounds very 'robotic' - with the audio distorted, and sometimes difficult to understand. The other phone I will be testing is working fine using BT in a Jaguar - so trying a call in my MS will be a good test to see if the problem is specific to my phone - or with the combination of the Galaxy S3/Android phones and the MS.

I'm scheduled to visit the local service center next Monday - and also have this on my initial "issues" list for them to review.