Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
steve... the same thing going on for me here. also the same jokes.

i also had the MCU replaced. my microphones were replaced, too. i tried different phones. the replacing of the MCU solved my bluetooth connectivity issues 100% [i.e. if my phone was in pocket, audio streaming would skip]. it did not help my phone call quality. IMO its not a bluetooth issue. im starting to think it has something to do with air coming in via the PANO roof. there is a known issue and a bulletin was just released by tesla for the wind noise.

do you have a PANO roof, and if so - when you're at highway speed do you hear wind noise (like a leak) through it?

if yes to above, do you have issues when the car is parked and you're doing your test calls?

I haven't been able to use my hands free since I bought the car. People I call consistently say it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel. I don't hear the wind noise but they sure do. Disappointing and results in me having to break the law if I want to use phone while driving.

I've noticed variable volume from callers when driving, but maybe that's just reception weak spots. Other than that, no complaints....although I'm just learning.... P16681. Just did a 650 mi trip to Santa Barbara and back :cool:

Interesting. Tesla just replaced my center console computer (17" display module) because the BT reception was poor. Calling my 'most critical user' friend today he reported call quality was much better but still not as good as he normally hears from other BT hands free autos.

I have 21", pano, parcel shelf, sound studio, tech. The service center applied the fixes for pano roof rattle (yes that is fixed) but now it whistles above 50 MPH. There may be more fixes needed.

Tesla is trying however and enters any and all complaints/issues I have into the database and works each issue to resolution (even it its could not duplicate). I give the SC an A+ for effort and B+ for results.

Interesting. Tesla just replaced my center console computer (17" display module) because the BT reception was poor. Calling my 'most critical user' friend today he reported call quality was much better but still not as good as he normally hears from other BT hands free autos.

I have 21", pano, parcel shelf, sound studio, tech. The service center applied the fixes for pano roof rattle (yes that is fixed) but now it whistles above 50 MPH. There may be more fixes needed.

Tesla is trying however and enters any and all complaints/issues I have into the database and works each issue to resolution (even it its could not duplicate). I give the SC an A+ for effort and B+ for results.

This was the exact same outcome for me. After replacing the MCU quality improved some, and i was able to use voice commands somewhat more reliably. The people who know me well enough ask me to call back when im not in the Tesla. And agreed that quality is nowhere near what it is in other vehicles. Its about the only thing i can fault the vehicle for, certainly at the top of the list.

Just to be clear, i believe there are two related issues in play here:
-bluetooth antenna in early systems was integrated internally in the MCU and had a very short range. result: streaming media would skip and chop, particularly if phone in left pocket. yes, would have intermittent effect on phone calls, too.
-voice recording quality is low. this would effect not only bluetooth audio calls, but also the vehicle's voice commands (which presumably are hardwired and have nothing to do with bluetooth). in particular for me, this becomes much worse at higher speeds.

Just revisiting this thread....

As the MCU was replaced with the latest one, I still have complaints of noise on calls.

Next week is my annual service and was curious to know if anyone else had any luck getting the SC to solve the problem or if any new info is out there????

I rarely make BT calls, but was finding the voice recognition for audio and navigation terrible. I mentioned it to the SC when my car was in, and the report says they changed "both" microphones. The grille above the mirror looks the same. It's not the new style with the obvious two microphones, but I am finding the voice recognition much better... especially when underway.

My last ranger visit the range was able to consistently reproduce my issues with voice recognition, but didn't know what to do to fix it and it has, supposedly, been sent to engineering for a solution. It's been over a week and I haven't heard anything on that yet.

He was not able to reproduce my degraded call quality for the outgoing calls and, honestly, it seems to be fine most of the time now. I think I had a microphone replaced several months ago (never saw the work order), so perhaps that helped, but it did nothing for the voice recognition.

For those of you wanting to test your microphone for calls over BT, use the Telecom Toolkit. It's much more efficient and easier than calling your VM and leaving messages.. All you have to do is call the number on this website: http://www.ani-inc.com/telecom-toolkit

choose option #4, and talk however you want... when you're ready to hear yourself back, hit pound. You can do this repeatedly.... I plan to do it at varying speeds tomorrow as I too have callers complaining of heavy wind noise at any speed above 40MPH or so... Pano roof closed... 21" rims

Not having any BT connectivity issues yet though Tmobile Galaxy Note3

For those of you wanting to test your microphone for calls over BT, use the Telecom Toolkit. It's much more efficient and easier than calling your VM and leaving messages.. All you have to do is call the number on this website: http://www.ani-inc.com/telecom-toolkit

choose option #4, and talk however you want... when you're ready to hear yourself back, hit pound. You can do this repeatedly.... I plan to do it at varying speeds tomorrow as I too have callers complaining of heavy wind noise at any speed above 40MPH or so... Pano roof closed... 21" rims

Not having any BT connectivity issues yet though Tmobile Galaxy Note3

Thanks for this!!! Going to test today!

Aaron

Hands free and voice recognition quality went way up after 5.8. Under 4.5 I could barely be heard by others on a hands free call. After upgrading to 5.8 I no longer have that issue. Call quality is clean. I noticed the quality of the voice recognition also improved, so whatever Tesla did to improve the voice quality also impacted the voice recognition.

Hands free and voice recognition quality went way up after 5.8. Under 4.5 I could barely be heard by others on a hands free call. After upgrading to 5.8 I no longer have that issue. Call quality is clean. I noticed the quality of the voice recognition also improved, so whatever Tesla did to improve the voice quality also impacted the voice recognition.
Thanks. I will try again today.

Still getting people who comment I'm hard to hear at times on the phone. Have noticed that if I talk louder - they can hear me better. Talking at a normal level appears to have problems.

Ownership recommended having the local service center look at the microphone(s?) and ensure proper positioning - which I'll do at my next (25K mile) service soon.

Though I still suspect there is a software problem - and that the ability to adjust the microphone volume and any background noise cancellation settings might have more impact than adjusting the microphone position.

My previous car (LS 460) also had problems with the voice quality - and by adjusting the microphone volume inside a hidden maintenance menu was able to fix the problem.