Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Recognition Tesla Vs Siri

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that Voice recognition on the Model X has gotten progressively worse with updates, to a point it is practically unusable. It would initially not recognize unusual names, but since the last update, it cannot even recognize spoken numbers. Siri however in the same environment is spot on (when Siri is activated by pressing the home button or saying Hey Siri)... with names numbers and commands. Does Tesla use its own Voice Recognition software? I thought that when you press the voice command button on the steering, and it activates the iPhone, it is using (or sending the command to ) Siri that takes over. Apparently thats not the case? Or am I mistaken.
Any input would be great
Thanks!!!

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
Stupid question: Try talking more normally, instead of changing to "help" the car understand you? Early on owning my Model S, I noticed if I tried to be extra-clear, it seemed to do worse or just fail to understand me completely. (Weird!)

I'm not saying to intentionally slur your words or anything like that, of course! ;-)

If this doesn't help at all (or only makes things worse), sorry.

Ive almost stopped using it.... It doesn't even recognize if I say the numbers one by one.... I don't think I've changed how I speak LOL
I actually think it's quite good, and I hate Siri. I see it taking the words I say (the car) and reprocessing them on the screen and coming up with the correct result (like my GF's name, which may be because it does have to match something in Contacts, of course). Asking it to 'navigate to <somewhere>' seems to work. To me, seems a lot better than Siri.... As good as Alexa? Don't use Cortana or Google. Dang, we have too many people trying to assist us! :D

Stupid question: Try talking more normally, instead of changing to "help" the car understand you? Early on owning my Model S, I noticed if I tried to be extra-clear, it seemed to do worse or just fail to understand me completely. (Weird!)

I'm not saying to intentionally slur your words or anything like that, of course! ;-)

If this doesn't help at all (or only makes things worse), sorry.
Maybe that might do it. I used to talk normally first maybe subconsciously im trying to help the car because its been messing up the recognition for a couple months now. Strangely if I ask it to play a song ... it recognizes that perfectly. Its just phone numbers and contact names it struggles with

I actually think it's quite good, and I hate Siri. I see it taking the words I say (the car) and reprocessing them on the screen and coming up with the correct result (like my GF's name, which may be because it does have to match something in Contacts, of course). Asking it to 'navigate to <somewhere>' seems to work. To me, seems a lot better than Siri.... As good as Alexa? Don't use Cortana or Google. Dang, we have too many people trying to assist us! :D
I used to hate siri till iOS 11 ... its gotten so much better... but yeah its not the best by any means. Google is awesome on my TV even if I slur the words, it gets it right perfectly. So is Alexa.... Im glad we have so many "digital women" in our lives... the "non digital ones" don't really listen to me anyways LOOL

I used to hate siri till iOS 11 ... its gotten so much better... but yeah its not the best by any means. Google is awesome on my TV even if I slur the words, it gets it right perfectly. So is Alexa.... Im glad we have so many "digital women" in our lives... the "non digital ones" don't really listen to me anyways LOOL
Now that I won't touch with any length pole.. :D

I find the Tesla voice command recognition amazing good! I don't give that praise lightly, it used to be awful (back in 2013/2014) but now it seems to be 99% accurate for me when saying "navigate to ...." and "call ...". Surprisingly its one of Tesla's best features. YMMV