Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice recognition

rincewind

Nov 5, 2019
London England
Why is it that I can ask Spotify to play a song, quite often long title name and artists, and it gets it right pretty much all the time. However, if I try to use voice recognition to make a phone call, it's awful. Does it route to a different server for Spotify?

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I just about gave up on voice recognition - it's years behind some others.
Like the self parking - which fails to recognise 50% of valid spaces but does say theire's a space when I drive past a gap in the shrubs!

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
My favourite one is if I tell it to switch on the air conditioning, it repeats the phrase exactly - and then says "navigating to XXX Conditioning" and throws the current destination away!

Reactions: OttoR

Alistairuk

Jun 25, 2020
Scotland
Why is it that I can ask Spotify to play a song, quite often long title name and artists, and it gets it right pretty much all the time. However, if I try to use voice recognition to make a phone call, it's awful. Does it route to a different server for Spotify?

same - I gave up trying to use it to make a phone call (oddly most other stuff is fine) - instead I just shout “hey Siri call blah mobile” and Siri does it’s thing (most of the time anyway) - the audio in the car automatically switches to the phone when it starts calling.

Reactions: Adopado

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
My favourite one is if I tell it to switch on the air conditioning, it repeats the phrase exactly - and then says "navigating to XXX Conditioning" and throws the current destination away!
Try referring to it as climate control! Them Americans have their own terminology.

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
It worked for me for the first 3 months flawlessly recognising phone book entries and anything else I asked, then from the start of 2020 its never worked since, nobody listening to feedback, told service centre, they tested and basically just said Spotify works for voice commands which isn't what I asked about.

I wouldn't expect anything to be done anytime soon but who knows

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Try referring to it as climate control! Them Americans have their own terminology.
That's not it - I can say "switch OFF air conditioning" and it does so!
If I say" Switch ON air conditioning" it repeats exactly that - then changes my nav destination to XXX air conditioning! I think it's somewhere across the Pacific.....

Reactions: Rooster6655

Alistairuk

Jun 25, 2020
Scotland
If I say" Switch ON air conditioning" it repeats exactly that - then changes my nav destination to XXX air conditioning! I think it's somewhere across the Pacific.....
“Set / change temperature to Xx” works pretty much all the time or “turn on blowers” also works (found the later after one of my parents were trying to turn them off 😂)

Just because it repeats what you said perfectly doesn’t mean it understood you - if it hasn’t been specifically told that saying what your saying is referring to the AC system it will either guess it’s a destination or ignore you :)

If it’s in your recent destination list try deleting it - I would assume that if it doesn’t fully understand what was said it maybe checks recent destinations for a match so if it’s finding it there it’s going to keep doing it?

Last edited:

Abu el Banat

M3 2021 - MIC.
Mar 15, 2021
Scotland
I find it rather embarrassingly disappointing. I've had my car one week - I have 6 or 7 google home units around the house & they all recognise my whole families Scottish accents & rarely get the recognition wrong - so far the Tesla just fails spectacularly in the same field

Reactions: Wol747

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK

Exactly its clearly not an accent thing, as all this actually worked previously

Reactions: Wol747

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC