Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voicer Recognition Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
The voice recognition in my car stopped working a few days ago. When trying to use the voice recognition to set a navigation point, the car would initially saying it was processing the request and then state that voice recognition was not available (not the exact error language). At first, I didn't think much about it, thinking that either there was an issue with the Tesla server, or that there was an ATT issue.

After two days, it dawned on me that this issue started right after I had the folding side mirrors retro-fitted to the car. So I called the SC to asked whether there was a connection between the folding mirror installation and the non-operation of the voice recognition. The SC told me no, but indicated that many people have called to report that the voice recognition is not operational, and that Tesla has a patch that they can push to the car to fix the problem.

I haven't received the patch yet, so I don't know whether it actually does take care of the problem. But if you are experiencing problems with the operation of the voice recognition in the car, you may wish to contact Tesla to see whether you need to get the software patch.

Yes I did that the day before without success. Then, when I contacted the SC, they had me do a reset. Again, without success. That is when they told me this is a known issue and a patch is available to correct it.

Voice recognition has not worked for months for me. For me it has something to do with switching from home WiFi to the 3G cellular signal. If I'm in my garage on WiFi voice control works fine. Once I drive away, nothing - the dash says something like "Voice Control not available, No Connectivity". The SC says that the problem is on AT&T's side and have said this up to a month ago, nothing about a patch. Rebooting did not help.

Sorry if this is old news, have not checked old posts, but I thought I did read another thread about this.

And retrofitted mirrors? We need to catch up sweg!

This is a well known problem that appears to be limited to cars in the DC Metro area. Tesla says that the problem is on the AT&T/Google end of things and that they are working with them to fix the issue permanently. In the meantime, Tesla has developed a patch (not through a new firmware release) that they can send to your car. I had the same problem the OP described and Tesla sent the patch and it fixed the problem. If, however, you reboot the screens or install a new version of the firmware, it was break the patch and you have to have the SC resend the patch.

I've been told by the regional service manager that a fix had been developed and Tesla intended to include this in a newer firmware, but they discovered that the fix broke other things in the car, so they pulled it out of the firmware and we are left with just the "patch fix" for now.