Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voiding warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ive been a lurker on this forum for quite a while and have a red M3 AWD. I have been wanting to put a couple of sub woofers in the bottom compartment of the trunk and was wandering if this would in any way void the warranty?

Thanks, Garrett

May I suggest that you use capacitors on the power side to avoid creating spiking power draws from the 12V battery.

Tsportline, are you willing to back that up if Tesla denies any warranty issues related to the stereo? If you are adding a sub, you are likely adding an amp, or taping into the factory amp. You tap into the factory battery or poorly ground a wire and introduce other issues STEREO related, you'll likely lose the fight with Tesla to warranty it. Seen this many times and I think it's justified from a manufacture's POV. If you work with a confident shop that backs up their work, then they can handle any warranty issues. Adding wheels is very different than modifying the stereo.

Nothing (in the US) will "void" a warranty unless that thing causes the prob
Tsportline, are you willing to back that up if Tesla denies any warranty issues related to the stereo? If you are adding a sub, you are likely adding an amp, or taping into the factory amp. You tap into the factory battery or poorly ground a wire and introduce other issues STEREO related, you'll likely lose the fight with Tesla to warranty it. Seen this many times and I think it's justified from a manufacture's POV. If you work with a confident shop that backs up their work, then they can handle any warranty issues. Adding wheels is very different than modifying the stereo.

It doesn't matter what you are adding- the law is clear.

A MFG can not deny warranty for any aftermarket part unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the problem

If you do a stereo addition and your wiring breaks something- they don't have to warranty that (but everything else not impacted by your mod remains covered)

If you do a stereo addition and your wiring causes no harm you haven't impacted warranty coverage at all.

• Informative
Reactions: rlb4 and focher
Just took my car to service with 9.5" wide wheels, 265 RE71R tires, lowered a little more than 1", racing coilovers, stickers from Tesla Corsa all over it....

And they did a great warranty job replacing my leaky tail light :)

Reactions: St3phen
Warranties, not just on cars, for modifications or third party repairs cannot be denied in the USA and most anywhere else unless the work is the cause of the problem (as noted above). It's not just a car thing. If you've seen those stickers on items that say "warranty void if removed"? Those are ILLEGAL, and the FTC actually sent Microsoft and Sony cease and desist letters just last year on the matter.

So, install away on those subwoofers but if they blow out the stereo then it's on you. Otherwise, you're fine.

Nothing (in the US) will "void" a warranty unless that thing causes the prob

It doesn't matter what you are adding- the law is clear.

A MFG can not deny warranty for any aftermarket part unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the problem

If you do a stereo addition and your wiring breaks something- they don't have to warranty that (but everything else not impacted by your mod remains covered)

If you do a stereo addition and your wiring causes no harm you haven't impacted warranty coverage at all.

I mean that sounds great especially in a 1980's world where the only interactions between stereos and the rest of a car is plugging into the same dumb power source....

But that's not how things are any more. If your car refuses to go down for a software update because your new stereo's amp doesn't respond to the same command as Tesla's for going into sleep, or where you tapped power is now generating 12V battery faults that change how quickly your car goes to sleep, there's now a lot more interactions between your car and aftermarket accessories that could result in behaviors that you bring your car into Tesla service for.

And it does not take a lot of effort for Tesla engineering or service to come up with a semi-plausible explanation for how you caused the problem, which becomes difficult for you to refute. I've read many stories here where random Tesla malfunctions were explained to be caused by aftermarket modifications, whether it's dashcam installations or stereo systems from others (not Tsportline in particular, not trying to call anyone out).

As someone who's done aftermarket modifications to all 4 cars I've owned.... I have to say the truth is a little bit more of "it's a bit risky". You run the risk of being hassled more. Kind of like when you use Comcast with your own modem as soon as you mention that fact they try to blame every problem on your modem. You might have to stomp your feet a little more or go to another service center, or be middleman between you and your installer...

I think a good example of the agreement I want is what some tuning company and Audi dealerships had. They sold ECU tunes through Audi dealerships and you sign a contract with them saying that if Audi ever refused a warranty claim, the third party would foot the bill. They went out of business though, I'm blanking on the name.... But that's kind of what you'd want to see to be useful to you. Compared to the number of times that dealerships / service centers try to blame 3rd party stuff, very rarely does a M-M Warranty Act end up going to court.... And financially I have my doubts on whether or not that's a victory.

Bottom Line: The M-M Warranty Act does not address whether or not manufacturers design devices that are unfriendly to aftermarket modification.

Reactions: SJC3
FWIW I've modded virtually every car I've ever owned, often the stereo but just as often more "functional" parts... and never had a single bit of pushback on warranty issues with one exception from a GM dealer and an Impala (the good kind not the FWD crapmobile they sold later)- said dealer immediately shut up as soon as the words "MagnusonMoss Act" left my mouth- the moment he knew I knew the law he fixed the car for free.

YMMV of course.

Good summary of the law from Tsportline. Good, practical advice from Chillaban.

Regardless of what the law says, there are many other factors you have to consider. As mentioned, if an engineer from tesla says your modification affected part X, which led to a failure of parts y and z, how are you going to refute that? You may have to hire an expert yourself for several $K (if you're lucky) along with the $~800+/ hour you're paying your attorney for his/her court time. That's after all the discovery, interrogatories, depositions, etc. Hopefully, your expert is well versed with all the parts and the Tesla engineer won't pull something that most electrical engineers might not be familiar with. Whether you're right or not, it may come down to a battle of attrition. Who has the deeper pockets and is the 'principle' worth it? It might be worth $1m to tesla to prove their point and deter future 'warranty' claims, again, whether they're right or not.

Looping back on this. I want to install sound dampening on my car and looking at the photos, they cover the whole bottom panels. Wondering if this can result in Tesla voiding warranty services?

From everything I just read in this thread, it sounds like you are fine. I can't imagine Tesla being able to prove sound dampening caused something that would void your warranty.

Reactions: PedramGh