Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voiding warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
Listings
Would replacing rotors void the warranty? I just received my model x last week, and would really like to Install some xdrilled/or slotted rotors. Would look really nice with the 22’s and red calipers. The plain rotors just don’t cut it but don’t want to void the warranty. Just curious

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says they can not deny warranty claims for after market parts unless those parts specifically contributed to your claim. If you replace your rotors and your AC goes out, they can't deny your claim. But if you try to file a claim for something related to the brakes, say faulty ABS, they could "theoretically" claim the rotors caused it...maybe some BS like creating excessive heat. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer but the legal fight could not be worth the hassle.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Yep! As a former Jeep Wrangler owner, I'm real familiar with the way this can quickly become a "game". Ultimately, it's all about how forgiving your service center wants to be.

With the Jeeps, Chrysler sells several extended warranties, including an "unlimited mileage" one that's fairly popular. The big catch is always the fact that almost all Wrangler owners modify their Jeeps with things like lift kits. Even the dealers modify some of them before reselling them on the used lot, to make them more desirable. And Chrysler does sell official "MOPAR" lift kits. Yet .... many people find they're denied extended warranty coverage for a suspension problem because the dealer always points to the "aftermarket lift kit installation" as the reason something else failed. Even if you have the real MOPAR one, they're known to fight you over it!

I think these places are well aware that they'll do better, financially, denying a bunch of warranty claims and counting on at least 50% or so of people not hassling with taking them to court over it. And so often, you can't really PROVE that some part didn't cause the problem you're having -- even if you know via "common sense" it didn't.

I once had a problem with a remote keyfob that would intermittently refuse to unlock my doors or trunk. It was under warranty but they denied me after I put in an upgraded car stereo. Their claim was, "all the extra electronics are generating interference jamming the keyfob's signal". Clearly total B.S. because plenty of people install the same equipment in cars with keyfobs all the time and don't have the same problem. Plus, my issue was only happening after it rained heavily -- so had to do with water getting in someplace and shorting something out. But can you imagine all the time, effort and expense you'd have to go through in court to prove there was no RF interference from the stereo system that could cause it? Would probably have to rip the entire installation out and put the factory one back just to show it was still happening, at the very least.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says they can not deny warranty claims for after market parts unless those parts specifically contributed to your claim. If you replace your rotors and your AC goes out, they can't deny your claim. But if you try to file a claim for something related to the brakes, say faulty ABS, they could "theoretically" claim the rotors caused it...maybe some BS like creating excessive heat. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer but the legal fight could not be worth the hassle.

Drilled rotors are actually a bad thing because the drill holes cause stress cracks to form. Porsche publishes a crack length spec that triggers replacement and those rotors are massive compared to weight of vehicle. Granted an X should be easy on the friction brakes.

All the sales points about drilled making them run cooler and such are baldfaced lies too.

Just understand drilled is NOT a tangible or functional upgrade strictly cosmetic with some risk of creating problems. If dimpled is an option it will give you the look without the cracks.

Since someone is liable to argue, tell me how removing mass from a rotor makes it run cooler. Remove material drilling and now you have less mass to soak up the braking energy that is pumped in very fast and then generally has a comparatively long time to dissipate.

Reactions: jboy210
Since someone is liable to argue, tell me how removing mass from a rotor makes it run cooler. Remove material drilling and now you have less mass to soak up the braking energy that is pumped in very fast and then generally has a comparatively long time to dissipate.

Agreed. The only reason to contemplate drilling would be for perhaps getting more airflow to dissipate heat faster in repeated stops. But given that 90+% of the braking force we use in the real world is regen, does that even hold up?

Agreed. The only reason to contemplate drilling would be for perhaps getting more airflow to dissipate heat faster in repeated stops. But given that 90+% of the braking force we use in the real world is regen, does that even hold up?
I have cross drilled rotors on my gtr and have done stops at the poconos racetrack from 185 without problems so far. Besides discoloring the rotors them self no cracking issues yet. I have done research and yes slotted/curved are far better than drilled, most real race big brake kits now don’t even come drilled. There more so offered on new street cars. I’m doing mostly for looks on the X, and figure I would never have an issue due to Regen. And I guess if I did have some issue with the braking system I could install the oem ones back first.