Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen’s answer to Tesla is a Volkswagen bus????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m watching a commercial and the music is Simon and Garfunkel “Sounds of Silence” and it an electric car from Volkswagen the car is a Volkswagen BUS!!! Are you kidding me. That’s their answer to Tesla, Model 3 Model S and Model X!! That the best they could??? I thought the big auto manufacturers would anilate Tesla. Ha ha.

Trying to introduce a new product that competes directly head to head with an existing one is seldom the best strategy, and the van/minivan segment is currently underserved.

If VW can make a compelling people and stuff transporter EV - especially if they can make something that's as easy to use and capable as a minivan while avoiding the minivan stigma - then they can likely tap in to a bunch of market potential that Tesla hasn't gotten to. That'd let them sell a bunch of cars even if they can't match Tesla point for point on efficiency, price, charging, and autonomy - as long as the car is attractive on its own merits.

I actually think it's a rather good idea on their part - at least if they execute it well and bring it with a 200+ mile range and good fast charging.

And, as S'toon said, they're planning to build a bunch of related EVs over the next few years in various segments - maybe they'll get the sort of use out of their skateboard that Tesla was talking about years ago but never really managed so far.

I’m watching a commercial and the music is Simon and Garfunkel “Sounds of Silence” and it an electric car from Volkswagen the car is a Volkswagen BUS!!! Are you kidding me. That’s their answer to Tesla, Model 3 Model S and Model X!! That the best they could??? I thought the big auto manufacturers would anilate Tesla. Ha ha.
That bus has a venerable history, and I wouldn't laugh at it. Here's the 1967 version, which some people stil drive because it's in a class of its own:
vw-bus-2411671_960_720.jpg

More to the point: this isn't the main competitor to Tesla cars. You might have heard that Volkswagen and Audi are actually two brands from the same manufacturer, and Audi has the E-tron.

Audi-e-tron-(14).jpg

Volkswagen is also launching this little baby:
hxfitwpo5sw21.jpg

The Volkswagen ID.3.

It's an awesome idea. It brings a younger and young at heart segment to the market. It's a people hauler and has also been a camper.
It's actually a platform that will attract non-EV owners, as many people have been wanting the platform resurrected for year.

I've seen the videos of it being tested on the West Coast.

It's an awesome idea. It brings a younger and young at heart segment to the market. It's a people hauler and has also been a camper.
It's actually a platform that will attract non-EV owners, as many people have been wanting the platform resurrected for year.

I've seen the videos of it being tested on the West Coast.
Thats not a mass market stategy, thats a “NICHE” auto. I want the performance of a Model 3, not a bus.

Thats not a mass market stategy, thats a “NICHE” auto. I want the performance of a Model 3, not a bus.
Then you are probably not a VW customer. They have never really competed in the "sporty sedan" market that companies like BMW created. That's what they have the Audi brand for. The E-Tron GT is probably more up your alley, and there is certainly an EV equivalent to the A4 in the pipeline.

Anyway, this ad is not so much an ad for the "Buzz" (which may very well never go into production), but part of an image campaign for VW after Dieselgate. Many people still have fond memories of the VW "hippie van", and even among millenials it's cool again. It's their most iconic vehicle next to the Bug.

The big selling point is that you can leave the radio on ;)

Actually, it is a pretty savvy move. RV parks have the power hook up to charge. People love the van. People will want to customize it, I don't see it as a competitor to car sales, but a new market position.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/09/vw-electric-autonomous-van-life-id-buzz-microbus-video/
And there's going to be a cargo version of the Buzz that people/companies can use as a delivery van or work truck. There should be a market for that. (Maybe the Electrek article says that. I didn't want to click on Electrek.)

People really think this will pass the frontal crash impact tests? It’s more EV vaporware from the undisputed leader in EV vaporware.

You should watch the FullyCharge episode about this bus. They said the front is like other minivan for safety.

As for vaporware, VW claim to be ready in 2022 - 2023. Hope it is not vaporware. I trade in my Japanese (hates EV) van for this in a heartbeat.... like many that loves the old bus.