Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen Drive Technologies: Part 1 - Electric Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, there is no transmission, no exhaust - why there is rear passenger area hump? I hope it is NOT their new platform...
I actually like their battery layout - there are a number of efficiency reasons that Teslas battery layout works but the large flat battery also makes the floor so high in Model S that the rear seating is a little awkward. The VW battery layout will give occupants a more traditional seating arrangement.

> why there is rear passenger area hump? [vgrinshpun]

To fill every available (unused) space with battery. So you've never seen a car with rear seat removed?
--

Thanks for pointing the obvious. My point is that this is an adaptation of an ICE car platform. Advantages of electric platform can be fully realized only by starting with the clean sheet of paper.
If it is indeed video showing new VW EV platform, it does not look good for Volkswagen.

> this is an adaptation of an ICE car platform [vgrinshpun]

Not necessarily the bugaboo you imagine. Engineering the possible often wins over clean sheet.
--

Well, it's a little presumptuous to assume that you know what I imagine.

The point is that adapting the existing iCE platform does not produce the best EV. Designing battery pack into the entirety of the underbody as done by Tesla allows to double duty the battery pack casing as a fully utilized structural member of the car body, improving stiffness and saving on weight. This opportunity is partially lost when Adopting ICE design.

Remember cars used to look like horse carriages?

MA_00486523_fuwriq.jpg

Well, there is no transmission, no exhaust - why there is rear passenger area hump? I hope it is NOT their new platform...
They probably re-purposed a fossil fuel chassis which already had the center hump. They just fill the hump with batteries. That way they can make a fossil fuel and electric version of the car using the same chassis. They're not ready to fully commit to EVs.
After all, people EXPECT there to be a hump in the middle of the car... isn't that they way all cars are made?

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Thanks for pointing the obvious. My point is that this is an adaptation of an ICE car platform. Advantages of electric platform can be fully realized only by starting with the clean sheet of paper.
If it is indeed video showing new VW EV platform, it does not look good for Volkswagen.
The video has the tone of something like: "Look, we've just invented the electric car and this is a simple explanation for morons (apologies to morons)".

They probably re-purposed a fossil fuel chassis which already had the center hump. They just fill the hump with batteries. That way they can make a fossil fuel and electric version of the car using the same chassis. They're not ready to fully commit to EVs.
After all, people EXPECT there to be a hump in the middle of the car... isn't that they way all cars are made?
The vehicle pictured is the currently sold e-Golf. It is obviously an adaptation of their ICE Golf, but they did add additional bumps in the floorpan so they could use the extra space under the front seats. All that just to fit 24.2kWh of batteries in the first gen e-Golf. Second gen fits 35.8kWh in the same space, much like the increased capacity of the i3 second gen battery pack.