Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen E-Golf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friggin' dealerships! Now, I know why I love Tesla so much.

After stringing me along for many days and promising the national VW e-Golf lease announced in August - $2,000 due at signing, $299 + tax per month, 3 years, 36,000 miles - now that the cars are coming in, each dealership is trying to outdo the other by raising the downpayment to close to $4,000 and beyond! Some are even limiting it to 10,000 miles per year!

"These cars are in limited supply and are in so much demand so, this is what we can do." goes the argument.

Back to the drawing board for a second, commuter EV. Looking into the Ford Focus Electric now.

Sounds like it. I've never leased a car before so am not very well versed with the game here.

For sure, the more engaged (desperate?) I seem as a buyer, the more they are looking to milk it.
Can you say "Additional Dealer Markup?". I knew you could.

To be fair, the published lease offers never include tax, title, license, and sales tax in CA is steep. I paid $4,300 in tax on my RAV4 EV because the Toyota incentive is taken after the taxes are calculated.

BTW, is there any consideration for the Federal Tax Credit in the VW leases? Did you get it in writing? I'd be interested to see it.

What incentive does the dealer get by raising the capital cost reduction? I see why VW finance would care. Does the dealership get additional points kicked back on the leading terms?

These national lease deals often require "dealer participation," ie cost sharing on the part of the dealer for whatever subvention is going on with the lease. Sounds like this dealer has realized he doesn't need to participate as much.

As a consumer I don't care about the dealer's financial stake at all. I want the damn car for a price that was advertised. If the structure of the deal on VW's side is such that they can't get me that deal then I would walk. I waited until I got my FFE at a $199/month lease. Prior to the week I got mine they wanted much more. I don't care if the dealer took a bath on the deal. They don't care about me, why should I give a damn about them.

I thought the same about the Mercedes B Class Electric Drive assembly video someone posted. Probably an artifact of building the electric version in-between the gas version on the same assembly line. Both the design of chassis and the flow of the assembly line dictates the electric drivetrain closely resemble a gasoline drivetrain.

Exactly, they may even give it enough weight to emulate the ICE so they can just use to old chassis without additional tuning. The car is more like an afterthought than a new project.

It's just another golf, except electric with a poor range. So why buy it?
It should be the top of the line golf that has everything the gti has. Plus faster acceleration and at least 200mile range.

Tesla is the only one showing that an electric car can be better than a gas car.

Even Nissan have great compact SUVs and they still only sell the bug eyed leaf.

VW made the claim that they would be the worlds no1 supplier of the electric car

EVs are the answer to having both good performance and a high mpg rating

So annoying....

"These cars are in limited supply and are in so much demand so, this is what we can do." goes the argument.

I thought your NADA was there to protect the consumer:tongue:? That is what all of their PR spin doctors seem to be spewing out lately.
I found their code of ethics online...

• Operate this business in accord with the highest standards of ethical conduct. FAIL
  • Treat each customer in a fair, open, and honest manner, and fully comply with all laws that prohibit discrimination. FAIL
  • Meet the transportation needs of our customers in a knowledgeable and professional manner. FAIL
  • Represent our products clearly and factually, standing fully behind our warranties, direct and implied, and in all other ways justifying the customer’s respect and confidence. FAIL
  • Advertise our products in a positive, factual, and informative manner. FAIL
  • Detail charges to assist our customers in understanding repair work and provide written estimates of any service work to be performed, upon request, or as required by law. Hang on - so they only supply the info when asked or required to - not as a courtesy. (Not really related your your case)
  • Resolve customer concerns promptly and courteously. FAIL
  • Put our promises in writing and stand behind them. FAIL

Does that sum up your experience?

Friggin' dealerships! Now, I know why I love Tesla so much.

After stringing me along for many days and promising the national VW e-Golf lease announced in August - $2,000 due at signing, $299 + tax per month, 3 years, 36,000 miles - now that the cars are coming in, each dealership is trying to outdo the other by raising the downpayment to close to $4,000 and beyond! Some are even limiting it to 10,000 miles per year!

Back to the drawing board for a second, commuter EV. Looking into the Ford Focus Electric now.

GG,
You might want to check out the Kia Soul. The National marketing campaign is better than the Golf: $2,000 down, and $249/month, 12k miles per year. You can get the + version for $2,000 down and $279/month. There were early reports of dealers charging more initially, but the dealer inventory shows lots of vehicles available. As of today there are 78 within 50 miles of 94061 zip code.

When they fist came out I drove one, and after about 5 minutes talking to the manager of the Kia dealership I went to, he verbally agreed to lease me the + version for the $2k down and $279/month price. See the Kia Soul EV thread for additional details.

</end thread hijack>

RT

GG,
You might want to check out the Kia Soul. The National marketing campaign is better than the Golf: $2,000 down, and $249/month, 12k miles per year. You can get the + version for $2,000 down and $279/month. There were early reports of dealers charging more initially, but the dealer inventory shows lots of vehicles available. As of today there are 78 within 50 miles of 94061 zip code.

When they fist came out I drove one, and after about 5 minutes talking to the manager of the Kia dealership I went to, he verbally agreed to lease me the + version for the $2k down and $279/month price. See the Kia Soul EV thread for additional details.

</end thread hijack>

RT

I think the markups on EGolfs won't last very long. Give it a few weeks and you'll see the same pattern as with the Soul.

I thought your NADA was there to protect the consumer:tongue:? That is what all of their PR spin doctors seem to be spewing out lately.
I found their code of ethics online...

• Operate this business in accord with the highest standards of ethical conduct. FAIL
  • Treat each customer in a fair, open, and honest manner, and fully comply with all laws that prohibit discrimination. FAIL
  • Meet the transportation needs of our customers in a knowledgeable and professional manner. FAIL
  • Represent our products clearly and factually, standing fully behind our warranties, direct and implied, and in all other ways justifying the customer’s respect and confidence. FAIL
  • Advertise our products in a positive, factual, and informative manner. FAIL
  • Detail charges to assist our customers in understanding repair work and provide written estimates of any service work to be performed, upon request, or as required by law. Hang on - so they only supply the info when asked or required to - not as a courtesy. (Not really related your your case)
  • Resolve customer concerns promptly and courteously. FAIL
  • Put our promises in writing and stand behind them. FAIL

Does that sum up your experience?

No, actually. It has been FAR worse ! :cursing:

Thought about the Soul but, couldn't get my wife and son to bite. They liken it to a shoebox-on-wheels!

The e-Golf supply may improve but, many of the incoming ones have apparently been "spoken for" months in advance. I've to reserve one with a refundable $500 deposit and then would be at the dealer's mercy wrt the final deal when the car eventually arrives.

Tracking down Ford Focus Electrics now; there are not a lot of them around as of now.

Thanks! Will revisit both the e-Golf and the FFE status in December/January.

As someone who owned a GTI and absolutely loved it, I am very interested in the eGolf. But I also have a FFE. And I love that car as well. I would definitely compare and drive both of them.

As for the FFE, make sure to fold up the seat bottoms, then fold down the seats in the FFE. Also take out the rear 'organizer'. There is actually quite a lot of room in the car, although the hump is pretty crappy for moving big items, it can hold LOTS of small items.

Just drove away with the e-Golf! 36-month lease, 30k miles, $2,349 down, $299 + tax per month:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418510859.348186.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418510870.648916.jpg