Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen E-Golf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GG: what made you discount the Leaf? Please don't tell me it's the looks.

Same or higher range, much cheaper and I guess more roomier too - so how did the eGolf displace the Leaf ?

I wish I had more choice here in Texas.

Hi mk, it was indeed the looks, mostly. We almost got the Leaf earlier this year but, my wife wasn't fully onboard.

Have to say, the e-Golf's a great-looking car and drives very well as well. Actually, having test driven the Leaf and the Ford Focus Electric as well, I felt that the e-Golf offered the best non-Tesla EV driving experience.

Hi mk, it was indeed the looks, mostly. We almost got the Leaf earlier this year but, my wife wasn't fully onboard.

Have to say, the e-Golf's a great-looking car and drives very well as well. Actually, having test driven the Leaf and the Ford Focus Electric as well, I felt that the e-Golf offered the best non-Tesla EV driving experience.

I really really like the egolf. Better than all the others excluding one. I think the Mercedes offers best non tesla EV experience. $10,000 better? Depends on your resources.

My list is: Tesla, Mercedes, VW, BMW, Leaf. (I haven't yet driven the soul)

I find it interesting that VW held an analyst review of the egolf in northern VA but it does not appear the car is for sale here? VW US headquarters is here. Is it a compliance car or no?

Strange indeed. It's available in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont, for now.

I don't think it's quite a compliance car as it's been on sale in Europe for a while now and, I believe, has recently taken over the monthly EV sales leader spot in Norway:

EV Sales: Norway November 2014

Andrew, I asked VWoA the same thing but no response. It is available at some Maryland dealers like Bethesda and we can buy from there.

GG, what's your review after a week of ownership? What's the range you are getting out of it. And did you install a J1772 I'm guessing it doesn't really have a NEMA-14-50 and 110V would take very long!?

Treker, loving the car so far. Looks nice and drives really smooth. Range starts off at about 98 miles in the morning and after a roughly-58 mile commute (most of it on the hwy) for my wife, still see 40-odd miles left.

Oh, as for charging, with the help of the QuickChargePower folks, I got my previous Tesla UMC converted into a JESLA. I plug it into a NEMA 10-30 electric dryer outlet in the garage and that has worked well.

Conversion:
UMC conversion to J1772 (JESLA)

Full JESLA (without a prior UMC):
JESLA is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!

Treker, loving the car so far. Looks nice and drives really smooth. Range starts off at about 98 miles in the morning and after a roughly-58 mile commute (most of it on the hwy) for my wife, still see 40-odd miles left.

Oh, as for charging, with the help of the QuickChargePower folks, I got my previous Tesla UMC converted into a JESLA. I plug it into a NEMA 10-30 electric dryer outlet in the garage and that has worked well.

Conversion:
UMC conversion to J1772 (JESLA)

Full JESLA (without a prior UMC):
JESLA is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the car. I had a question in regards to your range, does highway or cold weather affect it at all like other EVs? I currently am commuting 60 miles each way to and from work with my MS but looking at the E Golf as a another option to commute with and share the MS with my wife. I was looking at the fiat since it was so cheap but I would not make it one way because of the highway 70 mph drive for the first 40-45 miles.

That seems like a great deal on the lease. I'm going go test drive it sometime this week along with the B class.

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the car. I had a question in regards to your range, does highway or cold weather affect it at all like other EVs? I currently am commuting 60 miles each way to and from work with my MS but looking at the E Golf as a another option to commute with and share the MS with my wife. I was looking at the fiat since it was so cheap but I would not make it one way because of the highway 70 mph drive for the first 40-45 miles.

That seems like a great deal on the lease. I'm going go test drive it sometime this week along with the B class.

Yes, highway driving does reduce the range, fast. Haven't had to use the HVAC much though; preferring the seat warmers instead so, the effect of HVAC use on range in cold weather is to be seen. The battery is air-cooled (not actively liquid-cooled) so, not sure what the overall effect on range is due to cold weather.

60 miles each way to work is just fine as long as you have charging options at work - it sounds like you have.

Got a chance to test drive the E Golf today and it is a great car. Very smooth and comfortable and has a decent amount of room along. It would def be a great addition to help offset the miles on my MS. Gotta convince the wife is the next part.

I gave the E-Golf a test drive today. I'm considering two more EV's for our family garage. The Golf handles beautifully and the seats are very comfortable. I like the fact that there is plenty of seating and cargo space. I did my test drive at Neftin VW in Westlake, CA. The salesman Rene Cabrera was very accommodating. I would recommend him to anyone in the area. They have one white E-Golf in stock now. 805-630-8816.