Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen E-Golf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't get the eGolf here in VA. It's available in MD and DC, but VW changed the terms to say the car has to be titled in one of the following states (essentially the CARB list), vs it's available in the following states. So even though I'm 7 miles away from MD I can't buy one, unless I want to get super creative. The range is still possibly problematic for me in the winter; it has to be able to go 70 miles consistently and comfortably between charges. I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap CPO 40 or 60, but so far haven't found anything that fits the bill.

Last edited:
Can't get the eGolf here in VA. It's available to MD and DC, but VW changed the terms to say the car has to be titled in one of the following states (essentially the CARB list), vs it's available in the following states. So even though I'm 7 miles away from MD I can't buy one, unless I want to get super creative. The range is still possibly problematic for me in the winter; it has to be able to go 70 miles consistently and comfortably between charges. I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap CPO 40 or 60, but so far haven't found anything that fits the bill.

Ginen your range needs, perhaps a 2016 Leaf or Mercedes B-class would be more suitable than the eGolf. Both have about 105 EPA miles (using range mode on the B-class).

GSP

Ginen your range needs, perhaps a 2016 Leaf or Mercedes B-class would be more suitable than the eGolf. Both have about 105 EPA miles (using range mode on the B-class).

GSP

I'll look at the 2016 leaf, but given the battery degregation on the previous models I'm suspect. For now we're living with a volt as our second EV, and charging twice a day. The B class is too much car for this purpose (kid transport car).

Can't get the eGolf here in VA. It's available in MD and DC, but VW changed the terms to say the car has to be titled in one of the following states (essentially the CARB list), vs it's available in the following states. So even though I'm 7 miles away from MD I can't buy one, unless I want to get super creative. The range is still possibly problematic for me in the winter; it has to be able to go 70 miles consistently and comfortably between charges. I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap CPO 40 or 60, but so far haven't found anything that fits the bill.
Only been 4 days for me, but I'd be very confident about 70 miles on eGolf except during winter or fast highway driving. I'd give you a winter update but there's no winter here. You are probably correct for VA.

This article seems to have slipped by without notice so I'll post it here:
Everything we know about Volkswagen's next Golf

Key takeaways

- VW appear to *actually* be focusing on electrification from the top down in the wake of DG (which was something many here could see as a logical continuation, and the only way to remove their brand from the smog it is now synonymous with)
- Golf Mk VIII will have 2 platforms - MQB for the ICE/Hybrid models and a dedicated skateboard style MQB derivative called MEB for the medium range BEV.
- New CEO Dr Diess is targeting 300km (186mi) of real world range for the new e-Golf
- Usual blathering about customers wanting connectivity (yawn)
- The ICE Golf VIII will be using updated versions of current 1.4, 1.6 & 2.0L power plants initially, paving way for a new 1.5L petrol engine which is currently under development. This unit will be expensive to produce (and subsequently buy) as it meets the stricter 2020 EURO emissions regs (and probably fatal to any owners pocket beyond warranty, which may nudge many customers towards the BEV Golf :tongue:)

Much like Mr Musk I look forward enthusiastically to the day where BEV's are common place. What greater a sign of said times than when the most ubiquitous of vehicles (here in Australia, at least) can be seen whizzing silently down the streets without emissions!

As always, delivery of product will be the real signifier of intent from our recently naughty German friends. If the price is right and manufacturing able to cope with demand I feel this electrification strategy may prove very successful.

Still no answer to the charging network question though - therefore my first BEV will be a Tesla (one of these days :rolleyes:)

Reactions: Tedkidd
Yep. And from NHTSA's site:

RECALL Subject : Electric Motor may Shutdown Unexpectedly
Report Receipt Date: MAR 07, 2016
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V138000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Manufacturer: Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2015-2016 e-Golf vehicles manufactured May 21, 2014, to March 1, 2016. Oversensitive diagnostics for the high-voltage battery management system may falsely detect an electrical surge resulting in the vehicle's electric drive motor shutting down unexpectedly.
CONSEQUENCE:
An unexpected vehicle shutdown can increase the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Volkswagen has notified owners, and dealers will update the battery management software, free of charge. The recall began March 15, 2016. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1-800-893-5298. Volkswagen's number for this recall is 93B4.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Unfortunately, the associated documents don't seem to say how many reports there were.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM499320/RCLRPT-16V138-8876.PDF says stuff like this
Description of the Defect : Under certain conditions, oversensitive diagnostics in the high-voltage battery
management system may inadvertently classify a brief internal electrical current
surge/peak as a critical battery condition. This can cause an emergency shutdown
of the high-voltage battery, which in turn deactivates the vehicle’s electrical drive
motor. Unexpected shutdown of the vehicle’s electrical drive motor (“stalling”) can
lead to a crash.
Other vehicle systems like power steering, brakes, lights and airbags remain
unaffected as they are powered by the 12V low voltage system.
FMVSS 1 :NR
FMVSS 2 :NR
Description of the Safety Risk : Unexpected shutdown of the vehicle’s electrical drive motor (“stalling”) can
lead to a crash.
Description of the Cause : Oversensitive battery diagnosis may inadvertently classify a short internal electrical
current surge or peak as critical battery condition and trigger a high voltage battery
emergency shutdown.

Chronology :
In early 2015, Volkswagen received first information about single stalling events from the US market. Analysis
was initiated, but failures could not be reproduced.
In June 2015, a stalling event occurred in an internal test vehicle which was equipped with measurement
equipment. Analysis was re-initiated.
In the fall of 2015, development created test environments to reproduce the recorded event and to develop
countermeasures.
During December 2015 and January 2016, Volkswagen started to receive additional complaints about stalling
events from the US market.
On February 26, 2016, the matter was brought to Volkswagen's product safety committee and a determination
of defect was made.

On the MyVWeGolf forum there are at least 6-8 reports from people that have had the e-Golf stall on them. VW is really under-representing the problem. There are also people in Europe who have reported this problem on the Facebook group, but there is no indication that VW is doing anything for them.

I also have a RAV4 EV. I think both VW and Toyota are providing software fixes for a single failure mode that they have isolated, but cars are still failing in other modes, even after the fix, in the case of the RAV. That said, my cars have never had any problems like this and I like them both for what they are.

On the MyVWeGolf forum there are at least 6-8 reports from people that have had the e-Golf stall on them. VW is really under-representing the problem. There are also people in Europe who have reported this problem on the Facebook group, but there is no indication that VW is doing anything for them.

I also have a RAV4 EV. I think both VW and Toyota are providing software fixes for a single failure mode that they have isolated, but cars are still failing in other modes, even after the fix, in the case of the RAV.
And, we've had way more than 6-8 reports of Model S drivers losing propulsion while in motion and there are vocal few who steadfastly insist one or more of these and as reasons the incidents shouldn't be reported to NHTSA or the appropriate safety agency (even after attempts are made to remedy): it's not a safety issue :rolleyes:, it's "random", it "happens all the time" w/ICEVs or other cars, "mommy government", shouldn't clog NHTSA w/these reports esp since it's "not" a safety issue, shouldn't waste Tesla's time and resources, etc.

I think it's very safe to assume the above is very underrepresented and under-reported for the Model S due to the above attitudes, probably more so than most other makes and models.

I think it's very safe to assume the above is very underrepresented and under-reported for the Model S due to the above attitudes, probably more so than most other makes and models.
True. However, Tesla also does things like proactively replace contactors, which is one cause of the issue in Model S. VW and Toyota are not doing anything proactive and are likely only doing anything at all about it because NHTSA is asking questions about the reports in their system. They also both chose software solutions as a remedy. Coincidence? I don't think so.

amazed how quickly ppl forget about the VAG group cheating on emissions, gravely polluting the environment, and statisticlally responsible for tens of thousands of deaths. And they are still wriggling, squirming around their responsibilities.

Having spend $300K+ on numerous Audis in the past I, for one, will never deal with that disgusting company again.

They should be hit where it hurts which means buying anything but a VW/Audi.
This is the only way corporate abuse can be tackled.

amazed how quickly ppl forget about the VAG group cheating on emissions, gravely polluting the environment, and statisticlally responsible for tens of thousands of deaths. And they are still wriggling, squirming around their responsibilities.

Having spend $300K+ on numerous Audis in the past I, for one, will never deal with that disgusting company again.

They should be hit where it hurts which means buying anything but a VW/Audi.
This is the only way corporate abuse can be tackled.
VW emissions cheat estimated to cause 59 premature US deaths