Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen Gigafactory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ironic that you think Tesla's expenditure is nothing, when everyone else's actual capacity is minuscule compared to what Tesla and Panasonic have, and will have in the near future. Between the Panasonic plants in Osaka and the Gigafactory investment thus far, the amount of infrastructure spend is roughly $2 billion. By mid 2017, the investment is going to be more like $3.5 billion with a resulting capacity of about 25 GWh. That's more than LG Chem + Samsung SDI + SK Innovations + AESC put together, by more than double.
Do you have any source for global battery production. Have been looking for one and not really found anything.
Anyone that is a German native speaker want to chime in?
Seems fine.

streamers is not a good translation though. In German electricity is called Strom and Stromer is basically created out of that word which basically just means electric car.

Where do you see this?
PDF linked in Post #9 of this thread.

VW Group Electrification Slide.jpg

Yeah.. Ok, that's 30 new BEVs by 2025, but the next line says 2-3 million e-cars, not BEVs. That 3rd bullet point includes all EVs, including PHEVs. Otherwise, they would use the same language... Pure-electric is used on the 2nd line, e-cars on the 3rd.

Reading comprehension for the win! Thank you @techmaven - those bullets were artfully arranged and conveyed to me, the idea that VW is thinking 2-3M BEVs per year in 2025.

My flickering respect for VW and the possibility of a real competitor in the decade timeframe has gone down :|

Update - and to be clear, Tesla has a higher starting point on my respect meter; they also lower themselves when they artfully arrange incompatible ideas together in a way that makes them read like they're related. Starts at $50k! Available in 300 mile range!

Reactions: neroden
Yeah.. Ok, that's 30 new BEVs by 2025, but the next line says 2-3 million e-cars, not BEVs. That 3rd bullet point includes all EVs, including PHEVs. Otherwise, they would use the same language... Pure-electric is used on the 2nd line, e-cars on the 3rd.
Of course, any appropriately skeptical person would understand that bullet points 2 and 3 are independent thoughts. Only a fanboy would assume that the total volume of #3 would be derived from only the BEVs in #2. The use of the non-specific term "e-car" is clearly code for "electrified vehicle" which is a favorite of other automakers like Ford who use it for standard hybrid, plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles.

Having 30 distinct pure electric models across the VW Group by 2025 is still impressive.

My .02 -- it honestly doesn't matter what language the slide uses. Ultimately, their EV/PH-EV breakout will be determined by sales.

And, if you believe the pace of battery improvements will continue at 5-10% per year, then by 2025 BEVs will be cheaper at all price points than ICE vehicles. When that happens, there will be no point in buying a less-reliable, more complex ICE vehicle, nor will there be any reasonable point in strapping an engine next to a battery.

Since when can weathermen predict the weather, let alone the future?

Reactions: jsrawa
My .02 -- it honestly doesn't matter what language the slide uses. Ultimately, their EV/PH-EV breakout will be determined by sales.

And, if you believe the pace of battery improvements will continue at 5-10% per year, then by 2025 BEVs will be cheaper at all price points than ICE vehicles. When that happens, there will be no point in buying a less-reliable, more complex ICE vehicle, nor will there be any reasonable point in strapping an engine next to a battery.

Since when can weathermen predict the weather, let alone the future?
I agree. Sales will determine the breakout.

Here's some calculation. 150GWh / 2million cars = 75kWh per car, 3 million cars = 50kWh per car. Based on this calc VW seems to consider very high rate of BEVs among 2M-3M e-cars they produce.

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven
It would be unfortunate if the folks at Volkswagen found themselves with $15,300,000,000 less than expected. Anyone know how much they set aside?

:)

Likely around $0 since they didn't expect to get caught. But not to worry, the pound has gotten very cheap (the original post said they're supposed to invest £8 billion). Now if only pigs could fly...

Did I hear it right, recently, that VW don't intend to pay any compensation to European Customers?

Opportunity for a Windfall post-BRExit perhaps? ...
Yes. The settlement was with US courts so applies US only. There still is litigation in various other places; one question is whether a, say, German solution would apply to the UK also, or be limited to a given country.

I agree. Sales will determine the breakout.

Here's some calculation. 150GWh / 2million cars = 75kWh per car, 3 million cars = 50kWh per car. Based on this calc VW seems to consider very high rate of BEVs among 2M-3M e-cars they produce.

In 2018 or even 2020, 50 kWh might be considered significant. However, by 2025? I think the low end is 75 kWh by that point, and the high end is well over 100 kWh. Considering they have Audi and Porsche in their production mix and they likely lead the transition from the high end and trickle down to the low end, I would say an average of 90 kWh in 2025 is more reasonable.

In any case, @Alketi is right, consumer behavior will drive the market. In any case, 150 GWh by 2025 is not particularly a high number for the world's largest car maker by volume.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I thought, but may have my facts wrong, that VW had announced that there would be no compensation to European customers?
You are right
VW emissions scandal: VW Group agrees to $15bn settlement with US owners

In the second part of this article it's discussed.
This is one of the reasons why I will never own a Volkswagen in my life, and I will try to prevent anyone I can from buying one.
I will also never work for that company.
(Semi-related note: I'm starting my first job at a company that develops infrastructure for EVs in cities tomorrow. I am overjoyed and just had to get it out.)