Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen I.D. concept video reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also think it looks great.

Sure, it's just a concept car, but I think it looks fairly realistic.
Interior will likely be a bit different, rear doors might be different, and of course, it may have mirrors instead of cameras.
On the other hand, by 2020, cameras might actually be allowed instead of side mirrors.

A range of 600 km (375 miles) in the NEDC is more like 280-300 miles in the EPA cycle, but that would still be a pretty good range.

In comparison to the Chevrolet Bolt or BMW i3, this car also looks like it has a fairly decent drag coefficient, though probably not quite as good as a Tesla due to the rear of the car. Perhaps around 0.25 or so – compared to the terrible 0.32 of the Bolt.

Interestingly, in a German interview with Herbert Diess (who presents the car in the aforementioned video), he said that VW plans on delivering hundreds of thousands of these cars starting 2020, especially in China, because this is likely to be the most important market for electric cars.
He also said that Tesla has a lot of knowledge and is not easy to catch up to, but that catching up to Tesla is the goal.

Here's a link to the interview (in German).

Since they are using engine compartment for legroom (no frunk) I wonder how safe ID will be?

Prototype and renderings show seating for 4 not five yet it was announced as seating 5...considering how little space there's in between maybe it's the right move.

Last edited: