Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen I.D. Orders In Europe With Tesla-Style Deposits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volkswagen will go the electric Tesla way.

According to the latest news, the introduction of the upcoming Volkswagen I.D. in Europe will be preceded by the launch of a new order system requiring small deposits in a Tesla-like style.

In such a way, Volkswagen will be able to get knowledge about the real demand and prioritize customers who placed deposits, before cars will be widely available in showrooms.

VW’s Norwegian team believes that customers in Norway alone will place some 10,000 pre-orders.

The production of I.D. hatchback for Europe should start in November 2019, while the market launch will begin in early 2020.

It’s not yet clear whether a similar system will be utilized in the U.S. for I.D. CROZZ, when it hits the market in 2020 at earliest.

Source: Automotive News

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Michel3
I have been hot on VW, saying they will be the leader in EV'S next decade but... why do they choose such weird names for their cars? (ID CROZZ) Sorry to be prejudice but.. Is this a German thing. Come on guys! really, this name is LAME

I wish they get 450,000 reservations. Don't think VW wish for that though. They wouldn't be able to make that many and they don't want too many of their ICE customers to wait for the EV.
I think you might be surprised. VW / VAG have stated that they are going to transfer completely towards BEV in 10 years. It's a huge company. I expect they know that it's make or bust, so they will put all of their resources into the transition and will ramp up production as fast as they can.
Of course they will keep selling ICE cars, to earn money for the transition and to get a return on investments in the past. But VW said that 2025 will be the last year they are bringing a new ICE-model. Which means they will all together stop producing ICE cars before 2030.
The sooner their BEV-models will become profitable, the better. So of course they want to produce and sell as many as they can.
VAG is the second biggest car company in the world, with the makes Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Seat, Škoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Ducati, Lamborghini, and Caterpillar.

I think you might be surprised. VW / VAG have stated that they are going to transfer completely towards BEV in 10 years. It's a huge company. I expect they know that it's make or bust, so they will put all of their resources into the transition and will ramp up production as fast as they can.
Of course they will keep selling ICE cars, to earn money for the transition and to get a return on investments in the past. But VW said that 2025 will be the last year they are bringing a new ICE-model. Which means they will all together stop producing ICE cars before 2030.
The sooner their BEV-models will become profitable, the better. So of course they want to produce and sell as many as they can.
VAG is the second biggest car company in the world, with the makes Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Seat, Škoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Ducati, Lamborghini, and Caterpillar.

To be honest I seriously doubt they want that to happen, not at least until they have no choice but have to. There is no way you can be that serious of EV and "keep selling ICE cars" when both types share the same customer base and investment money. VW like all other companies still have tens or hundreds of billions invested in ICE R&D and plants and equipments that they need to recover.

Not to mention I don't believe a single word VW says anymore. Not that I have that great trust of what other companies say but VW is just the worst of the worse. If you still have any hope of that company you should go watch the Netflix documentary "Dirty Money", "Hard Nox" episode. Those people cheated and then cheated more when were discorverd. All those just for some extra profit with no regard of people's health or even life. Never would believe that company again.

I think you might be surprised. VW / VAG have stated that they are going to transfer completely towards BEV in 10 years.
Read the fine print. That's not what they've said. They have been seemingly intentionally obfuscating about this but their public BEV plans at this point are much, much more modest than that. They are talking up "electrifying" somewhere sort of in the time range but that reads a lot more like primarily hybrids (and not even all plug-ins) and this squares with the money they've officially allocated for battery production/purchases. At roughly current unit sales it is more like a 1-2kWh/vehicle than the 25-30kWh they'll need for even modest range BEVs.

Really it looks like their current plan is primarily to twin their ICE line-up with hybrids, with a mix of plug-in and "self-charging", and the MEB is more like getting the BEV portion of their offerings up into the range of 10% in that time, via the MEB platform.

Reactions: Jaguar