Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen ID4 Interface Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey folks, considering there're two weeks of Tesla interface criticism on here, I had to laugh when I just read this review on the [Volkswagen] ID4 interface. This is brutal, maybe makes you feel slightly better about V11??.....here're just the key points:

Touchscreens are complex, yet ubiquitous experiences with a wide range of interpretations and executions in 2021. It’s not smart to relegate all touchscreen-based automotive interactions to a fiery Gehenna. I, do not subscribe to the typical auto journo “touchscreen bad, button good”, the overwhelming majority of cell phones are complete touch screens with no buttons, and yet, most work really well. The Polestar 2’s infotainment and HVAC controls are completely touchscreen-based, yet I found them generally easy to navigate and use on the move.

Where the Polestar 2 was iPhone-like, The ID.4 was more akin to my brother’s old Blackberry Storm, from 2009. Remember that phone? It was an early attempt at touchscreen cellphones, but the whole screen depressed like a button. On the surface, that sounds cool, until you learn that each button press can only register one keystroke, rendering speed typing or multitasking on the Blackberry Storm, a deliberate, and slow process. And that’s how the ID.4’s infotainment, steering wheel controls, window switches, and HVAC controls are; VW’s unwisely made every keypress a dim-witted touch capacitive button, that are both not sensitive and hypersensitive. Steering wheel volume and cruise control presses sometimes don’t register, or maybe they register too much. It’s really the luck of the draw.

The infotainment screen was prone to freezing, and the menus themselves weren’t easy to parse out on the move. Each menu looked different, but not different enough to quickly disseminate what the hell you were looking at while driving. Luckily, the ID.4 has Apple Carplay, which covers a lot of sins with respect to the radio, but the HVAC controls are also touch-capacitive. Navigating away from Apple CarPlay, and into the HVAC and charging menus was a buggy, slow, mess, filled with unnecessary (and slow) animations of a moving ID.4. Oh, and for some reason, Volkswagen didn’t feel like illuminating the HVAC hotkeys at night. Good luck.

Other driver ancillary functions weren’t easy to parse out on the move, either. The touchpad for the lights is cryptic. The window switches require a press on the “rear” button to operate. Like the infotainment screen, that little “rear” button might not register your button press. Generally, I don’t like lane-keep assist, but the option to turn it off, is buried in a cryptic menu, and the car refuses to remember your selection after you turn the vehicle off. Each time I wanted to drive the ID.4 and not be annoyed, it would take me a solid thirty seconds on the side of the road, scrolling around menus in a shitty system, searching for “turn off lane keep assist” switch. The user experience is so bad, I completely understand why a potential buyer would about-face, and run out of the Volkswagen dealership, screaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a useful review. Didn't know about that website before, thanks. ID.4 clearly wasn't meant to be exciting to drive, so I haven't paid it much mind, not my kind of car.

Now I know not to recommend an ID.4. It sounds awful to drive even if you want boring. Shame because it's an EV, a nice size (not too big or too small), and even looks good in person, better than most crossovers out there.

Having driven an ID.4, I can tell you it's not at all awful to drive. It's 'perfectly fine' - comfortable enough, decent over bumps, etc. It handles well enough, is quick enough for general use, and its a spacious car to use as a daily driver.

The infotainment system, however, is an utter disaster. Having to use anything outside of Apple CarPlay is a miserable experience. Also, whoever decided that capacitive buttons was a good idea needs a slap.

If you want an electric SUV/larger crossover, then I'd sooner look at the Skoda Enyaq iV instead. Or the Model Y of course.

Hot take incoming:

The ID4 UI is buggy as heck, and the capacitive interface is a crime. But I still prefer driving my wife’s ID4 over my v11 Y. Critical touch points are easy to find in the VW. The backup camera works and does not lag. It has wireless CarPlay that lets me play directly from Spotify instead of whatever dollar store streaming service is being promoted in v11. Binnacle with easy to read driving data. Big side view mirrors with blind spot indicators.

I’m just getting more pissed every time I drive my Y anymore.

The ID.4 controls sound maddening. There is no reason to put up with that on a daily driver. I'm annoyed enough by the Model 3's stupid return-to-center turn stalk, but at least the Model 3 is seriously fun, and the rest of the controls work fine. I believe that the ID.4 drives well enough and probably better than most ICE crossovers, but that's not reason to put up with a car full of terrible controls every day.

Touchscreens are good if done well, better than having an endless sea of tiny buttons if the car has a lot of features and settings to control. Like German cars used to have before iDrive/MMI/etc.

Physical knobs and buttons can be great, if the car doesn't need too many and they can be decent sized, well placed, and easy to differentiate.

Capacitive buttons are truly the worst of both worlds. I already know this from the times I've driven 1st gen Chevy Volts. I would be embarrassed if I worked on the ID.4 which sounds worse than the Volt controls.

Going back to that ID.4 review, that crappy blended brake pedal feel would drive me nuts too. Can you enable strong one-pedal regen on the ID.4 so you don't need to use the brake pedal much? That would make it not much of an issue...

Reactions: Boza
My wife has an ID3, which has the same driver UI and tech as the ID4. The whole system is a complete mess - slow, buggy, unintuitive, terrible physical buttons, etc. On top of that VW’s app is woeful, and the back-end systems which support it all are unreliable - meaning even the things that the app can do, like turning on the HVAC, are unreliable. But any hope it’ll get better by ÔTA need tempering since that’s a mess too, even if VW’s software group were any good at fixing stuff, which it appears it isn’t.

Worse, VW have now built a huge new software division (CARIAD) to push VAG into the future - and I’m pretty sure they’ll be scrapping the platform in the current ID vehicles. So the liklihood is that current ID owners already own obsolete tech. At least Tesla more or less have the same platform today they had 5 years ago and most updates go to most cars.

Aside from the tech though, the ID3 is a nice car. It drives well, is very refined, and has excellent build quality, and I still hate the V11 UI in my Model 3!