TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volkswagen releasing 40 new EVs and hybrids!

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by yobigd20, Sep 9, 2013.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Volkswagen just made a major announcement and jumped on the EV/hybrid bandwagon:

http://www.streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Tesla+%28TSLA%29%2C+GM+%28GM%29+Have+Work+Cut+Out+as+Volkswagen+Plans+Large+EV%2C+Hybrid+Initiative/8671196.html

Basically, they are introducing 14 EVs and hybrids next year (2014), and if demand is sufficient, about 40 models will be fitted as EVs or hybrids by 2018.

2. Benz

Benz Active Member

A complete list of those 14 EV's and Hybrids for 2014 is not available?

3. Kratus

Kratus Member

Bring'em on, VW!
    We'll see when they'll be available in dealerships.

4. yobigd20

5. texex91

texex91 Banned

VW has some serious cash, so I wouldn't go dismissing them just yet. Between owning VW, Porsche, Audi and others--they are a serious contender trust me.

Interesting:
    Volkswagen launches bold offensive for age of electric mobility
    Group sets sights on market leadership in electric mobility by 2018
    • Multi-billion investment in new technologies, 70,000 employees trained
    • Initially choice of 14 electric and hybrid models by 2014
    • Winterkorn: "We are starting at exactly the right time"

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I really hope they make a car that can compete with the Model S, X and GenIII. I really do, but I highly doubt it for all the reasons that have plagued others but it all revolves around ICE. Here's to hoping Volkswagen can build something compelling from the ground up that is something that I will find more valuable than my current Tesla.

7. yobigd20

yeah that's the piece that I was confused a bit about. It sounded like they were retrofitting existing vehicle models rather than building new ones from the ground up.

8. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Using existing vehicles is the ultimate compromise. These guys just don't get it.

9. texex91

texex91 Banned

Agreed. However they will use what they have now while building from the ground EVs while trying to get market share.

Even more reason Tesla needs to keep cranking.

10. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

The problem with that is when the vehicles don't sell, then they will be like "we tried, but nobody wants EV's". Good thing Tesla exists to show that people will pay good money for excellent engineering, and quality.

11. Benz

Benz Active Member

Indeed.

12. texex91

texex91 Banned

Im a huge Tesla fan obviously. However huge co like VW isn't going to invest billions and just walk away. I agree their initial products may not inspire, but they have the dealer and brand network to make things happen pretty quick.

Again I look for validation of EV vs considering them a threat (albeit they could be long term).

13. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

If all of them are ugly...

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

This is interesting to hear. If do e right, could bring me back to the VWAG fold -- especially if it goes up the line to Audi. They always could do nice interiors.

15. hileyms

hileyms Member

You could buy this one for $146,040. Its called the XL1 and they expect to sell them to collectors

2078904761693993813.jpg

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

VW sold me a car once--never again.

17. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I am driving a Golf GTI at the moment and it is my all time favorite car (so far / until i get a Tesla). I always loved the idea of having an electric version of this car with similar or better performance.

The E-Golf they are showing is like all non-tesla EVs, a city car. They again give it a roughly 100 mile range. This truly surprises me as most families in Europe and Asia only have one car and a car like this would make it impossible to use it for any kind of road trips. I am guessing they will combine this with a rental/loan program.

Tesla needs to worry as soon as we see some kind of indication that VW (or one of its brands) is going to build a 200+ mile car. The market share and money behind this company is truly staggering.

18. texex91

texex91 Banned

#18 texex91, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    First, we are all on the same page--see Tesla become a huge success.

VW owns more than just VW obviously. Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, etc. did they ever sell you one of those? They have sold me 3 Porsches and 2 Audis--all 5 great cars.

That's the potential concern is that they own multiple brands which could really make a dent, outside of VW. They did $192 billion Euro in revenue in 2012, so point is have the ability to dump tons into R&D.

One can just turn a blind eye or actually understand ultimately there will be true competitors to Tesla. However, competition is good. We want that. Drives prices down, innovation up, makes our Teslas more exciting down the road. I wouldn't spend $115k on a P85+ if I don't believe in the S.

More competition validates the EV market, which is a GOOD thing.

19. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

If existing entries like the Touareg and Jetta hybrid are good indications of direction, they will still take a back seat to their TDI line in terms of efficiency (most likely purposefully by adding extra ICE performance most hybrid buyers don't care about). Plus they probably require premium fuel.

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

People want things that don't suck. If they pass that bar then they can get by with an inferior product simply because they are a large company and some people are more comfortable with that.