Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen to reveal EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Volkswagen eGolf Electric Car Arrives in California | AutoGuide.com News
...20 electric VW Golfs will make their way to America for testing, and Volkswagen will build a total of 500 to test its new electric powertrain....
...Currently the battery pack in the eGolf stores 26.5 kilowatt-hours of electricity giving the vehicle a range of 93 miles and has a 0-60 mph time of 11.8 seconds. Top speed is currently rated at 87-mph...
the-vw-electric-golf.jpg

Where did you read the 80kW DC-charging? And what about 3-phase?
One of the comments...
Bipo said:
Muy buen primer eléctrico de VW, a ver qué pasa con su precio.

Me alegra ver que monta el conector Combo2, eso permitirá recargar a 80 kW de potencia en corriente continua. Me muero de ganas de ver la nota de prensa para saber qué potencia acepta en trifásica, aunque supongo que será de 22 kW.
Bing Translator said:
Very good first electric VW, to see what happens with your price.

I am glad to see that you mounted the Combo2 connector, this will allow recharge to 80 kW of power in DC. I'm looking forward to see the press release to find out what power accepted in three-phase, although I suppose it 22 kW.

No idea whether it's accurate.

My bet is on "the cabling and connecter are rated for as high as 80 kW" not that you will get that with current charging stations and receptacles.

2014 e-Golf leaked: Volkswagen e-Golf VII (2014) - ForoCoches

The first production car with a Combo2 socket that allows ultraquick-charging up to 80 kW.

Thats really stupid. only 1 phase 16A AC. But why the COMBO? The type 2 is good for 3x63A = 44kW AC or 140A 500V = 70kW DC. And with the size of the batterie, no way for 80kW charging or only for a few seconds, then it will be dialed down.

Last edited:
Thats really stupid. only 1 phase 16A AC. But why the COMBO? The type 2 is good for 3x63A = 44kW AC or 140A 500V = 70kW DC. And with the size of the batterie, no way for 80kW charging or only for a few seconds, then it will be dialed down.

Where have you read the Golf only supports 1-ph 16A? It might be able to handle 3x16A or maybe 3x32A.

Regarding use of Type2 vs Combo2, the main diference for AC is that one gets up to 140A and the other 200A-250A (tbc). Maximum kW depends of the battery voltage, that do NOT uses to be 500V but about 350V. That means 49 kW vs 80 kW, and depending of the C factor that the cells are able to manage safely, would mean several minutes less of charging time.