TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

VolksWagen XL1

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Nik, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

For a second I thought it was like a Tron lightcycle, but I see that it's 4 wheels and more R8-ish. Pretty cool!

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

They keep teasing us with generation after generator of "two inline" high MPG cars.
    Go ahead and put some into production already!

4. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

5. Bud

Bud Member

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

7. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

8. PaulM

PaulM Member

They should stop wasting their time and simply remove the ICE. It'd be soooo much simpler with only an electric drive.

9. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Soother, faster, quicker & none of those oily bits to service and maintain.

With the kind of weight saving and aerodynamics they've employed I'm sure they could do a 200+ mile range solution.

10. PaulM

PaulM Member

Exactly!

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Volkswagen XL1 | Auto Express

"We drive the VW XL1 - world’s most economical car - on the streets of Doha to see what it feels like to return 313mpg."

Interesting comments on this one. People saying why would you want this when there are EVs!

Oh yeah, the mpg and emissions claims here smell about as fishy as GM's claimed 230 did for the Volt.

12. Bud

Bud Member

Thanks for the link to the XL1 drive test! I would like very much to discuss that type of vehicle, but it would have to be in a troll-free environment.

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

14. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Wow those are some skinny bicycle tires. I honestly think some of my friends mountain bikes have wider tires.

I hope it keeps the rear wheel skirts, and they were just taken off for the snow driving. No point in taking them off for a production run.

15. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

250+ miles per gallon, so why get a 100K 2 person no luggage VW??

So why would I get a VW when I can have a Volt now?
    250+ miles per gallon, 4 passenger, hatchback.

volt.PNG

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Volkswagen to Build World's Most Fuel-Efficient Car

Design News - Captain Hybrid - Slideshow: Volkswagen to Build World's Most Fuel-Efficient Car

17. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

I saw it on the Geneva auto salon. VW didn't show any electric car. The XL1 reminds me on the GM EV 1. Same drag coefficient (0.19). But i would prefer EV 1 over the XL1.

18. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I want to see more bigger-battery cars and battery technology improvements. not cheap "workarounds" like using plastic parts in place of metal/steel/aluminum to bring the weight of a car down resulting in a side effect of increased efficiency. you could do the same in an ICE car, really. plastic body panels and roll bars? seriously? no thanks, I wouldn't put my life in jeopardy like that if I were to get broadsided. (that being said, I also wouldn't drive or own a smart car, motorcycle, etc..you get the point). the point here is that it's nothing innovative. If Tesla could drop the weight of the Model S in half, well all of the sudden now you have a 600 mile range EV. whoop-de-do. innovate something new!!

19. agentsmith1612

My thoughts about the XL1:
    I don't understand why the VW engineers put in an electric motor and an ICE with a normal gearbox. Why they didn't use the ICE as an range extender on an generator and drive every time with the electric motor ? I think there is no advantage of the solution that they have chosen.
    Another point is the car looks horrible. A low drag coefficient is on side but at some point it is enough.

VW said 1 L for 100km, but only at the first 100 km, because the first 50 km are full electric. The same description problem like from the Volt.
    After the first 100 km how high is the fuel consumption ? Nobody reported that.

My last concern is, for what application should I use this car ? For city ? I think for city driving the car has a bad circumferential visivbility and for city driving you don't need a so low drag coeffcient. For long long distance drive ? Nobody would drive a long distance drive in this small car. I like EVs and I like efficent cars, but this car is not one that I want to drive.

20. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

They just play number games. The true mileage is what the car will get with the ICE on. It's likely better than the Volt, but nowhere near their made up numbers.