Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VolksWagen XL1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nik

Got there eventually :-)
Jan 18, 2011
Cambridge, UK
VW are to unveil a 313mpg diesel hybrid at the Qatar motor show, according to the BBC.

2 seats, 2 cylinder 800cc engine, 24g/km CO2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12281238
Autoblog Green has a 2-litre engine in the same car, and gives the fuel consumption as 260 miles per [US] Gallon.
Also http://green.autoblog.com/2011/01/25/volkswagen-xl1-concept-260-mpg/
_50951815_4.jpg

Volkswagen to Build World's Most Fuel-Efficient Car

Design News - Captain Hybrid - Slideshow: Volkswagen to Build World's Most Fuel-Efficient Car

Volkswagen AG is planning to roll out a production car that will combine a plug-in hybrid powertrain with low weight and aerodynamic shape to reportedly achieve a startling fuel efficiency rating of 261 miles per gallon (mpg).
Although the mileage numbers will almost certainly drop when a US EPA rating is applied, the XL1, as it’s known, will likely be the most fuel efficient production car in the world. Today‘s best vehicles -- the Honda Fit EV, Scion IQ EV, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, and Ford Focus Electric, among others -- typically have mpg-equivalencies that are less than half that of the proposed VW.

The key to its road-worthiness is its low weight. At 1,753 pounds, it’s less than half of the Chevy Volt’s 3,781 pounds, thanks to liberal use of lightweight materials. Approximately 20 percent of the vehicle employs carbon fiber-reinforced plastic, including the monocoque, body panels, anti-roll bars, and numerous other parts. The brakes also use carbon fiber ceramics, while the engine crankcase, steering gear housing, dampers, and other suspension components are made from aluminum. Even the XL1’s windows were designed with weight reduction in mind, all of them being made from polycarbonate.
VW’s new vehicle may also offer the lowest drag coefficient in production car history. At 0.189, it’s lower than the Toyota Prius (0.25), Tesla Model S (0.24), Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class (0.23), and General Motors’ EV1 (0.195). It accomplishes that with a tadpole-like shape that’s wider at the front than the rear.

The real test of the vehicle’s efficiency, however, may lie in its all-electric performance. Using a 5.5-kWh water-cooled, lithium-ion battery, the XL1 can travel 32 all-electric miles, meaning it gets close to six miles to the kilowatt-hour. That’s almost twice that of the Volt or Leaf.

US EPA test cycles, however, are notoriously tougher. General Motors notably proclaimed a 230-mpg efficiency for the Volt and Nissan said its Leaf would get 367 mpg in 2009, before EPA test cycles put both vehicles closer to 100 mpg-e when they were launched in 2010.

I want to see more bigger-battery cars and battery technology improvements. not cheap "workarounds" like using plastic parts in place of metal/steel/aluminum to bring the weight of a car down resulting in a side effect of increased efficiency. you could do the same in an ICE car, really. plastic body panels and roll bars? seriously? no thanks, I wouldn't put my life in jeopardy like that if I were to get broadsided. (that being said, I also wouldn't drive or own a smart car, motorcycle, etc..you get the point). the point here is that it's nothing innovative. If Tesla could drop the weight of the Model S in half, well all of the sudden now you have a 600 mile range EV. whoop-de-do. innovate something new!!

My thoughts about the XL1:
I don't understand why the VW engineers put in an electric motor and an ICE with a normal gearbox. Why they didn't use the ICE as an range extender on an generator and drive every time with the electric motor ? I think there is no advantage of the solution that they have chosen.
Another point is the car looks horrible. A low drag coefficient is on side but at some point it is enough.

VW said 1 L for 100km, but only at the first 100 km, because the first 50 km are full electric. The same description problem like from the Volt.
After the first 100 km how high is the fuel consumption ? Nobody reported that.

My last concern is, for what application should I use this car ? For city ? I think for city driving the car has a bad circumferential visivbility and for city driving you don't need a so low drag coeffcient. For long long distance drive ? Nobody would drive a long distance drive in this small car. I like EVs and I like efficent cars, but this car is not one that I want to drive.