TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volkswagen's diesel fix plan rejected by Calif. regulators

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by RobStark, Jan 12, 2016.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

DETROIT (Reuters) -- The California Air Resources Board said it rejected Volkswagen AG's plan to fix 2.0-liter diesel cars with software that allow them to emit up to 40 times legally allowable pollution.

The state said today VW's proposed fix was "incomplete, substantially deficient and falls far short of meeting the legal requirements." It also said the fix was not fast enough.

CARB sent VW a confidential letter offering a detailed explanation of why its fix plan does not work.

AR-160119875.jpg

Volkswagen's diesel fix plan rejected by Calif. regulators

I know Das Problem at hand are NO2 not CO2 but thought the included picture in the article was funny. And yet sad.

2. green1

green1 Active Member

While much of this probably has merit, I'm not quite sure how rejecting their fix and sending them back to the drawing board is supposed to speed up the solution...

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

As opposed to what?

They sent them a letter giving detailed reasons why it is not acceptable and what needs changing.

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Good. So far VW's attitude appears to be "oh well, whatever, we got caught, no biggie". Hopefully that's a wake up call for them (though I doubt it)

5. green1

green1 Active Member

That's fine, just don't expect it to be faster.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

VW knows the standards.

CARB does not have some Byzantine undecipherable standards

They can test the potential fix and know if it meets the standard.

These delays are on VW and there foot dragging should be considered when final fines are levied.

7. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

"Under the Clean Air Act statutes, the company could be fined up to $37,500 for every vehicle found in violation." (from http://blog.caranddriver.com/volkswagen-allegedly-openly-violated-epa-diesel-laws-could-face-billions-in-fines/)

And according to
    http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/congress-compels-vw-us-ceo-michael-horn-testify-diesel-crisis at least 482,000 cars in the US are affected.

A cool $18 Billion. Sounds like an adequate fine. And should be used to extend the $7500 EV credit for the first 500k cars from each manufacturer...

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have been a VW fan since my second car (when I could afford one) at 22. It makes me so sad to see this travesty. They deserve all the damning they are getting and will get.