Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagens MODEL X doublette- Prototype Clipper, 560km range, EV, 9 seater, 2 motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

in case it might have been slipped through-
VW finally takes Tesla serious.

a very, very interesting video.
Egger, Audis exHead of Design which they kicked out after one year, still alive (but insecure) , but kept close to DaSilva, the VW group design head.
But at least they didn´t kick him out of the company.

Both now take on Tesla, which shows the importance of the Model X, literally a doublette, including the gullwing doors, and the two motors on two axes.
Giugiaro Clipper concept, first presentation - YouTube

The music is a sheer pain.Might symbolize modernity to them.

they promised a range of 560km, which IMHO will never happen.And they leave the stage so quickly....

thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

even the rear cameras:
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/giugiaro-clipper-is-vw-based-eco.html

It seats 6, not 9.

And if you look carefully at the video you will see that the left rear door fails to close properly first, only on the second try. :smile: The driver gets so stressed he drives aways without waiting for the front door to close properly.

I wonder if the rear door can be opened without the front door first opening?

Speaking of painful music and non functioning vehicle hatches: reminds me of Model X reveal. So Tesla : VW is 2:2 here.
I think the concept is an endorsement of Tesla's upcoming Model X. The Germans will see the VW concept (it will get lots of motor press attention) and then can take delivery of a Model X from 2015 on. :wink:

This car looks quite a bit smaller than the Model X so I don't think this is a direct Model X competitor. That said, I think Tesla should at some point come out with a car for this segment as well. The Model E sized crossover that seats 6.

@T B, I wondered the same thing about the doors. It sure looks like you can't open the back doors without at least cracking open the front doors. I'm sure this will be refined between prototype and production.

It is not easy to get a wind tight & rain tight sealing without a B pillar. The sealing is engaged with one door resting on the other. Check BMW i3 suicide doors in the rear.

I am not aware how this is solved in Model X. Can anyone report?

It is not easy to get a wind tight & rain tight sealing without a B pillar. The sealing is engaged with one door resting on the other. Check BMW i3 suicide doors in the rear.

The Model X solves this by having B-Pillars.
hWgZsRi.jpg

Anyway, no chance in hell we're ever going to see a production car with those doors. If they do make the leap from concept to production, you can bet they will replace the doors with something more practical and much sturdier.

It is simply solved by the fact that the Model X has a B pillar...

I am excited that Tesla has disrupted the industry and causing other auto manufacturers to produce ecstatically pleasing EVs. I think the vehicle looks very nice, and it will be possibly a near-peer of the Model X. Bravo VW.

Does it have a new chassis and flat battery? Or have they but an ICE in it? The fold down panels are nice! Not sure about the integration of the displays. Also, that car, even though smaller than the X would not fit in my garage

wonder about the strength of the vehicle without a B-pillar.

I think that is an even more important issue than the challenge of getting all those door seals to fit together correctly.

I think it will be difficult for that vehicle design to pass rollover, roof and side impact safety testing.

To get all those doors to work properly and be safe seems like a costly undertaking. I wish VW the best of luck but am not optimistic that their door design will be seen in a production car. I certainly do hope that VW comes out with a long range EV.

An interesting start. I wouldn't want to open those doors anywhere near a car next to me. Too much room needed.
Doesn't appear they have paid attention to this important detail like Tesla has.
Still it is good to see Tesla impacting other car maker designs.

concept car. I seriously doubt this is anywhere near prime time (see stats below), but it is a clear recognition of the power of tesla

from worldcarfans
"Motivation is provided by two electric motors that each produce 149 HP (110 kW). This gives the concept an all-wheel driveicon1.png system and a combined output of 220 kW (299 kW). Thanks to this setup, the 1,800 kg (3,968 lb) MPV can hit a top speed of 204 km/h (126 mph) and travel up to 540 km (335 miles) on a single charge.

Source: Italdesign Giugiaro"

Nice to see Giugiaro, an outstanding Italian design house, get interested in EVs.

Nonetheless, I agree with others that this looks like a very rushed out and immature design concept. For example, access to the third row seats looks VERY problematic!

not to mention the part about 335 mile range in a <4,000lb, 9 seater, AWD, BEV.

VW e-golf is something like 3,300lbs with 22kWH battery. This is much bigger and will need something like the 85kWH pack in terms of capacity.

VW is also claiming that it will make the R8 electric. Of course no stats on battery, weight, cost,...