Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagon - 300 mi in 15 min...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says here (and this seems a lot more likely/less of a fairytale) that this unicorn vehicle that can travel 300 miles (Euro-Cycle I'm sure, so let's say 250 miles) and recharge in 15 minutes while costing about the same as a gasoline powered Golf is slated for a 2025 release. In other words, Why are we even talking about it?

VW Plans To Take On Tesla Motors Inc With Affordable, Convenient EV - ValueWalk

"The on-sale target date for the e-Golf has been set at 2025."

I wonder how many model 3s will be sold by 2025? These ice manufactures are in for a very rude awakening

Looks like you beat me to it. Anyway, my thoughts exactly. And not just the Model 3, but the Bolt, the next i3 and the next Leaf should all be long-range vehicles and should all be on the roads for at LEAST 5 years before this car.

You forgot to mention the Tesla pickup truck & Model Y, plus cars from non-traditional makers such as FaradayFuture, Apple, Google, BYD... The list goes on and on.
Looks like you beat me to it. Anyway, my thoughts exactly. And not just the Model 3, but the Bolt, the next i3 and the next Leaf should all be long-range vehicles and should all be on the roads for at LEAST 5 years before this car.

"The on-sale target date for the e-Golf has been set at 2025."

I wonder how many model 3s will be sold by 2025? These ice manufactures are in for a very rude awakening

That is the only source claiming a 2025 release date for this car. Most others quote VW as aiming for 2018/2019 for production of this new long range EV.

VW to debut a new electric car with ~300 miles of range next month in Paris

The only 2025 number I have seen is VW claiming they will have 30 EVs out by then. Volkswagen Group New Group strategy adopted: Volkswagen Group to become a world-leading provider of sustainable mobility

30 new electric car models? This is good news. If not for dieselgate and Tesla's success, I don't believe that automakers would go the EV route this soon. The article also has a link to a rumor about a VW battery factory in the works.

Questions though... Will these cars be all electric? Any plans of building a charging network similar to Tesla's?
That is the only source claiming a 2025 release date for this car. Most others quote VW as aiming for 2018/2019 for production of this new long range EV.

VW to debut a new electric car with ~300 miles of range next month in Paris

30 new electric car models? This is good news. If not for dieselgate and Tesla's success, I don't believe that automakers would go the EV route this soon. The article also has a link to a rumor about a VW battery factory in the works.

Questions though... Will these cars be all electric? Any plans of building a charging network similar to Tesla's?

I think most of the 30 models will be plug-in hybrids.

As far as the charging network, that is a definite possibility. They have to invest in "clean car infrastructure" as part of the diesel settlement.
Electric car charging station companies issue warning over VW settlement

Ironically, Diesel-Gate might end up being the best thing that happened towards making EVs mainstream.

As far as the charging network, that is a definite possibility. They have to invest in "clean car infrastructure" as part of the diesel settlement.
Electric car charging station companies issue warning over VW settlement

But keep in mind that is only valid for the US. No such settlement over here in Europe or anywhere else in the world afaik.

Actually, over here the negative impact of Dieselgate on VW, its sales and perception as a company seems far smaller than in the US. Especially in Germany, where the most annoyance people feel towards VW currently is why they are treated as second class customers versus US customers, as apart from the software update and (if necessary) small hardware adjustment we don't get any compensation or other option like the return-and-refund thing that US customers seem to be able to do. All we get is "wait until we tell you to bring your car in for service, then all will be fine. What, you want something extra, like the Americans? Tough luck, no such deal here. Get over it!"
Well, at least I know than when I bring in our car for that service, I will drop a hint that my next car will be a Tesla ;)

Last edited:
No such settlement over here in Europe or anywhere else in the world afaik

That's how I read it too : no significant improvement to charging infrastructure outside of USA, and thus no significant market for BEVs that benefit from a charging infrastructure [outside of USA]

when I bring in our car for that service, I will drop a hint that my next car will be a Tesla

I will never buy another car from the VW stable. Already got the Tesla replacement ... failure [i.e. in EU] of VW to help me bail out of finance agreement and compensate me for depreciation loss by bailing early is not something I'm planning to forgive, hopefully other owners feel the same way. We also have a SEAT people carrier - still no word on when the modifications for that will be ready. let alone a recall ... sadly the MX isn't a suitable replacement (cargo capability), so I'm stuck with that until something suitable comes along, or I have to get MX + trailer and recharge 2x as often :(

It does not appear that any car maker other than Tesla has put any thought whatsoever into charging infrastructure. If VW plans on having dozens of electric car models out in a (relatively) few years time, they better get working on the long-distance charging facilities yesterday, or you are going to end up with a whole lot of people not able to drive more than 300 mi in a day. For VW to be planning on a 2018-19 car that can charge in 15 min, they better be ready to spend some serious cash right-the-heck-now. Having a 15 min charge at home is irrelevant, as you can charge any EV overnight without any special equipment, so the only place that such a quick charge makes sense is on the road.

According to the US govt figures I checked, there are about 14,000 EV charging locations in the US, but only 10% of those are faster than level 2. Tesla has more fast chargers than the other types combined. I know that where I live, the closest Chademo is 60mi away, and that's the only one I am aware of. Clearly, putting in 1 super-fast charger in a city would be less than worthless, as it would ultimately be a liability for people who might have no chance to use it because of waiting for other people to finish.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
VW plans on having dozens of electric car models out in a (relatively) few years time, they better get working on the long-distance charging facilities yesterday, or you are going to end up with a whole lot of people not able to drive more than 300 mi in a day.

I see this argument quite a bit (that the chargers need to there FIRST before the cars). But, that forgets Teslas own history. The Model S released and went on sale before the supercharger network existed. (And there was that car called the roadster). The supercharger network was built out (is still being built) concurrent to the car sales. It worked for Tesla. Those early model S buyers couldn't even drive their cars cross country without RV campgrounds, and yet people still bought the cars.

So VW could build out the infrastructure at the same time as releasing the cars for sale.

I see this argument quite a bit (that the chargers need to there FIRST before the cars). But, that forgets Teslas own history. The Model S released and went on sale before the supercharger network existed. (And there was that car called the roadster). The supercharger network was built out (is still being built) concurrent to the car sales. It worked for Tesla. Those early model S buyers couldn't even drive their cars cross country without RV campgrounds, and yet people still bought the cars.

So VW could build out the infrastructure at the same time as releasing the cars for sale.

Sure they could... but it would be at a significant competitive disadvantage compared to Tesla. I suspect they just feel that Tesla isn't really competition.

It does not appear that any car maker other than Tesla has put any thought whatsoever into charging infrastructure.

Agreed. An article in Jalopnik described incumbents' thinking and its consequences extremely well:

http://jalopnik.com/why-the-tesla-model-3-will-succeed-in-the-end-1768333100

"Tesla, bafflingly, seems to be the only company that understands this. When I’ve asked various Hyundai and GM representatives whether or not their cars will be capable of fast charging, I get an enthusiastic affirmative response. But when I ask whether or not those companies plan on either making their cars compatible with Tesla’s Supercharging network, or building their own fast-charging network to enable true freedom of movement, I get confused, befuddled looks.

"We’re car companies," they claim. "Not infrastructure companies." Which is a piss-poor, half-assed excuse. Because if you’re plunking down anywhere between $25,000 to $40,000 (depending on tax credits) for transportation, there’s no way in hell you’re then going to want to get on a Greyhound just to go to the next state.

And it’s those terrible excuses that doom them to failure."

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Doubling voltage from 400 V to 800 V does not increase charging speed with current batteries! Charging speed is limited by how fast electrical energy can be converted to chemical energy inside cells and how fast heat generated by this can be removed.

800 V charging cable could be thinner, but it needs thicker insulation. I believe 800 V is much more than twice as dangerous to us than 400 V.

If I remember correctly, Tesla is developing liquid cooled charging cable. It is much safer idea than going to 800 V.

Update on the VW EV. Will be powered by a 125 kWh battery with range up to 373 miles...

The article says there will be a 125 kW motor and doesn't mention the battery size. It could be that the author meant 125 kWh, but maybe not. Since it's VW, they're probably basing range on the ridiculous NEDC cycle, so more like 250 miles of range. This would mean a smaller battery than 125 kWh.