TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volt compatible with Supercharger?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Mr X, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

One poster had it right.... Bovine Feces!!

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#3 AnOutsider, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    BS indeed, but it's something I've been thinking about. Our home is almost done, and since the X was originally planned to launch this year, we've got 2 Tesla chargers installed. We're now considering a '14 Volt instead. I wish there were some sort of adapter so I don't have to put an ugly outlet in instead

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

That's quite different from a supercharger adapter. Converting an HPWC or a UMC to J1772 should be relatively straight-forward. (There's someone on this forum that's actually been doing UMC conversions. See: Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772) And an adapter would be relatively easy to make if you had access to a spare Tesla inlet.

5. Hengist

Hengist Member

much better to put in a J1772 direct wired station or a J1772 plugged into a NEMA 14-50. That way you have fall back. And don't have to upgrade to over a 400 amp service. (Each HWPC takes 100 amps of service, so you're at 200 amps just for the two chargers you plan). Using a 14-50 or a 14-30 drops the need by 50-70 amps. In most cases you'll never need 60 mph charging for two cars simultaneously.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Hmmmm, good find. Maybe I can 3D print an adapter using high heat rated resin heh.

They're already installed :redface: We actually had 600 AMP service to the home in anticipation of having 2 EVs (actually 800, but not tapping the rest)

7. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

AnOutsider, member "TonyWilliams" has converted many Model S UMCs and 1 or 2 HPWCs to J-1772
    He cuts off the Model S specific connector and installs a 70A or 75A J-1772
    You can find him on the other thread mentioned and ask him to convert one of your 2 HPWCs, I know he's somewhere in California, when your Model X eventually arrives, you can use the Tesla supplied J-1772 adapter with the J-1772 modified HPWC, and still charge at high power. All you will lose is the ability to "pop" the charging port open with the button on the handle.

BTW, Tony generally does these conversions for RAV4EV owners who'd like to charge at the full 9.6KW their Tesla supplied onboard charger can run at (Toyota only supplies a 120V 12A Panasonic EVSE)