TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volt false advertising?

Discussion in 'News' started by malcolm, Dec 23, 2007.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#1 malcolm, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Eh, it goes along with them insisting their car be called a REEV (Range extended electric vehicle) instead of a Series PHEV (Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle).
    I don't think that the site is owned by GM so it doesn't really constitute as false advertising if you really look into it. They will need some sensationalism to capture people's interest anyways.

3. DDB

DDB Member

Tough crowd. First, the GM-volt.com site is run by a guy that is an entusiast for GM, just like dsacks is for this one. Second, the range extender is unique, which I give GM credit for. I think there is a lot of sincere interest out there for the product, if it happens. I'm excited about it.

4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

While I applaud GM's efforts, how is an ICE powered generator, ("range extender"), unique? You can call it a REEV but it is still a hybrid. People have put generators in their EV's before, or in trailers behind their EV's.

5. DDB

DDB Member

I sure can't go to my local dealer and buy one.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#6 TEG, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  7. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

You can't go to your local dealer and buy a Volt either. Plus what TEG said :biggrin:

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

And you can buy a Volt?

...You can buy a Renault Kangoo (Cleanova) in Europe...

9. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I suppose I could give GM credit for developing a PHEV after many people asked them to (Richard Woolsey, Set America Free, CalCars, Plug-In America, Plug-in Partners). GM answered that call when Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, VW and other car makers did not. (Toyota actually announced they were going to make a PHEV before GM did, but they still seem half-hearted about it.)

But a bright new idea that nobody else had thought of? Not as such.

10. Kardax

Kardax Member

The Volt, as it has been described, may not be particularly innovative, but they're the first company to make a lot of noise about the technology, so they get to steal all the credit.

-Ryan

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, like they got all the credit for reviving the EV with the EV1...

12. DDB

DDB Member

A viable, affordable, range extender that is practical. I still think it's unique and GM deserves a little credit. We're dealing with opinions at this point and I suppose we can go talk to the patent lawyers and get technical, but like I said, you can't buy one that is proposed by GM at the $30,000 price.

13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Some are good. The EV-1 folks had a similar campaigns going with license plates and catch phrases.

Almost all could be applied to Tesla as well.