TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volt Onwers please.. Bose Audio vs Sound Studio Package

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Galve2000, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

#1 Galve2000, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Can any Volt owners with Bose Audio comment on how it compares to the Sound Studio package in the Model S?

I was saddened that in this review from a few weeks ago http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084138_tesla-model-s-vs-chevy-volt-owner-compares-electric-cars the reviewer does not compare the two audio options side by side.

I do consider myself a bit of an audiophile althoUgh I try not to be a snob about it, and I am nursing an addiction to XM satalite radio so the sound studio package is a must for me, but i wonder how the Volt's "premium" audio (which i have and sounds pretty good to my ears) compares to the Model S "premium" sound package.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

IMHO.. Nearly all production audio speakers, premium or not, are crap. Chevy Bose....still cheap garbage construction. As for the S, not much better, if at all.

Note ... I've only seen the hatch speakers, but I'm sure the rest are the same components.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Our company Volt does not have the Bose system, but my previous Cadillac CTS did. In my humble opinion, the Bose system sounded a bit better than the Sound Studio package I have in my S. FWIW, I think that XM sounds like crap in both. I had XM in the CTS and flipped the subscription over to my Model S, but won't renew it.

4. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

You call yourself and audiophile, but admit to listening to XM radio??? :scared: :crying:

The Bose system in the Volt is better than anything else I've had before in a car.
    The sound studio package in the P85 I rented a while ago sounded too soft in the lower frequencies at low volume. But turn it up to 8 or above, and it sounds pretty decent.

5. ZestyChicken

ZestyChicken Member

Yeah but that shouldn't be. 8 is borderline deafening.

6. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Probably because your ears are struggling just to differentiate sounds at that volume, never mind whether they're accurate or not. :scared:

7. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

My Volt has the Bose package in it. I have listened to the sound studio package on a Model S on 2 different occations. Overall, the Bose is a good system, but not an outstanding system. Like all Bose products, the highs are a little overstated (intentional on Bose's part. As you age, the your hearing changes, and your ability to hear highs diminishes. Bose figured out that most people who can afford their products are over 30, so they intentionally overstate the highs to make it sound better to that demographic). Mid range sounds on the Bose are crystal clear. The Bass is not terrific on the Volt sound system, it really could use a little more "umph", but I suspect that is intentional in an effort to make the system use less power (the Volt's Bose system is marketed as a low power draw system for electric vehicles). Overall, I would say that the Bose in the Volt is pretty comparable to the Sound studio package in the Model S, with the Bose sounding a little better at lower volumes, and the Model S system delivering better sound at higher volumes due to its larger power output. On a only slightly related note, the Model S has a much better interface for interacting with your music, but the Volt has an actual CD player (also plays DVD's on the 2011 and 2012 models) Hope this helps.

8. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

It depends on your source material. If you are listening to XM radio, or some over compressed FM radio station/internet feed, I would totally agree with you. I don't listen to that.

Yes, thank you.

9. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

How many watts is the Volt's 7 speaker bose system?

10. mbaier

mbaier Member

I drove a volt with the böse system for 3 years and I can say that the standard sound system on the model S does not match the quality of the bose in the volt - I unfortunately do not have the premium sound option installed

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My previous Cadillac had the Bose system and I find the Tesla Premium Sound system to be comparable. Doesn't seem any worse or any better than the Bose to my ear.

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

This is funny.

Bose offers mid-range sound for a high-priced system (their advertising gives the appearance that they're the next best thing since sliced bread).

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Keep in mind it was implemented with constraints. If resources (kW) are unlimited you do anything great. Trade-offs. People often compare against the high end system in ICE cars. Good engineering is finding a balance that satisifies.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/V75857t.png
    V75857t.png

14. HustleSimmons

HustleSimmons Member

I like the Tesla Sound Studio vs the Volt Boise at louder levels.

15. nh-srt8

nh-srt8 Member

I had both options on my Volt's when I had homes in both Texas and AZ. My Texas Volt had the Bose and my AZ Volt did not. I did love the Bose option. Having tried both options on the S I didn't go with the premium audio. I was leaning for the premium for Sirius but I really only listened to three channels. I could get BBC and ESPN through Tune-In. I miss First Wave (since I'm still stuck in the 80's) but only for the DJ's since I found equivalent selection of Tune-In also. The audio difference didn't seem to warrant the option IMHO and deaf ears spending too much time at concerts.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I had the Bose system in my now departed Volt and like all Bose products it was just ok. IMHO the Bose brand is greatly overrated. The Reus system on my Model S is vastly superior.

17. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

The Bose on my volt was ok, you couldn't get any bass and it was underpowered. Sound studio is 10x better. Ok maybe 5x [emoji3]

18. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#18 scottf200, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    But isn't that a silly comparison because the Reus system was not trying to meet the stated below design goals?

19. pox

pox Member

I own both a 2012 Volt and Tesla both with the premium sound packages. The Tesla sounds much better, and from when i test drove the non upgraded Tesla, it's sound wasn't as good as the Bose in my Volt. Not sure how but the XM sounds way better in the Tesla then the Volt for some reason.

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

We have been very pleased with the Volt Bose system. It is a good step up from any car we had. The Tesla is good as well but pricier.