TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volt -vs- Plug-in Prius

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by benji4, Mar 9, 2011.

1. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

The upcoming plug-in Prius I think only gets 8 miles in electric-only mode, but it's a stellar hybrid to start out with, is more practical than the Volt, and of course costs way less. If the Volt could travel 50-60 miles per gallon in hybrid mode like it was supposed to maybe the smaller battery pack would be an interesting option. Unfortunately as it is, it's not really a great electric car nor a very good hybrid. It's kind of caught in no man's land between the two.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

What's the point? You'd save a fifth of a gallon by plugging it in.

3. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

Unless you are doing a lot of 8 mile or less driving you could argue that it's not much point, but... what it will do I believe is make the Prius an even better hybrid than it already is (assuming the extra weight from a bigger battery pack doesn't take more of that away than it gives). Overall energy efficiency should be the goal whether you are talking about EVs, hybrids, or ICE powered cars. The larger battery hopefully will increase mileage in hybrid mode as well since there will be more capacity to store power from regen. Toyota is trying to hit right in the sweet spot, and their testing and analysis tells them I guess that the 8 mile pack makes them more efficient. The Prius has succeeded at being a great hybrid no matter how you look at it, and I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly!) that plug-in capability + better batteries and a bigger pack will make it even better. You have to give Akio-san credit where credit is due.

4. Alan

Alan Member

5. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

I don't think that one has a plug

6. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

7. zack

zack Member

I'm baffled by the comment saying that up to 13 miles of range, the gas use for both cars is 0mpg. Seriously, this reporter needs a quick math lesson. Between 0 and 13 miles of use both cars are all-electric so they're getting infinite mpg, or zero gallons per mile since the gas engines are off.

8. zack

zack Member

One other comment. I guess the writer in question is also unaware of the average number of miles driven per day per driver in America. The Volt wins in that respect, which is really the one that counts. Not that it can hold a candle to the Model S. 8^)

9. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Yeah, the more subtle math mistake the author makes is that "after 35 files the Prius wins handily." At 36 miles, for instance, the Prius has run 23 miles on gas, consuming about 0.45 gallons, while the Volt has run only 1 mile, consuming about 0.03 (1/35) gallons. It takes about 90 miles before the gas consumption of the two vehicles is the same - under that and the Volt wins.

10. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I would wager that the Prius will end up costing significantly less.

11. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

MUCH less! Let's see, a brand new car from GM with a crappy track record of EVs or for $20k less money, a plug-in Prius in something like the 4th generation of Priuses. Yep, tough choice. Although, the plug-in Prius is going to have a battery so small that many owners may not bother plugging it in much of the time.

Here's a puffy article on the Volt from a guy more concerned about being funny than being real. From MediaPost.com: Chevy Volt Passes "Karl, The Driver" Test by Karl Greenberg.

Ha ha.

No mention of price.

I think, if your daily mileage is around 30 miles, and you need to drive a hundred or more miles at least once a month or so, then the Volt *might* be a better value than a Prius.

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

[place holder post]

13. howabout2

howabout2 Member

I say Volt. The Prius bores me by being the most commonplace car on Los Angeles streets. It's the modern day beige Camry. "Plug-in" isn't enough to awaken me from my Prius-fatigue.

Give me something new, some variation. Volt, please.

14. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Although I'd like to say Opel Ampera (The Chevvy Volt for the EU), I'm going to say Prius. Why? From what I've seen now the Volt/Ampera isn't that efficient at all when it runs on the range extender.

Toyota seems to have done that much better, as they've proven with their HSD. I think the Prius will perform much better in terms of fuel economy.

15. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

I'd have seriously considered an Ampera, until I found out that it was a four-seater. I don't know of another comparable sized car in the UK that has only 4 seats.

16. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I don't like the teeny, tiny battery pack on the Plug-in Prius. Unless your daily driving routine is very short, it's fairly useless. I love the mileage the Prius gets and I like that is a technology that is "burned-in" and proven.

With the Volt, the problem is the brand new tech and its sheer complexity which results in a high price tag for the car. I don't think they've said what the price of the Plug-in Prius is going to be. I think it's going to be about $5k higher than a normal Prius.

My wife will be needing a car in a year or two and I'm leaning toward the Prius. It'll be interesting to see what Prius announces for 2013.

17. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I test drove the Plug in Prius today. I will be trying to get a drive of the Ampera ASAP.

The ICE on the Prius kicked in all too readily under modest acceleration. There is no means to stop it like the EV mode on the normal Gen 3.

Managed to get an approximate price from the guy and it's the same as the Ampera. It will be launched here at the same time as the Ampera. It's no contest.

I looked in a Volt too. It's build quality is worse than the pre-production Ampera's.

18. GSP

GSP Member

I definitely say VOLT.

I have been driving one for 4 months so far.

If I had a plug-in Prius, the engine would start on every drive. With the Volt, it only runs about once per month, when I exceed the EV range. So the lower mpg in this rare event has very little impact on the amount of fuel I have to buy.

I love driving in pure EV mode, and I couldn't do that in a plug-in Prius. I was getting 22-35 mi EV range in below freezing temperatures. Now I am getting 35-50 mi EV range. The other day I drove over 55 mi, and still had 2 mi of EV range left when I arrived home for the night.

The back seat is not roomy, but it is very comfortable. I am reminded that 4 passenger seating with rear bucket seats, standard on the Volt, is optional on Bentleys.

GSP

19. richkae

richkae VIN587

This is academic because I wont buy a car that burns gasoline ever again.
    My commute is 14 miles each way.
    If I were to buy a Volt, I could roundtrip and charge at home. Cost per kWh at home is 8.5 cents.
    If I were to buy a Prius I could do almost the entire trip without gas and I can plug in at work and charge it up for the drive home.
    My cost to plug it in is now a major factor. If I am charged significantly more than 8.5 cents per kWh for the 5ish kWh I would need, that would piss me off and I would rather have the Volt.
    If that charge costs more than about $1.25 I am actually better off burning gas.
    If its free or less than 40 cents, the Prius is the winner.

Currently the chargepoint chargers in my building are free. If it stays that way, the Prius is the winner.
    The chargepoint chargers in a building nearby are $1 dollar minimum. That sucks for the Prius.
    Of course a 120volt outlet could recharge the Prius in about 3 hours, maybe 4 if its only 15 amps.

20. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Richkae, if any of your 14 miles is 60 mph highway and you have a normal right foot, you will burn gas.

There is no big torque or EV grin with the PiP.