Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volt -vs- Plug-in Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice...all the public charging stations that we take for granted now will be clogged with prius drivers, plugged in for hours, topping off their "8 mile" batteries.

Nice...all the public charging stations that we take for granted now will be clogged with prius drivers, plugged in for hours, topping off their "8 mile" batteries.

The answer to this is a Bill Gates style vision:

A charging post at every parking spot and every home

And why not - PCs also started over $2000 as well and now they almost come free with operating system purchase.

Prius will be plugged in for 1.5 hours. A Roadster would be there 8.

A lot of the public stations (that I have seen) usually have people who are plugged in regardless if they need a charge or not. For example Prius owner plugs into the EV charging station at their workplace and are plugged in for 8 hours, where as a someone who really need the charge (i.e. pure ev vehicle) cannot charge for the duration that plug in hybrid is plugged into the station (regardless if they are charging or not). There will also be far more Plug in hybrids sold than Pure EV's, so this will take a huge chunk of current public charging stations that we use out of commission, since they will be monopolized by the plug in hybirds.

Here's the EPA window sticker for the production PiP

c6e4dd63-44dc-89fa.jpg

All electric range = 6 miles.

That is just a result of the acceleration need of the cycle. If that acceleration was called on in the beginning, AER would be a few feet.

Some people argue the PiP has zero AER for the same reason. I think the 8-9 mile number is a bit closer (given the battery has about 2.5kWh usable, 29kWh/100 miles gives 8.62 miles). You just have to keep acceleration under 3/4 throttle to keep it in EV mode.

A lot of the public stations (that I have seen) usually have people who are plugged in regardless if they need a charge or not. For example Prius owner plugs into the EV charging station at their workplace and are plugged in for 8 hours, where as a someone who really need the charge (i.e. pure ev vehicle) cannot charge for the duration that plug in hybrid is plugged into the station (regardless if they are charging or not). There will also be far more Plug in hybrids sold than Pure EV's, so this will take a huge chunk of current public charging stations that we use out of commission, since they will be monopolized by the plug in hybirds.

That's where plug sharing comes in. Which makes it all the more maddening when GM helped pass a bill that essentially banned it in California. I'll call it karma when a Volt gets denied a charge from a PiP being plugged in. They may end up hurting Volt owners if the PiP outnumbers it in California.

WTF- 6 miles!! c'mon

Anyone who buys one of these for over 32 K is a fool.

Let's see, spend 23 K on a normal Prius and get a Hymotion (A123 system) or a "clone" for 10 K installed and have about 20-40 mile AER

6 miles AER = 32 K
20- 40 miles AER= 33 K

WTF- 6 miles!! c'mon

Anyone who buys one of these for over 32 K is a fool.

Let's see, spend 23 K on a normal Prius and get a Hymotion (A123 system) or a "clone" for 10 K installed and have about 20-40 mile AER

6 miles AER = 32 K
20- 40 miles AER= 33 K

yea but in california these will get the carpool stickers ......can't do that in a normal prius....

Pretty disappointed with that range. Obviously it was done to keep cost down but still. If that Green Car Reports post is accurate, it saves less than a dollar over the regular Prius over 100 miles.

If there was a way to accurately do it (people would cheat), I think HOV access should be granted based on how far you live from work. If the point is to encourage cleaner driving, someone buying a car that is EV only for 10 miles who lives 40 miles from work isn't helping much.

I think there is still a place for the PiP. There are plenty of people that average under 10 miles daily (I think about 30% in the US). It just costs too much for what you get.

The normal Prius starts at $24k and gives you a 1.3kWh battery. PiP starts at $32k and gives you 4.4kWh. You get 3.1kWh extra (plus the charging system) for $8k, working out to $2580 per kWh. Even for a PHEV optimized pack, that's pretty expensive.

Some people argue the PiP has zero AER for the same reason. I think the 8-9 mile number is a bit closer (given the battery has about 2.5kWh usable, 29kWh/100 miles gives 8.62 miles).
The 29 kWh / 100 miles estimate is based on wall socket consumption, not usable capacity. The PiP takes about 3.0-3.2 kWh to charge so that gives 10-11 miles. The EPA range estimate is 11 miles but that includes 0.022 gallons of gasoline because the gas engine started up during the test cycle to assist for power and/or vehicle speed reasons. The EPA estimates are a bit conservative so it will be easy to get 13-15 miles with careful driving.