Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volume changing on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everyone,

Just picked up Model 3 yesterday. Today, on my commute, the music volume would go all the way up or down, on its own. I tried to reset, mess around with the left scroll wheel, adjust steering column, etc. No luck. Tech support says that an upcoming firmware update should fix it. Anyone else experience this issue?

Update:

Hi all,

Turns out that the issue was actually a simple oversight! The clear film over the screen was not removed at delivery, and that seems to have been the cause of the screen inputs and random sound volume changes!

Don’t forget to peel the film off the screen at delivery!

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Didn't I read somewhere that they were putting a screen protector on the M3 now? I think it's supposed to be there...

Edit: I looked, and whet I saw was contained in an Elon Tweet after the M3 crash where the glovebox auto-open was discussed. Repeat, it was an Elon Tweet, not reality.;)

Last edited:
Didn't I read somewhere that they were putting a screen protector on the M3 now? I think it's supposed to be there...

Edit: I looked, and whet I saw was contained in an Elon Tweet after the M3 crash where the glovebox auto-open was discussed. Repeat, it was an Elon Tweet, not reality.;)
Two different things. One is the film you peel off many products with a screen, that protects it temporarily until the product is in your hands and is meant to be removed before use. What Elon mentioned was something to prevent shattering and that doesn’t exist yet.

Another OP Update:

Hi, y'all,

I apologize, but I think I spoke too soon - I am still having issues with phantom inputs and volume changing on its own, despite removing the clear film from the screen!

I spoke with Tesla Tech Support again, and they told me to expect at firmware update soon to address this known issue. They told me that if the issue persists despite the firmware update, then the next step would be to replace the MCU/computer screen!

Until the firmware update, I won't be able to listen to music or use the navi, without issues!

Another OP Update:

Hi, y'all,

I apologize, but I think I spoke too soon - I am still having issues with phantom inputs and volume changing on its own, despite removing the clear film from the screen!

I spoke with Tesla Tech Support again, and they told me to expect at firmware update soon to address this known issue. They told me that if the issue persists despite the firmware update, then the next step would be to replace the MCU/computer screen!

Until the firmware update, I won't be able to listen to music or use the navi, without issues!
So it will be fixed! Either by firmware update or replacing the MCU! Great news!
(Do you get the idea that I don’t think this warrants three exclamation points, especiallly from a long time Tesla owner?)