Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volunteers needed for northeast PA school demonstrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Half Dollar Bill

Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant, innkeeper
Oct 19, 2013
Freeport Maine
I’ve been doing Tesla and electric car presentations at the elementary and high school I graduated from in northeast PA for the last two years. The schools have graciously asked for a return trip this year and I’m posting this message to solicit volunteers from the owner community.

Grades 1-5: Friday April 7
Grades 6-8: Friday April 21 (aligns with the school’s celebration of Earth Day)
High School: Friday May 5 (aligns with alumni reunion weekend)

The presence on campus is basically an all-day event, say from 8AM to 3PM. Each class cycles through a 15-20 minute sit-down presentation and Q&A session then transitions out to the cars for the remainder of the period, about another 20 minutes. The car interaction is hands-on, with each owner defining the limits of what they allow. I take my UMC and plug it in, which disables the ability to shift the car into gear, so I give them free reign on the inside.

During the sit-down part, I have a Powerpoint I go through and though not required, other owners are welcome to share their input and experiences as well. If you’re afraid of presentations, don’t worry as I’d have it covered and you’d basically just need to babysit your car to answer questions during the outside portion. However, if you want to participate during the inside sessions, I’d more than welcome it.

I’m not asking or expecting participation from a single individual for all three dates, though that would be great. I also don’t need the full day commitment though again it would be great. Your cars can be pre or post AP hardware, Model S, Model X or Roadster, or even any other electric vehicle you’d have handy. My car is an S85; I’d like to have at least one vehicle with sensors in order to do a summon demo. It would be nice to have an X owner. There is no limit to the number of participants; in prior years I’ve had myself and two other owners though the more the merrier.

We’d be about 20 miles away from the Moosic PA supercharger and there is a 110 plug near the demo site so trickle charging is available if needed. With the Moosic supercharger and the nearby Allentown, Harrisburg, Bloomsburg and Binghamton superchargers, travel to the school site is not restrictive as it once was. If you live in PA or even NJ, NY, CT, DE, MD or VA, you are my prime audience.

Please get in touch with me using the email address below and I’d be happy to provide more info and discuss any issues or concerns you may have. From personal experience, the sessions are very rewarding. The students ask intelligent questions and you have a busy day of interactions. The local media generally covers the event. Tesla’s been kind in the past to provide goodies for the students though I haven’t hit them up this year yet. Between all three days, it’ll be over 400 students that cycle through the presentations with the potential for a few hundred more to drop by during study periods at the high school.

I thank you kindly in advance.
Bill
[email protected]

Reactions: mrElbe and AnonNJ
I am extremely intrigued by your post !! This sounds like a great event that you put on. Not sure but I think I have corresponded with you in the past about road trips. You have a lot of knowledge in this area and I would love to chat with you one of these days. Looks like your from Virginia so it is a major deal for you to drive up to this. I can't promise anything....I have a 70D with autopilot, sensors, ect. I know someone who has a P90D Model X and is a very invested person in all things Tesla and renewable energy...I am a teacher and live in central Mass. Being a Friday makes it harder...we would have to drive down Thursday night before. I will talk with him and see what he thinks. Would take about 4 plus hours to get there from here. Any opportunities for arrangements on the sleep over Thursday night situation??

I am extremely intrigued by your post !! This sounds like a great event that you put on. Not sure but I think I have corresponded with you in the past about road trips. You have a lot of knowledge in this area and I would love to chat with you one of these days. Looks like your from Virginia so it is a major deal for you to drive up to this. I can't promise anything....I have a 70D with autopilot, sensors, ect. I know someone who has a P90D Model X and is a very invested person in all things Tesla and renewable energy...I am a teacher and live in central Mass. Being a Friday makes it harder...we would have to drive down Thursday night before. I will talk with him and see what he thinks. Would take about 4 plus hours to get there from here. Any opportunities for arrangements on the sleep over Thursday night situation??

J
You saw my PM, right? Just checking in.

Wanted to post a quick summary - first presentation to grades 1-5 is complete. The weather was the biggest issue as the day saw a mix of showers, sleet and snow flurries. While the barometer fluctuated, the camaraderie among the owners was exceptional. For this first day, I was lucky enough to get five volunteers to assist. There were more that contacted me and either committed to other days or had to back out for scheduling conflicts. Kudos to @DavidB, @madodel, @mrElbe, @Saghost and @Steve.Roach for making the trip and spending the day. I applaud all the volunteers but have to hand it to @mrElbe for coming from Toronto.

We had 2 X’s and 4 S’s. The X’s were the stars by far. @Saghost set the stage by discovering that the Xmas Easter Egg was still active, so we had a volunteer from each class activate the fobs for the demo. The classes were absolutely giddy! @mrElbe then did summon demos in his S for the remainder of the period with volunteers in the passenger and back seats and the line lasted until the end of each period. While that was going on, the students had the opportunity to look at and get in the other vehicles. I lamented with @Steve.Roach that EVERYONE wanted to spend time in the X’s and no one was looking at the S’s. Then fortunes turned and one of the grades had a “see how many students you can get in the car” contest in my S. One of the teachers got a picture but there were at least a dozen.

At the end of the day, one of the teachers gave us drawings that their class made. I’m getting those scanned and will post them. I’m sure I’ll also get some “do not photograph” appropriate shots from the school’s PR coordinator, who was there for the first part of the day.

The school was a gracious host providing coffee, donuts and pizza. We even had a reserved lounge. We probably set an informal record for the Wilkes-Barre vicinity by having the most electric vehicles gathered in the city. Thanks to the five owners above for helping out and making it a truly special day! More posts on subsequent events to come!
IMG_4694.jpg
IMG_1429.jpg
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1435.jpg

Round 2 of presentations with the students, this time with grades 6-8. The weather was better in that temperatures got into the 60s during the day, but we still started off with a couple clouds and some showers that mercifully cleared up early. My thanks this time to @DavidB, @madodel and @Jashev for volunteering their time to help.

Since these students were older and the school was celebrating Earth Day, I started the conversations by asking what the perceived weaknesses of electric vehicles were when compared with gasoline powered vehicles. I was looking for answers like: they’re more expensive, they’re slower they’re less convenient because you have to charge or because you can’t go very far. I got those. I also got the following unexpected responses:

- The motors are simpler and therefore easier to fix, so they’re not as challenging for mechanics.
- The cars aren’t as noisy so more pedestrians will get hit by them.
- The cars are new and don’t have a long track record of reliability.
- Gasoline engines are proven and will never be replaced.
and my favorite
- They won’t fit in our garage. When I pressed the student about having a small garage she indicated that they already had two cars and a third wouldn’t fit.

It was another great day and I’m looking forward to closing the series out at the high school in two weeks.

Reactions: Jashev and Saghost
My apologies for the lateness of this last update post; I was waiting on some info from the school and with the end of the school year rapidly approaching they had other distractions. To that end, below are links to some Thank You cards the students from the first presentation made for us.

Big Thank Yous.pdf
Small Thank Yous.pdf

In keeping with the tradition from the earlier presentations, the final one at the high school was a gloomy day with off and on rain. I was sorry for one class in particular as it started to downpour the moment we finished up the inside presentation and opened the auditorium doors to go outside to look at the cars. The students didn’t seem to mind and the ones that were interested used the opportunity to duck inside the cars and explore the touchscreen.

My thanks to @DavidB, @madodel, @mrElbe and @PhillyGal for volunteering their time and vehicles again. I’m sure each of the other owners had their favorite interactions. Mine came from a student in one of the upper grades, so a part of the presentations two years ago, I believe. She told me she keeps coming back to the car days because she loves the vehicles and hopes to own one someday. We talked for a while longer and I gave her one of the few remaining Tesla-supplied Hot Wheels I had left. From her reaction, it looked like she was going to treasure it.

I’ve had a few owners contact me about getting copies of the presentation and I’m more than happy to help others with their efforts. My fingers are crossed for getting invited back next year.

• Love
Reactions: madodel