TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

volvo making a bid

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by kort677, Oct 31, 2015.

1. kort677

kort677 Active Member

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    It wants me to login as a WSJ subscriber if I follow that link.
    But if I go to WSJ home page, and navigate around, I was able to get to it that way.

Maybe this link bouncing through Google will work for a while ? :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QqQIwAGoVChMIn4zk07btyAIVBPpjCh1xaAwu&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wsj.com%2Farticles%2Fvolvos-big-bet-on-the-electric-vehicle-market-1446132165&usg=AFQjCNFv9d_6NgtCGE3xs2NH6dV4XdkCLw&sig2=N9dc-X0sjdr1G-Xp584UgQ

3. tftf

tftf Member

Reiterates the point I just made in the Honda FCEV thread.

Almost all major car makers will offer EVs in all price ranges from 2017-2020:

Quoted from the WSJ article.

4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

... and why is that a death knell for Tesla?

Careful TFTF,you are not in Seeking Alpha and so you can't BS your way here in this forum.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

death knell? I don't think so.
    the more manufacturers who bring EVs to market the faster the EVs become mainstream.
    competition spurs innovations and lower prices, BRING IT ON!

6. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

/rant on

If I had a penny (US$ or Cdn$) for every time I heard someone say "I am going to build <something>, to be competitive in 2-4 years" and they were NOT actually able to do it or chose not to do it, I'd have enough for a couple of Model S's and an X.

Press releases are childishly simple. Concept cars are more difficult, but of course long term there's no commitment to put any of the whiz-bang stuff in actual production releases, at an affordable price (no comment about things like "rear folding seats" LOL).

What's been quite educational, and frustrating, for me once I saw just how much Tesla has achieved with the Roadster and the Model S, is, many many FUDsters yap on about Tesla not having the experience or depth to follow through, or Tesla not being green because electricity comes from coal, or Tesla is a one-trick pony, or Tesla is always late and therefore the whole company is evil, etc. Then in the next paragraph they're saying how Audi is going to have the BEST EV in 3 years. Porsche will wipe the floor with Tesla! The Bolt will be out earlier than the Model 3 and that will hamstring the Model 3. Yada yada yada.

At this point, when I see arguments about what everybody else will be delivering in the future, I simply suspend belief. Before I take *ANY* of those arguments seriously, "almost all major car makers" that will be offering "EVs in all price ranges" will actually have to *DELIVER*, and thus *PROVE* their purchase price, EPA range (forget the European cr*p testing), *BATTERY CHARGING TIME AND INFRASTRUCTURE*, and overall drivability.
    /rant off

7. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Volvo says it plans to have 10% of its production electrified "soon."

They currently make 350k vehicles per year and like every automaker has rosy sales projections for the future.

So their commitment really means is 35k-70k PHEVs BEVs per year for the foreseeable future. Best case.

8. tftf

tftf Member

#8 tftf, Oct 31, 2015
    Where did I mention death knell?

I pointed out that more and more car brands will offer (longer-range) BEVs between 2017-2021 and included a quote from the WSJ article about Volvo's BEV.

However, it's business school 101 that more competition in a sector most often leads to lower prices and lower margins (even if TAM revenues soar at the same time).

Tesla also has a lot of R&D ahead of itself to bring the Model3 and other future models to market (see Volvo's investment numbers since 2011 in the article).

- - - Updated - - -

No, they want to sell double that number. It's all in the article:

If you don't believe in their predictions, that's fine. But then people shouldn't dismiss Volvo's numbers and at the same time quote Tesla's predictions for "500k cars by 2020" without questioning them.

9. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I am giving Volvo the benefit of the doubt and saying they might sell 700k units. Double. They are not growing volume like Tesla at 59% per year. I have predicted elsewhere 400k plus for Tesla in 2020.

10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#10 stopcrazypp, Oct 31, 2015
    They can dismiss the Volvo number given they have no track record at all (I still remember the false start with the c30 EV) and expect Tesla will deliver a substantial portion of their projection even if not all.

11. tftf

tftf Member

Volvo has quite a clear plan to reach this target with nine cars, especially the upcoming 40-series will help volume:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/revealed-volvos-2019-masterplan

12. RobStark

RobStark Active Member