Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo Pilot Assist 2 vs Tesla Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anywhere one can find the current specific features of Tesla Autopilot that will be operating from day-one when we take delivery of our Model 3?

When trying to compare the Autopilot systems it has become increasing difficult.
It's mostly a difference of autonomous design philosophy for Tesla and Volvo. Tesla believes drivers can be trusted to make the appropriate decision with regards to their vehicle while Volvo wants to keep the driver from even putting himself into the position of getting into trouble with its autonomous tech.

Does the current version of Tesla Autopilot have a full production version of AutoSteer?

Volvo Pilot Assist 2 In Bad Weather @ 1:15

Tesla Autopilot - AutoSteer

UPDATE: Found this thread on the Tesla site...
No explanation given on why the owner had to go back to service to get it enabled with a subset of the features.

Autopilot on my M3 is activated as off yesterday but i had to bring mine to the service center to get it done. Here are features so far:
- Dynamic Cruise control
- auto steering
- auto lane changing
- lane departure warning

these are not yet activated:
- have parallel auto park assist?
- have perpendicular park assist?
- have summon?

Interesting comparison: Where Are Autonomous Cars Right Now? Four Systems Tested | Feature | Car and Driver

Looks like the 2019 Audi A8 is coming with LIDAR..yeah..its in the Mod S class...but tech will prob trickle down to other model:
2019 Audi A8 Level 3 autonomy first-drive: Chasing the perfect ‘jam’
Audi's flagship A8 has an overwhelming amount of tech

audi_a8_level3_01.jpg

i've driven a rental XC90 a couple of months ago. AP implementation is on par but Autosteer definitely felt superior on the Volvo. It barely disengaged during long stretches and the overall stability had me in awe.

Volvo's interior was also superior to my lowly S 75.

Those two reasons were not enough to nudge me to buy another ICE. Never again?