TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volvo unveils adorable 9" touchscreen for 2015 XC90

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by jvonbokel, May 28, 2014.

1. KANDK

KANDK New Member

Interesting video, flush door handles and a very Tesla-esk touch screen interface.

2. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Good eye! We'll have to keep on the lookout for more exterior photos to see how those look/work.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Charming baby-sized touch screen. And the driver side display is all digital as well. But curiously there is a gas gauge shown. So not really interested...

4. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I'm looking for Volvo to be one of those automakers that might be able to "adapt technically in the mid- and long term" as S&P put it.

5. MacroP

MacroP Member

Just curious of other's thoughts - do find that with more and more cars coming with an entire LCD instrument cluster these days (like this Volvo) that the use the simulated mechanical dial speedo and tacho a bit silly. A lot of real-estate wasted in my opinion - so much more info can be displayed - music, nav, climate etc etc. Are people not ready for thing change?.

My 6 year old car has the old school mechanical tacho and speedo but with a small LCD in between. I have this LCD set to speed, trip computer readings and music. Seems to cover most things is its small area. Personally I would rather see everything directly in front of me on the cluster and have a steering wheel full of controls.

6. perdru

perdru Member

I find Audi´s solution making more sense :
    New Audi TT's Gauge Cluster Will Spread to Three Other Models by 2015 – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

7. MacroP

MacroP Member

8. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

This is how I envision most cars being in the near future, with a healthy number of customization options. I'm sure Tesla will add some more skins/layouts at some point as well, but they have a lot on their plate still.