TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Volvo using a supercharger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by sarahstaar, Apr 9, 2017.

1. sarahstaar

sarahstaar Member

I purchased a brand-new Tesla model S just over a week ago and on Thursday I set out on my first 1000 mile road trip.

I stopped at my first ever supercharger, and noticed that there was a Volvo charging???

Was just wondering are other cars allowed to use the Tesla superchargers??

It was most inconvenient because the Volvo has the charging port in the wrong place, so this Volvo was parked in the wrong spot...

2. sarahstaar

sarahstaar Member

3. sarahstaar

sarahstaar Member

This was at the winchester supercharger UK

4. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

First I have ever seen or heard of any other car being able to use a Tesla charger. That would be a very big deal if true, since it is a massive advantage for Tesla, seems like they would charge a lot if Volvo wanted access.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 17.32.6ca28227

We've seen this several times before. Currently, it's not possible.

Volvo V60 charging at a Supercharger - comments?

Per @Hookmaker
    "Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the late reply.
    We have had a couple of cases like this before. It is definitely not possible to charge with a Volvo PHEV on our Supercharger stations, nor with any other EV at the moment. Our equipment register what kind of vehicle that connects and there will be no charging, if it’s not a Tesla. Furthermore the car in question has no DC charging possibility to my knowing. So it would be fair to say that it’s most likely scenario # 1, as you mention.

Thanks again for getting in contact. We appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology and wish you some great trips with your Model S.

Best regards,"
    Tesla Supercharger team EU

6. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Ha ha that Volvo driver is just messing with us

7. tpham07

tpham07 Member

the EU spec superchargers use the same universal Type 2 connector other EVs use so they can plug in, but the supercharger is smart enough to figure out its not a tesla and not spit out any juice (not that the volvo has dc fast charging abilities). Pretty much what the tesla people said.

In all honesty they probably just wanted the parking spot lol

• Like x 1