Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo XC40 EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else excited to see the the reveal of the Volvo XC40 EV in a couple weeks? The ICE XC40 has gotten some great reviews for being pretty much the goldi-locks size for a compact crossover and a lot of quirks designed for small families.

I'll most likely cross-shop this with the Y as they will probably be similarly priced, hopefully before incentives. AWD cuv from a big manufacturer with probably decent service has piqued my interest.

Reactions: dgaultiere
Not really interested.

Personally will be cross-shopping Y with used X, or Rivian R1S. Done with legacy auto, electric or not.

Hmm I've also been keeping my eye on the used X market but a little wary about buying in at the price point with outdated MCU, AP, and the whole yellowing screen fiasco. A 2017 X with 2.5 hardware would be ideal but still quite expensive compared to new inventory right now expecially if factoring in Raven and missing features found in the 3.

R1S also piqued my interest and hopefully, they will hit the streets in 2020 and not go way up in MSRP.

The poor Tesla service in my area is causing me to really consider legacy auto and Rivian's service model is yet to be officially revealed. I did read they are going mobile (they tow your car somewhere to get serviced). Will have to wait and see what they come up with.

The XC40 news caught me off guard.

The XC40 doesn't float my boat, but I'm liking the Polestar 2 from Volvo's other division:
The sexy electric vehicle you probably haven’t heard of is gunning for Tesla | The Star

I never thought a Volvo would catch my interest either. Maybe too many years in my buddies old wagon during high school.

Hmm I've also been keeping my eye on the used X market but a little wary about buying in at the price point with outdated MCU, AP, and the whole yellowing screen fiasco. A 2017 X with 2.5 hardware would be ideal but still quite expensive compared to new inventory right now expecially if factoring in Raven and missing features found in the 3.

R1S also piqued my interest and hopefully, they will hit the streets in 2020 and not go way up in MSRP.

The poor Tesla service in my area is causing me to really consider legacy auto and Rivian's service model is yet to be officially revealed. I did read they are going mobile (they tow your car somewhere to get serviced). Will have to wait and see what they come up with.

The XC40 news caught me off guard.

I never thought a Volvo would catch my interest either. Maybe too many years in my buddies old wagon during high school.

Yeah I hear you about the state of the X used market today, but I think it will look a little more palatable in 1-2 years.

Rivian is a total unknown in many respects, but for me the form factor of the R1S likely hits a sweet spot that Y and X are slight compromises on. That being said, everything else, from battery tech to software to service to production is unknown. Amazon/Ford being on-board does suggest they may be able to come up with swift solutions to manufacturing and logistics problems.

I think the XC40 EV is a great car for a lot of people, and as far as legacy automakers go, one can do far worse. But Tesla has ruined things for me. I look forward to there being many EV options [for people to choose from]. It’s just that putting an EV drivetrain into an ICE car doesn’t do anything for me - it’s Tesla’s total package of rapidly evolving software, performance, and autonomy that has completely redefined the automobile for me.

Volvo claims the XC40 BEV is different from the ICE version. We will see in 16 days. Don't know if the vehicle will be sold everywhere or just in the "Green" states?

The new platform/chassis is primarily what caught my attention. Unlike stuffing batteries in empty spaces of an existing ICE platform, this is apparently designed with BEV in mind. Guess we'll see in a couple weeks.

I may not be interested in buying one but still excited to see more EVs coming to the market. ICE gotta go, period. Been driving Mercedes for the last 25 years and hoping they would get serious with EV but was disappointed. Tesla quality is so so but I still love my S. Convinced my wife to give up her Mercedes SUV to pre-order a Y. For me, I like the option of driving 500 miles without HAVING to stay overnight though I always like to stay overnight somewhere because I am not in a hurry and like to relax. BUT I still want the option of not having have to, so Tesla is my only choice, for now. BTW, been drooling over the Mission-e since 3 years ago, glad I did not wait for all the promises.

Reactions: Petrocelli
The XC40 doesn't float my boat, but I'm liking the Polestar 2 from Volvo's other division:

The sexy electric vehicle you probably haven’t heard of is gunning for Tesla | The Star
I still have a deposit on a Polestar 2 even though I now have a Model 3. I have to remember to cancel that sometime to get a refund.

I am confused about Polestar’s role now that Volvo is coming out with their own EVs. My wife has a 2018 XC60 that she loves, but I could see her in a Volvo EV in a few years if they get fast charging figured out.

I will also be watching. It will be interesting to see which hits the real world market first. Will the Y come out early? Or standard Elon time? The article indicates a 2021 for BEV, but when in 2021, that is a long time away. But overall, the more options the better!

Will the Y come out early? Or standard Elon time?
I think it depends entirely upon whether they are simply raising the Model 3 (vastly simplifying here, but you get the point) and putting it through regulatory testing, or doing something substantially different. I keep hearing about a rigid wiring harness that Tesla feels will substantially reduce the amount of cabling in the car, which could reduce both COGS and labor costs. That could delay things quite a bit.

What should definitely help is keeping the interface the same in terms of steering wheel and a single center screen.

It seems odd to me that they would go with the new rigid wiring harness for the model Y. I would expect they would want their workers cross trained on the model 3. If they updated the model 3 for rigid harnesses, then it would make sense. Otherwise that would be yet another deviation in production patterns that would lead to errors and design issues. Rigid harnesses seem like a great idea, if they work, but introducing at this time seems to be a large risk.

I will also be watching. It will be interesting to see which hits the real world market first. Will the Y come out early? Or standard Elon time? The article indicates a 2021 for BEV, but when in 2021, that is a long time away. But overall, the more options the better!

Seems like Polestar is using LG Chem as one of it's battery suppliers (like every other manufacturer) so it's probably 2021. Most likely Volvo will also LG chem, but they are also reportedly using a chinese supplier as well (CATL). It would be nice to see more competition hit the roads in 2020.

Seems like LG chem has a bit too much of a strangle hold on the battery supply to the competition.... The conspiracy theorist in me says the timing is interesting as now LG is supplying batteries to Tesla in China just as fed incentives are ending, but I digress.

Wonder how the reliability will be, maybe better than the current T8’s since no ICE? The Y will be bigger, more along the lines of an XC60 (65-67cubic feet with the seats down).

Interesting, I'll have to go check out some ICE XC40's locally when I get a chance and eyeball my model 3 compared to it (+10% or so).

I finally saw a XC40 (ICE version) in the wild (parking lot). It looked like a SUV with plenty of ground clearance. No way is this going to be as "aero" as the model Y. Thus to hit 300 mile range, the Volvo will need a battery pack larger than Tesla.

Folks on the Volvo boards are saying no frunk as well. Some of the technical drawings somewhat show this as well (but who knows?). I’m a long time Volvo fan and owner (2016 V60 Platinum, 2016 XC90 Inscription, 2018 XC60 Inscription) but, sorry, after spending some time in a 2019 Model X, I can’t go back. Hence my Model Y pre order. Yeah, not as “fancy” and my past Volvo’s, but the tech makes up for it. I guess I can live without the Bowers & Wilkins sound and software updates I now have to pay for....

Great news. Before earlier this year when I got a random rental XC60, I had never driven a Volvo. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Everything just felt very high quality. Smooth and quiet yet plenty powerful.

I'd be ok with 200 mile range on this new XC40 EV just please please let it have some power too. Not asking much, around 5 sec 0-60.

Been driving XC40 a lot, love the form factor and wish Tesla was making a car like that. However my hopes are low. Seems a like an ICE-conversion and I assume that many performance metrics will be terrible such as range, acceleration and charging speed. And Pilot Assist has tried to kill me once already, that’s enough for me.