Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vote: Do you want a Model S scale model, and what would you pay for a good one?

How Much would you pay for a requisite quality scale model?

• Nothing, I don't care about a scale model

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • $20 - kit model only

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • $50

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • $100 - starting to get into v high quality plastic or die cast

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • $250 - v high quality resin or die-cast (prebuilt)

Votes: 24 20.0%
  • $500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a question that's come up many times, but with no answer so far: will Tesla or a third-party produce a scale-model of the Model S?

Obviously it takes Tesla and a producer to believe these models would sell - for those of us that would pay for a model, what would you want and what would you pay?

There are various types of models: die-cast, 1-piece molded resin, plastic piece kits, etc. And there are multiple various delivery configurations for each, such as: kits, one-piece model only, full dioramas, etc. What about variations of color, signature, , perf-vs-production, wheels, roof, etc. Finally, there's the whole target audience/quality level (which drives level-of-detail, size, features, and price): from very high-quality down to snap-tite models aimed at kids.

I personally picture a high-end die-cast or resin-body model in 1:18 (big) with all opening doors, frunk, trunk etc, lit headlights and taillights, quality interior with light-up screens! It'd have both wheel types, but would just feature the glass roof. If it's a custom built no-paint model, then it'd have to come in many colors, but at least sig red, and one or two others - maybe all? Obviously that's more expensive to make and justify than a simple blacked-out windows 'no-moving-parts other than wheels' model.

Thoughts? Please vote for the price you would pay, presuming a larger price would yield a requisite higher quality and more detailed model.

Hot Wheels made a Roadster. I bought two myself. There was also an RC Roadster. The Roadster was also featured in a video game.

I don't know how that came about. I remember talk of CAD files being shared.

I used to be the North American representative for Conti Models in Italy, a classic father & son operation, where everything was built by hand. I would send them photos and measurements of a client's car, usually a rare Ferrari, and they would create a beautiful 1:10 scale replica in about five months. The bodies were hammered from sheet copper, the seats covered in real hides, and the tires were custom molded. No plastic anywhere, except for the windows and light lenses. A one-off like this typically ran $30,000. Of course, if you consider that the real car was often worth millions, $30K for a hand-built replica was a no-brainer. The elder Conti's works have been displayed at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Both father and son have passed on.

Conti330GTCSide.jpg

Conti375MMProgress2.jpg

ContiCobra289TopLG.jpg

Last edited:
I'd definitely love to see a highly detailed 1/18 scale Tesla Model S myself. Naturally with opening parts and turbine wheels and with black as a choice of color. Especially since I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a real one, I'd love to have a model of a MODEL S in my diecast collection. I think Autoart and Hot Wheels Elite would be the best candidates to pull this off.