TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vote: Do you want a Model S scale model, and what would you pay for a good one?

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by Babylonfive, May 4, 2013.

?

How Much would you pay for a requisite quality scale model?

1. Nothing, I don't care about a scale model

13 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. $20 - kit model only

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. $50

29 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. $100 - starting to get into v high quality plastic or die cast

44 vote(s)
    37.0%
  5. $250 - v high quality resin or die-cast (prebuilt)

24 vote(s)
    20.2%
  6. $500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Here's a question that's come up many times, but with no answer so far: will Tesla or a third-party produce a scale-model of the Model S?

Obviously it takes Tesla and a producer to believe these models would sell - for those of us that would pay for a model, what would you want and what would you pay?

There are various types of models: die-cast, 1-piece molded resin, plastic piece kits, etc. And there are multiple various delivery configurations for each, such as: kits, one-piece model only, full dioramas, etc. What about variations of color, signature, , perf-vs-production, wheels, roof, etc. Finally, there's the whole target audience/quality level (which drives level-of-detail, size, features, and price): from very high-quality down to snap-tite models aimed at kids.

I personally picture a high-end die-cast or resin-body model in 1:18 (big) with all opening doors, frunk, trunk etc, lit headlights and taillights, quality interior with light-up screens! It'd have both wheel types, but would just feature the glass roof. If it's a custom built no-paint model, then it'd have to come in many colors, but at least sig red, and one or two others - maybe all? Obviously that's more expensive to make and justify than a simple blacked-out windows 'no-moving-parts other than wheels' model.

Thoughts? Please vote for the price you would pay, presuming a larger price would yield a requisite higher quality and more detailed model.

2. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Hot Wheels made a Roadster. I bought two myself. There was also an RC Roadster. The Roadster was also featured in a video game.

I don't know how that came about. I remember talk of CAD files being shared.

3. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Yup, understood and well known. I was asking about making a Model S - obviously the best way to do that would also be to share a subset of CAD files.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Would it be able to fit a 4.7 kWh battery?

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I would rather like Gen III to be a scale model of Model S. But I am not interested in a scale model of Model S for kids.

6. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Yea, me either Roma. I want a nice big one for my desk.

7. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

I'm surprised this is so unimportant to most folks <sad look>

8. wts13

wts13 Member

I'd be interested in creating an "open source model." Maybe 3D printing could be an option? Any 3D printing experts around here?

9. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

That'd actually be cool, except that Tesla may consider their cars' shapes as copyrighted.
    That's one main reason that going forward folks looking at labeled or logo'd merchandise should be concerned about license/permission.

10. Zextraterrestrial

11. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#11 ToddRLockwood, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    I used to be the North American representative for Conti Models in Italy, a classic father & son operation, where everything was built by hand. I would send them photos and measurements of a client's car, usually a rare Ferrari, and they would create a beautiful 1:10 scale replica in about five months. The bodies were hammered from sheet copper, the seats covered in real hides, and the tires were custom molded. No plastic anywhere, except for the windows and light lenses. A one-off like this typically ran $30,000. Of course, if you consider that the real car was often worth millions, $30K for a hand-built replica was a no-brainer. The elder Conti's works have been displayed at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Both father and son have passed on.

Conti330GTCSide.jpg

Conti375MMProgress2.jpg

ContiCobra289TopLG.jpg

12. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Thanks Todd, that's amazing.

I was hoping for interest enough to explain 500+ Model S copies at ~$250; enough to amortize the molding, paint, options designs, etc. to really do a great model.
    I am not optimistic.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My wallet hurts.

14. electricknight

I'd definitely love to see a highly detailed 1/18 scale Tesla Model S myself. Naturally with opening parts and turbine wheels and with black as a choice of color. Especially since I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a real one, I'd love to have a model of a MODEL S in my diecast collection. I think Autoart and Hot Wheels Elite would be the best candidates to pull this off.

15. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

16. shady

shady Member

My Tesla came with 2. They are really cool, I've put them on the bookshelf in the office.

I would upload a photo, but I need to call Tesla right now. The funniest thing, when I picked up my car this afternoon, they didn't give me any keys!

17. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

LOL Shady.

I keep my models in my pocket and found I don't seem to need any keys.

18. KerryHVS

KerryHVS New Member

I always have to buy a model for all my cars - the MS will be the first I don't have one for (I mean besides my wife's minivan) so let's hope someone gets their act together soon!

19. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Still no scale Model S
    Would really like one to help me get through the final months wait for my 1-1 scale version.

20. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

I want one!