Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vote on software features/bugs to fix in 7.1 and beyond

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I've taken a renewed interest in reaching out to Tesla with this list. That being said, going over the items, we have several big wins either by coincidence or causality.

1. Driver side only door handle present
2. Many Android app improvements, including notifications
3. Many, many autopilot improvements
4. GPS enabled Homelink
5. No key needed to unlock charge port when at Home location
6. Homelink button size adjustment

We'll certainly see what v8 brings. Hopefully a lot more, including Media improvements like hot-linking artist/album/year to queue next track for matching info, waypoints / route planning from app/computer, and auto-close sunroof for rain.

Reactions: jvonbokel
I've got a new one or three :)

geofence muting audio for the parking sensors.

My driveway is tight but I know where it is, and I dont need a gazillion beeps to tell me, but I would quite like to have them enabled for elsewhere and remembering to mute/unmute them is going to end in (my) tears.

Generally Tesla could make so much more use of geofencing as (most?) nobody else has it.
Even the current suspension geofencing could do with a start/stop so you can set for a stretch of road, not just eg a driveway entrance.

Also the app could register if somebody moves the car when parked (hopefully authorized! but most definitely if not) and also could alert the owner if the car senses an impact - think parked in a car park and you come out to the car only to find the fender trashed and nobody in sight, the car could alert you and you could go catch the person that done it.

The car could also notify you if one of the tyres goes flat eg whilst you're at the office all day so you can have it fixed before you leave rather than walk out to a flat at the end of the day.

There is soo much more the app could do.

Starting up up quickly and reliably would be a good beginning (Android) it must be said.

Tesla need to have a reward deal, apparel/accessory or the like for every idea adopted to crowdsource from a pool of 100,000+ wild imaginations. Or even a credit list on the display in the model easter egg or similar, how cool would that be.

Reactions: jvonbokel and msnow
I've got a new one or three :)

geofence muting audio for the parking sensors.

My driveway is tight but I know where it is, and I dont need a gazillion beeps to tell me, but I would quite like to have them enabled for elsewhere and remembering to mute/unmute them is going to end in (my) tears.

Generally Tesla could make so much more use of geofencing as (most?) nobody else has it.
Even the current suspension geofencing could do with a start/stop so you can set for a stretch of road, not just eg a driveway entrance.

Also the app could register if somebody moves the car when parked (hopefully authorized! but most definitely if not) and also could alert the owner if the car senses an impact - think parked in a car park and you come out to the car only to find the fender trashed and nobody in sight, the car could alert you and you could go catch the person that done it.

The car could also notify you if one of the tyres goes flat eg whilst you're at the office all day so you can have it fixed before you leave rather than walk out to a flat at the end of the day.

There is soo much more the app could do.

Starting up up quickly and reliably would be a good beginning (Android) it must be said.

Tesla need to have a reward deal, apparel/accessory or the like for every idea adopted to crowdsource from a pool of 100,000+ wild imaginations. Or even a credit list on the display in the model easter egg or similar, how cool would that be.
Wow! Those are some great ideas.

As someone who lives in a condo and only charges at work, I turn on Range Mode for every weekend. I would like more customization on what gets turned off and on when range mode is enabled. e.g.
--front wheel drive vs all wheel drive
--Reduced or regular AC output
--Smart preconditioning on or off (better yet, do not turn on smart preconditioning unless I'm plugged in)
--turn off A/C when outside temperature is within a comfortable range.
--etc

I'd like to add an idea as well as an enhancement to Autopilot. It would be interesting if while on a trip if Autopilot had "Slipstreaming/Platooning" modes.

The slipstream mode would take into account the distance to the car in front of the vehicle and adjust distance (within limits set by the driver and safety considerations) to improve aerodynamics and increase efficiency.

The platooning mode would be more futuristic- It would take into account trip destination and query for nearby Tesla's on the same route to allow them to line up for the trip to draft one another caravan style. The mode might evaluate the SoC of each vehicle in the platoon and disperse them in such a way to minimize congestion at SC locations.

Yep, far out pie in the sky stuff, but with all the potential in AP stuff like this might be run of the mill in a few short years.

Reactions: jvonbokel and msnow
The platooning mode would be more futuristic- It would take into account trip destination and query for nearby Tesla's on the same route to allow them to line up for the trip to draft one another caravan style. The mode might evaluate the SoC of each vehicle in the platoon and disperse them in such a way to minimize congestion at SC locations.

I may be saying what you mean by "disperse them", but knowing the SOC of all the cars and the destinations, one could pick (or rotate) the leader.

I may be saying what you mean by "disperse them", but knowing the SOC of all the cars and the destinations, one could pick (or rotate) the leader.

Yeah- There's a lot of interesting improvements in efficiency that might emerge when Autopilot and Trip Planner are combined with similar data from nearby cars.

Coincidentally, Tesla is already thinking about these features (of course they are) and the benefits that it would have on traffic as noted in part of the Tesla 2.0 roadmap:

"Traffic congestion would improve due to increased passenger areal density by eliminating the center aisle and putting seats where there are currently entryways, and matching acceleration and braking to other vehicles, thus avoiding the inertial impedance to smooth traffic flow of traditional heavy buses. It would also take people all the way to their destination."

This is my biggest frustration with the app. It works fairly well once it connects, but getting it to connect often takes multiple tries, which is hard to accept now that it's 3+ years old.

Yep, bingo. Same complaints. And this is on multiple services as well as multiple flagship devices, as well as multiple Android releases. Only finger to point is at the app.

I'd like to add an idea as well as an enhancement to Autopilot. It would be interesting if while on a trip if Autopilot had "Slipstreaming/Platooning" modes.

The slipstream mode would take into account the distance to the car in front of the vehicle and adjust distance (within limits set by the driver and safety considerations) to improve aerodynamics and increase efficiency.

Yep, far out pie in the sky stuff, but with all the potential in AP stuff like this might be run of the mill in a few short years.

You mean stuff like GM was predicting 60 years ago --- for 20 years in the future (1976)?

It's even called "Auto Pilot"! WOW and a 662 mile range!

But I'll have to pass on the "pre-digested food cooked by infrared".

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and jvonbokel
Yep, bingo. Same complaints. And this is on multiple services as well as multiple flagship devices, as well as multiple Android releases. Only finger to point is at the app.
I do find that if I stop/kill the Tesla APP on Android and then restart it so it goes through the TESLA startup screen that it works much more quickly. It seems to lose its connection via the phone when it hasn't been used for awhile.

• Helpful
I do find that if I stop/kill the Tesla APP on Android and then restart it so it goes through the TESLA startup screen that it works much more quickly. It seems to lose its connection via the phone when it hasn't been used for awhile.
Yes, but you have to kill it every time. And sometimes I forget. But you are right, that does help in the next launch.

i recall somebody tried it on an android emulator and it worked just fine.

In particular for me it means that Summon is pointless as the app never connects in a usable time and for summon is unstable even when you do get it to connect so it just cr*ps out most every time.

Feature: Include Music channel to Custom Driver Setting

As a driver, I'd like the driver setting to also remember the driver's music channel last played because I get annoyed having to change a channel after a valet driver or my husband changed it.

Thanks!!

Time to resurrect a dead thread! Calling @BertL @msnow @Korben

It looks like 2 years later, some of the more popular items are finally making it into the software. Namely, sunroof close on rain, and retracting steering wheel on enter/exit.

Certainly better late than never and I wish the software dev team all the best.
Where is this happening as I see nothing beyond the Electrek article about Easy-In/Out I posted yesterday in the Wishlist Thread that it is supposedly coming in a future update because of a Tweet (not because of this piece of work from 2015).

You perhaps have insider information that can't be talked about. I would of course appreciate improvements that at a minimum bring our Tesla up to date with what other luxury vehicles had before our MS were produced, but I remain pessimistic for now with all the promises and false starts we've been through. Until acknowledged bugs are fixed and more functionally is actually delivered to level the playing field, I still believe Elon and Tesla are marching to their own drum beat as to what's important or fun to work on (e.g. look at that menu for access to Easter Eggs that no one needs or asked for). @Korben and everyone's thoughtful work here is sheer coincidence, unless we first see the top priority items delivered. Things like "sunroof close on rain" is far from a high priority need for the less than 200K existing owners who have a sunroof and helped fund Tesla getting to M3 launch, let alone for future owners (M3 doesn't even have a sunroof option) -- it's just another fun thing for the engineers to work on and Elon to tout to the press, which will have minimal practical application for the majority of owners today and tomorrow.

Last edited:
Where is this happening as I see nothing beyond the Electrek article about Easy-In/Out I posted yesterday in the Wishlist Thread that it is supposedly coming in a future update because of a Tweet (not because of this piece of work from 2015).

You perhaps have insider information that can't be talked about. I would of course appreciate improvements that at a minimum bring our Tesla up to date with what other luxury vehicles had before our MS were produced, but I remain pessimistic for now with all the promises and false starts we've been through. Until acknowledged bugs are fixed and more functionally is actually delivered to level the playing field, I still believe Elon and Tesla are marching to their own drum beat as to what's important or fun to work on (e.g. look at that menu for access to Easter Eggs that no one needs or asked for). @Korben and everyone's thoughtful work here is sheer coincidence, unless we first see the top priority items delivered. Things like "sunroof close on rain" is far from a high priority need for the less than 200K existing owners who have a sunroof and helped fund Tesla getting to M3 launch, let alone for future owners (M3 doesn't even have a sunroof option) -- it's just another fun thing for the engineers to work on and Elon to tout to the press, which will have minimal practical application for the majority of owners today and tomorrow.

It looks like auto close sunroof, retract steering wheel, and cloud storage of settings were just tweeted in the last 24hrs. Those were all top voted things on korbens list. I'm excited to see things getting ticked off the list.

Where is this happening

Elon's been tweeting. Now, whether or not you consider his twitter account a reliable source of information is a different question.

IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg