TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

VR video of Bill Gates driving in Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by >NetZero, May 17, 2016.

1. >NetZero

>NetZero Member

Bill gates posted this awesome video of him and Neal Stephenson driving in a Model X over on his website.

Not sure if the Model X is his or not. I couldn't find anywhere online about him owning one.

The Day the Moon Blew Up

• Like x 4
  2. bigred93

bigred93 Member

The blue X is cool as is the video but the charcoal grey 959 they parked next to at Burgomaster is fantastic (2:19). Nice easter egg.

3. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Guessing it's Stephenson's, based on the license plate. Or could just be a prop for the film.

4. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Gates is driving pretty naturally. I would guess it is his.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I read Seveneves last year and thought it was very original, thought provoking, and a terrific story.

6. flar

flar Member

The license plate is the name of the book the other guy wrote, if that tells you anything...

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Then the X probably belonged to Neal Stephenson, not Gates.

It did seem that when Gates is shown early in the video getting into the car, he does not appear to be familiar with the location of the gear stalk.

8. swesson

swesson Member

This is a great find, particularly since Gates used to own a 959. Rumor was that he had his license suspended in Washington state because of excessive citations in the Porsche.

9. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

I wonder if that is actually Bill's 959, does he still have the 959? If you notice, there are some other things in the video that are a bit odd and look as if they were placed there intentionally.

10. swesson

swesson Member

upload_2016-5-18_16-33-24.png
    Photo of BG's 959

11. flar

flar Member

You mean not every neighborhood has sword fights and a guy riding a 2-story bicycle?

Also, the corner of Howe and Boyer is backwards - notice where the car is driving, which side of the road cars are parked on, and which side the bike lane markings are on (bikes don't ride backwards through traffic on the left side of the road). Yet, somehow the words on the signpost are forwards (and looking a bit pixelated). The 3 construction workers crossing the road there are conspicuous, but I can't place what they are supposed to be a reference to...?

With that level of digital manipulation going on, they could almost have faked the license plate...?

• Funny x 1
  12. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

I do know with 100% certainty that the license plate was faked...

13. freds

freds Member

Oh wow Bill Gates can drive a Tesla?

I would have no problem with him driving mine, it would take about a 30 second briefing as we would know he has driven lots of high performance cars!!! Kind of an advantage of being as rich as XXXX.

Duh, the briefing would go; think of it as muscle that you are driving in second gear! It is going to have bad ass acceleration and when you let off on the pedal it going to immediately slow down....

PS. Heard a funny story a few years back about a policeman pulling him over a unregistered car and calling it in because he didn't know who he was. Needless to say the policeman caught hell for being clueless....

• Helpful x 1
  14. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Faked license plate and bill driving suggests it was gates car. But bill not knowing where to grab the seatbelt like you would do in a car not your own suggests it was somewhat new to Bill. It was an odd video with surprisingly odd slited conversation. But cool 360 view video.