Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vredestein Space Master spare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some additional info if Im allowed.
inflated the tire with the Tesla pump (took about 6-8 minutes, IIRC) mounted it, both back and front. Perfect fitment. I left it on the right front, drove 10 miles, residential, up to 50mph, lots of harsh concrete, listening for anomalies. Zero noticeable issues.
This is the same pump the Maserati comes with, Also for what its worth the Ghibili jack is a pin jack, which looking at it you might be able to use that to lift the car and not use jack pads.

The car drove and felt totally normal. I even have photos showing that the stance of the car looked totally normal. The inflated tire is very close to full-size OEM. The tread width is about 7", vs. the Modern Spare.

The modern spare is 145/85R18 103M stands 27.7" tall
The Vredestein is 195/75R18 106P stands 29.5" tall
OEM 19 is 255/45R19 104W stands 28" tall

When compared to the oem 19"
Modern spare size difference .3"
Vredestein differences 1.5"

Based off standard information that can be found on spares, This is typically ok for short distances, as long as the tire is with in 2 inches.

Additionally the Center bore size is 67.1 on the Vredestein and 64.1 on the model y, a hub ring is suggested.

As with any mod, YMMV! If you choose to go to the trouble of LOCATING one of these wheels/tires off a wrecked Maserati Levante, that's your choice. All of the risk is on you. (Jeez, I guess I've hung out with enough lawyers, and "Karen"s that I felt the need to say this!!!)

There are TWO different Vredestein SpaceMaster sizes for Maserati. AFAIK, the Ghibli spare does NOT fit (different lug bolt dimensions). As for part numbers, I'm not going to post them here, as there was some confusion between what the Maserati dealer told me vs. what Parts_Link told me, so it's up to y'all to find the right wheel/tire. The wheel/tire I purchased fits, that's all I can confirm.
This is what I have found take it for what its worth. The Model Y/3 bolt pattern is 114.3x5. There are two types of spares for the Levante, one with a 5 spoke aluminum rim and one with a steel rim. The tires mounted to both are 195/75R18 106P, be careful not to get the 95P version.

According to Maserati dealer in Arizona these are interchangeable on all models of the Levante, have the same load rating, and that the new steel rim version supersedes the 5 spoke. I messed around an ordered a tire in the middle of the night, and had to deal with getting it canceled because it was wrong. In short do your own research and assume the risk associated with it.

Reactions: vlee and Pianewman
zikronix: Thanks for the detailed post. This is exactly the information that is important for anyone interested in using a spare tire for the Tesla MY.

FYI, the Modern Spare center bore is huge, compared to the Tesla hub. I asked them about it, and they simply stated that "The Modern Spare is a lug centric wheel, not a hub centric wheel."

Knowing that the Vredestein center bore is larger than the Tesla hub, it is functioning as a lug centric wheel. For a short distance, driving gently, I don't think this is a problem. With properly installed conical lug nuts, there is virtually no risk.

I found some inexpensive auto "carpet" online from Home Depot. It almost matches OEM, looks better than the felt. Now I need to cover the tire/wheel in the same material, and it will virtually disappear.

Hmm. No, I did not. I will consider doing that. Even an inch or two, given the angle of the wheel, might make a big difference.
Since you found a matching carpet material, perhaps you could cover the bottom of the under-trunk with it (after the stock liner has been removed). So that it won't look too strange for anyone who lifts up the trunk cover.

Actually, the cheap "carpet" material doesn't match perfectly. ;) I used it to cover the new, plywood deck, and had an upholstery shop make a sleeve for the spare itself.

I don't understand what you think I should cover. The inside of the large under-truck bucket? The OEM material isn't carpet.

1666136032724.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
what you think I should cover. The inside of the large under-truck bucket? The OEM material isn't carpet.
Yes. I think once you remove the bucket, it will be exposed (painted) metal. Which might look a little strange (or not, depending on your preferences).
Is your bucket not covered in carpet? Mine is a thin carpet. Although it is slightly different than the trunk carpet, I think it is similar enough that the trunk carpet would work.

Update on Vredestein Spare Tire installed in deep well.

It's functioning flawlessly, as I expected. I haven't had a flat in almost 12 months!!! 🤪 🤣
Possible you have tested fitment with aesthetic bottom cover removed and could advise if that might allow the spare to sit low enough to have a flat top surface?

What is the weight of the space master solution for reference?

If a person were concerned with Inflated Circumference/Diameter matching on the limited Collapsable spares avalible, Could a person get the closest matching diameter avalible, and empirically test the inflation pressure to size the collapsable spare to better match the application?

Assuming the augmented inflation pressure were Close to the rated advised inflation pressure do you think, since you have a bit of experience inflating this one?

I think the main issue of all those threads dealing with spare tires,
is that Tesla didn't provide a way to safely carring a spare tire for people
who travel far away from any Service Center or a tire repair shop.
Especially since Tesla sell cars all over the world from Alaska to Australia.

In fact, when looking under the trunk cover, there would be plenty of room
available but the Engineers at Tesla didn't try to curve a little bit the beam
located between the left and right wheel houses. And many pictures show
this problem where spares tires are just few inches too large to to located flat
and securely at the bottom of the trunk.

Tesla even don't provide any anchors to attach a strap
to hold safely any items, such as a spare tire, inside the trunk.

I wish that Tesla uses some focus groups or evaluate comments from users.

Would the unit from the Pacifica, even with the 5X137 bolt pattern, be an option with a hubcentric adapter? Probably a lot more of those out there than for the Maserati! It looks like it is a 165-80 17 tire. I'll measure the height of it deflated if I can get to it tomorrow on our Pacifica.

Video of it on Youtube -

steined: Nope. The bolt holes won't line up. 114.3mm vs. 137mm.

"Given a two number system, a bolt pattern, also known as the lug pattern, is the measurement of an imaginary circle formed by the lug holes at the center of your wheel. The first number indicates how many bolt holes the wheel has. The second number is the diameter of the imaginary circle around the holes."

Reactions: Skavatar
There are generally hub adapters to deal with bolt spacing, However, the suggested 17" wheel might not clear Tesla brakes, and the associated tire, a 165/80R17, is much to short. Sensors will certainly scream. Meanwhile that it doesn't look like it saved much space.

Personally I've moved on from the Vredstein Space Master idea and am not awaiting a compact spare I believe will fill the bill nicely. More if it works out.