Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vredestein Space Master spare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nosken: Forgive my lack of manners. Thank you for finding this wheel/tire. I had given up hope that this could be done.

jcanoe: The VredesteinSpaceMaster is a much wider tire than the ModernSpare and won't fit in the frunk. I posted earlier about the Modern Spare fitting in the frunk, lying down with the liner removed. I considered making a bracket to keep it from riding on the AC compressor, but after hearing from several who questioned the potential for compromise to the "crumple zones" in an accident, as well as significant damage to sensitive systems in front of the firewall, I dismissed the Modern Spare as an option.

That said, I think the Vredestein is going to suit my needs perfectly. I need to figure out how to secure it in the trunk deep well, but there is sufficient space for the jack and tools in the well, with additional space for soft goods.

I am glad I found that one for all you Model Y people! When you are searching around see if you can find one for my Model S Plaid. It is 5X120.
Have you tried doing a search by lug pattern? There's also like half a dozen alternatives for 5x114.3. For ex.

thesmokingman: The biggest problem I found during my searching was the age of most of them on EBay. Seriously, most were 8-15 years old, so the rubber would be questionable.
Yea, that's to be expected. During the initial life of a car not many owners are elect to getting rid of their spare. We have to wait for crashed/salvage etc. However the space saver spare tire itself isn't too expensive to purchase new. They're up to 150, so if in the worse case one could source the right rim it might be doable.

For me, I'm waiting till the foam PZeros wear out and I'll switch to regular non-foam tires and carry fix flat.

Yea, that's to be expected. During the initial life of a car not many owners are elect to getting rid of their spare. We have to wait for crashed/salvage etc. However the space saver spare tire itself isn't too expensive to purchase new. They're up to 150, so if in the worse case one could source the right rim it might be doable.

For me, I'm waiting till the foam PZeros wear out and I'll switch to regular non-foam tires and carry fix flat.
Where have you found space saver tires available? Vredestein told me, during a phone conversation, that they were NOT available separately from the rim.

You're referring to something different than the Vredestein Space Master, which is a collapsible tire, not a traditional "donut" spare. AFAIK, these are available ONLY from dealerships, with wheel/rim, and are unavailable separately.

Last edited:
The space intrusion is minimal, about 4 1/2" high. The hydraulic jack/breaker bar are nestled under the wheel, with space for soft goods in the wheel cavity.

Rather than cut the OEM trunk floorboard, I used 1/2" plywood (<$30), covered in $7.99/yd. synthetic felt. Doesn't match the texture of OEM, but close enough for now. I'll investigate finding a hunk of thin automotive carpet.

I need to figure out how to secure the wheel to the back of the trunk. I'll need to remove the trunk liner and see what's there.

This takes up a LOT less space than the Modern Spare.

Attachments

• vredestein1.jpg
    vredestein1.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 308
  • vredestein2.jpg
    vredestein2.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 203
  • vredestein3.jpg
    vredestein3.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 208
  • vredestein4.jpg
    vredestein4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
The space intrusion is minimal, about 4 1/2" high. The hydraulic jack/breaker bar are nestled under the wheel, with space for soft goods in the wheel cavity.

Rather than cut the OEM trunk floorboard, I used 1/2" plywood (<$30), covered in $7.99/yd. synthetic felt. Doesn't match the texture of OEM, but close enough for now. I'll investigate finding a hunk of thin automotive carpet.

I need to figure out how to secure the wheel to the back of the trunk. I'll need to remove the trunk liner and see what's there.

This takes up a LOT less space than the Modern Spare.
Could you please post a link for where you got this rim/tire/jack/etc. ?

Jack: HarborFreight

Rim/Tire: OEM equipment on Maserati Levante, 2017-present. New from dealer, close to $1,000.

nosken, forum member here, located this one at PartsLink. Completely new, never mounted, for $298, including shipping.

Vredestein does NOT sell the SpaceMaster retail, AFAIK, only offers it as OEM equipment for various brands. When I spoke with them last year, they weren't interested in cross-referencing for me, checking offset, hub diameter, lug bolt pattern. For sure, this particular Maserati spare bolts up perfectly to the Model Y, has the appropriate load rating.

I'm grateful to nosken for finding the one I bought. I you're interested, you'll need to comb the internet to find another one.

Reactions: Nosken
Jack: HarborFreight

Rim/Tire: OEM equipment on Maserati Levante, 2017-present. New from dealer, close to $1,000.

nosken, forum member here, located this one at PartsLink. Completely new, never mounted, for $298, including shipping.

Vredestein does NOT sell the SpaceMaster retail, AFAIK, only offers it as OEM equipment for various brands. When I spoke with them last year, they weren't interested in cross-referencing for me, checking offset, hub diameter, lug bolt pattern. For sure, this particular Maserati spare bolts up perfectly to the Model Y, has the appropriate load rating.

I'm grateful to nosken for finding the one I bought. I you're interested, you'll need to comb the internet to find another one.
Which jack also check your messages lol

1st photo, looking down into trunk well. The wheel is canted at an angle to reduce intrusion into the trunk area. It COULD be stood up vertically, but the woul clearly take up more vertical space.

Also, the wheel is off center to accommodate the 1.5 ton jack, which isn't symmetrical.

I found some inexpensive auto "carpet" online from Home Depot. It almost matches OEM, looks better than the felt. Now I need to cover the tire/wheel in the same material, and it will virtually disappear.

Attachments

• vredestein6.jpg
    vredestein6.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 205
  • vredestein7.jpg
    vredestein7.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 216
  • vredestein8.jpg
    vredestein8.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Informative
Reactions: Noflash and Nosken
I inflated the tire with the Tesla pump (took about 6-8 minutes, IIRC) mounted it, both back and front. Perfect fitment. I left it on the right front, drove 10 miles, residential, up to 50mph, lots of harsh concrete, listening for anomalies. Zero noticeable issues.

The car drove and felt totally normal. I even have photos showing that the stance of the car looked totally normal. The inflated tire is very close to full-size OEM. The tread width is about 7", vs. the Modern Spare.

As with any mod, YMMV! If you choose to go to the trouble of LOCATING one of these wheels/tires off a wrecked Maserati Levante, that's your choice. All of the risk is on you. (Jeez, I guess I've hung out with enough lawyers, and "Karen"s that I felt the need to say this!!!)

There are TWO different Vredestein SpaceMaster sizes for Maserati. AFAIK, the Ghibli spare does NOT fit (different lug bolt dimensions). As for part numbers, I'm not going to post them here, as there was some confusion between what the Maserati dealer told me vs. what Parts_Link told me, so it's up to y'all to find the right wheel/tire. The wheel/tire I purchased fits, that's all I can confirm.

Another thing: I haven't weighed the Vredestein SpaceMaster, but it's VERY heavy, much heavier than the Modern Spare. Not a criticism of either, just an observation.

Reactions: DanDi58