Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vroom Sale [of a model 3] Gone Bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did they say was the reason for the $1200 deduction?
"Well the algorithm the computer uses is based on a car with FSD and 19" wheels. Since you don't have either one and the inspector said there's some paint discrepancies and a few chips on your front bumper, we have to knock it down a bit."
But honestly, even after they knocked it down, it was still a pretty good price. As with the paint discrepancies, I had my passenger front and rear doors repainted because some supermarket cart hit the car on one windy day causing a 5 inch scratch and slight dent. They asked me about accident, I told them no and I didn't volunteer any other info.
They actually just picked up the car from my house today.

Reactions: Hebert and PNWLeccy
"Well the algorithm the computer uses is based on a car with FSD and 19" wheels. Since you don't have either one and the inspector said there's some paint discrepancies and a few chips on your front bumper, we have to knock it down a bit."
But honestly, even after they knocked it down, it was still a pretty good price. As with the paint discrepancies, I had my passenger front and rear doors repainted because some supermarket cart hit the car on one windy day causing a 5 inch scratch and slight dent. They asked me about accident, I told them no and I didn't volunteer any other info.

The interesting thing about what you just typed, is, basically, they told you they only value BOTH FSD AND 19 inch wheels at $1200 or less (if their algorithm includes both, and they only deducted $1200 for you having neither, as well as some paint discrepancies.

Interesting that they don't just add a field in their for for wheels and AP options like all of the others. Well, I've got 19" wheels, no FSD and some small paint chips on the bumper. If my deductions are similar to yours, I'll still come out ahead of the other offers I've gotten.

And the fact that they even think everyone would have FSD and 19" wheels is beyond me. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This is simply likely their way of pumping up their valuation, to make it look more attractive so you choose them while you are getting your quotes. Similar to how regular car dealers will advertise a car, and in the very fine print at the bottom, say that the price includes basically every rebate / program available, including things like military discounts, conquest AND loyalty programs etc.... stuff that no one will qualify for everything on.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Ha, no accidents or anything, not sure what Vroom was smoking. I was just wanting to gauge current value given all the talk on the used car market and thinking maybe I could upgrade to a Performance. I also got quotes from Tesla, Carvana, and GMTV all in the $40-45k range. Not quite worth it to me given I've got acceleration boost and FSD (and in the beta) on the current car. For what it's worth, GMTV seemed to be the most responsive and transparent about the maximum they could come up to (I told them I wasn't really interested unless they could magically come up to $50-55k, lol).
Ah, well I'm betting someone left off a 0 from their quote. No biggie, just one order of magnitude 😂

I think you can always go to your DMV and request another title saying you lost it. Also if there's a lien on the title, they still don't have rights to your car. I recently sold my 21 M3SR+ to CarbuyerUSA. They were the highest offer as one of you mentioned above. I went with it. It's been about 6 days, I mailed them the title, they sent an inspector to inspect the car, knocked down the quote by $1200(but still higher than others), signed papers and looks like I have been funded my equity and my loan is paid off. I'm currently waiting for them to send someone to pick up the car.
How much did you get? they gave me the best offer 2021 sr+ 17k miles. After inspection they said tires at 5 and need to be replaces and a tiny mark on the bumper. They then took off 1750 off the initial offer w that also sayin I don't have the sport wheels or fsd. I told them caravan had higher offer so he's like ok ill match it lets close this deal. Felt very much like a dealership. Caravana upped their offer and I have not gotten back to cbusa.

How much did you get? they gave me the best offer 2021 sr+ 17k miles. After inspection they said tires at 5 and need to be replaces and a tiny mark on the bumper. They then took off 1750 off the initial offer w that also sayin I don't have the sport wheels or fsd. I told them caravan had higher offer so he's like ok ill match it lets close this deal. Felt very much like a dealership. Caravana upped their offer and I have not gotten back to cbusa.
They quoted $48200. I was at 7760 miles. Ended up $47,000. Tried to push $47,500, no dice. Carvana $44,500, Vroom $44,000, Tesla $35,700.
Overall it was pretty smooth transaction.

They quoted $48200. I was at 7760 miles. Ended up $47,000. Tried to push $47,500, no dice. Carvana $44,500, Vroom $44,000, Tesla $35,700.
Overall it was pretty smooth transaction.
So I got a little over 46200 offer from carvana and honesty after having that scammy feeling from cbusa like being in a dealership and how they all of a sudden could bump up the price again I just didn’t like how they did that. Like I know they want to make money but I’m not interested in playing games. From what I hear carvana doesn’t ply games like that.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Same deal with my Chevy Blazer sale (algorithm limitation), except they said they said my car didn't have a sunroof or leather seats. Seems like they find 2 features your car doesn't have and use that as an excuse to knock money off their offer. They reduced mine by $1,100.

Just got a call today from the third party auto transport that GMTV contracted to get my MME. They're planning to pick it up at my workplace. GMTV's policy is that the driver calls them when he's there to get the car, confirms its condition, then GMTV releases the equity check and sends payoff funds (if required). That check is already in my possession for the amount to which we agreed. I can update this thread tomorrow after everything shakes out when they pick up the car if anyone is interested.

After reading many of these comments, I have to say GMTV's process has been *much* better than what some of you have experienced. I was pretty skeptical at first (naturally, see my name?), as their website looks like something out of the early oughts, but so far, so good. I would encourage anyone thinking of selling their car to give them a shot.

Reactions: SageBrush
I canceled Vroom today ... maybe

Once again I was connected to Tier 1 sales. The Rep (as always, pleasant and trying to be helpful) was great until I got to my reason for the call and then had to inform me that was not something he could do (what's new.) Time to transfer to contracts ... but contracts never picked up the phone. I hung up after 20 minutes of ringing.

THEN I read somewhere on the internet that Vroom has a chat function. That sounded much better to me since I would have documentation. The chat turned out to be a bot (bad) but it knew of an email address used for cancellations. So that is sent, and now I wait ...

---
In the meantime I've requested a car title from my local MVD. The clerk says it takes two weeks (!) but I'm hopeful that was an exaggeration. I also contacted KBB for their 'instant quote' (which amounts to a referral to a dealer) and GiveMetheVIN.com. Each was willing to negotiate a bit: the local Honda dealer offered $40k - $41k -> $41.3. GiveMetheVIN offered $41.5k -> $42.5k. Vroom offered $39k.

I've learned to appreciate companies that pick up the phone, respond in a timely fashion, and follow-through on their promises. I've also decided that local drop-off is just about a must since it gives me a way to unwind a transaction if it goes sour. Payment is also something to consider: the local dealership cuts a cashier's check while GiveMetheVIN gives the customer a company check that is 'activated' after they approve inspection of the car.

From my POV the difference in offers between these two companies represents the difference in their business practices: the dealership follows the local market while GiveMetheVIN is able to access a much wider market by partnering with Mannheim auctions. The latter gives them a semi-local presence but they still have to take care of paperwork via FedEx and payment is a bit more clumsy. And of course they have to pay Mannheim.

The 1k+ difference in price was enough for me to take a chance on GiveMetheVIN and so far so good. The Rep has been responsive and efficient, and has done what he said he would do. That is a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: SkepTeach

Your link doesnt work for the joke you are attemping to tell with it. It resolves to "type meaning of BK here" instead of a definition of it. I am fairly sure that you mean "bankruptcy" (and fairly certain that @oreobbq was making a joke about acronyms). With that being said, your link currently just shows that @oreobbq was correct in questioning it, rather than you showing "this is easily found through google" which you likely intended.

Reactions: Pkmmte and oreobbq
Your link doesnt work for the joke you are attemping to tell with it. It resolves to "type meaning of BK here" instead of a definition of it. I am fairly sure that you mean "bankruptcy" (and fairly certain that @oreobbq was making a joke about acronyms). With that being said, your link currently just shows that @oreobbq was correct in questioning it, rather than you showing "this is easily found through google" which you likely intended.

Gotcha ;)

It was indeed my intent for the link to resolve to 'meaning of BK' since that is what a person might do if they were trying to figure out the acronym. Bankruptcy shows up very soon in that search result list, and while it is not unique, the context is pretty clear wot ?

So that's that with the MME. The [very Russian] third party transport just picked it up for GMTV and confirmed its condition, they've activated my equity check and sent the payoff to Ford Credit. Now begins the long slog toward ?December? awaiting the arrival of my M3.

IMG-4545.jpg