Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was listening to AM radio this morning when I pulled into the parking garage at work, which I am now surprised to realize that I hadn't done that before.

The AM radio immediately cut out, with some light fuzz sound remaining. However, I smiled when I realized that the static sound became more intense in proportion to how far I pushed the accelerator. It sounded just like an ICE car, a race car, in fact. I found it so funny that I left the AM radio on as I searched around for a spot, and I even gunned my radio engine just a little bit when climbing some ramps in the parking garage to hear the sound it would make through the radio.

I was listening to AM radio this morning when I pulled into the parking garage at work, which I am now surprised to realize that I hadn't done that before.

The AM radio immediately cut out, with some light fuzz sound remaining. However, I smiled when I realized that the static sound became more intense in proportion to how far I pushed the accelerator. It sounded just like an ICE car, a race car, in fact. I found it so funny that I left the AM radio on as I searched around for a spot, and I even gunned my radio engine just a little bit when climbing some ramps in the parking garage to hear the sound it would make through the radio.

While it appears you found this to be amusing, doesn't it also worry you that your inverter/motor is interfering with your AM signal? That would speak to poor shielding or some problem with the vehicle that should not occur. I would not be smiling after experiencing this.

It doesn't worry me in the slightest. All EVs generate what is called EMI or Electro Magnetic Interference. Most of it is suppressed however some does leak out, it is just the nature of how high power electronics work. Every EV I have ever had, you could tune in AM radio to the "heartbeat" of the inverter in the lower part of the AM band. I have a preset on my AM at 540 so I can hear my Model S and all it's workings while I drive. What is interesting is you can hear the inverter during accelerate or regen or when stopped when creep is on. When in D with the AM radio on 540, switch into N and listen to how the inverter disengages a few seconds after you switch to N and the motor gets de-energized and free wheels. Pretty cool. Annoys the crap out of my passengers but as a electrical engineer I find it absolutely fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it appears you found this to be amusing, doesn't it also worry you that your inverter/motor is interfering with your AM signal? That would speak to poor shielding or some problem with the vehicle that should not occur. I would not be smiling after experiencing this.

Nothing to worry about. My gas powered BMW did the same thing and that was just a 12V system with an alternator in the loop.