Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW announces new fully electric E-Phaeton with 95 kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like VW is going to invest heavily in electric cars. Thanks #dieselgate :biggrin:

VW decided to design a new Phaeton (here the old Phaeton), scheduled for 2018, which will be fully electric with a 95 kWh battery and is supposed to have a range of 500km. It will be based on the same platform as the new fully electric Audi e-tron quattro SUV (which is scheduled for 2018, too).

It looks like the new electric cars will get their own proper platform, so no more stuffing electric drives and batteries in cars which where designed to carry an ICE and gasoline tank.

The smaller fully electric cars will get more battery size options and there will even be a 7-seater minivan (E-Bulli).

Here are some articles:

emobilitaetonline

Handelsblatt

HNA

Last edited:
VW decided to design a new Phaeton (here the old Phaeton), scheduled for 2018, which will be fully electric with a 95 kWh battery and is supposed to have a range of 500km.

Using this post to remind what VW actually said: that they will be shooting for a range of 250-500km. So the top end of that range will be okay....the bottom end will be, umm, Okay Within An Order Of Magnitude.

I think I should copyright that....

Audi/VW are the same company and share a lot of platforms. The Phaeton may be first, but I can't imagine that we won't see any true Audi EVs announced in the near future.
The question is whether Audi will inherit the VW platform on this one, or if this is proof that VW has already inherited Audi's penchant for massive quantities of vapourware in the EV department.

fully electric with a 95 kWh battery and is supposed to have a range of 500km.
Napkin:
ModelX P90D: 90kWh/250mi=360 Wh/mi
ModelS P85D: 85kWh/253mi=336 Wh/mi
Phaeton: 95kWh/310.7mi=306 Wh/mi

Interesting.

Caveats:
1. I chose the least efficient configuration of the X and S above, and gave Phaeton the benefit of the doubt that they were talking EPA numbers not Fantasy...err Ideal... range type numbers. So the calcs significantly favor the Phaeton.
2. Buffers, etc. change the numbers.
3. YMMV.
4. Not a real product yet.
5. Etc.

Napkin:
ModelX P90D: 90kWh/250mi=360 Wh/mi
ModelS P85D: 85kWh/253mi=336 Wh/mi
Phaeton: 95kWh/310.7mi=306 Wh/mi

Interesting.

Caveats:
1. I chose the least efficient configuration of the X and S above, and gave Phaeton the benefit of the doubt that they were talking EPA numbers not Fantasy...err Ideal... range type numbers. So the calcs significantly favor the Phaeton.
2. Buffers, etc. change the numbers.
3. YMMV.
4. Not a real product yet.
5. Etc.

If VW says 500km in NEDC terms, that means almost 265 miles in EPA I think.

This would be a good opportunity for some innovation on VW's part. Imagine a charge port that can take a EU Supercharger and a CCS connector. There should be no mechanical issues fitting both connectors which already exist. The obstacles are negotiating access to the Supercharger network with Tesla and routing all the potential AC and DC currents from the various pins to the right places at the right times.

Audi/VW are the same company and share a lot of platforms. The Phaeton may be first, but I can't imagine that we won't see any true Audi EVs announced in the near future.

And Skoda. Imagine a fully electric 95 kWh Skoda Superb... :eek:

I think in the last years Skoda has become the better Volkswagen.

How am I to charge my 95 kWh Phaeton on a road trip? Top off for 2.5 hours at 22 kW? Car is no good if the charging infrastructure is not in place.

Superchargers. Elon offered other car manufacturers to use the supercharger network if they pay the proportional costs. And he said, that he is already talking with an european (but not german) manufacturer. My guess would be Volvo.

Or maybe VW has something different in mind (google translation):

Opposite the Deutsche Presse-Agentur said Osterloh [VW group works council head] on Friday: "So if already Phaeton, then as an electric vehicle with 800 volts, 15 minutes Charging time and with 500 kilometers of range"
Source

I think I heard something like this from Porsche, too.

Last edited:
Napkin:
Caveats:

VW/Audi usually uses NEDC standard for quoting range. Nissan tends to use NEDC/JC08 for quoting range. Here's NEDC range for some Tesla's:

P85D: 305 miles/491 km
85D: 330 miles/531 km
P90D (estimated): 317 miles/510 km
90D (estimated): 343 miles/552 km

The 500 km claim is a round off target. They really don't know yet since they don't really have production battery chemistry necessary to pull of the product. Same with the Porsche concept they showed - the battery tech doesn't exist for their concept yet.

The 500 km claim is a round off target. They really don't know yet since they don't really have production battery chemistry necessary to pull of the product. Same with the Porsche concept they showed - the battery tech doesn't exist for their concept yet.

For the E-Golf they're using LG cells. LG has recently said they're able to supply packs of up to 120kWh (at unspecified annual quantity and price).
Agree that they're just spitballing targets at the moment though.