Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Ayoreo Design Concept for a More Affordable Alternative to the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV_de

Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47
Jun 11, 2009
Germany, IN
U Design: VW Ayoreo Design Concept for a More Affordable Alternative to the Tesla Model S - Carscoop

VW-Ayoreo-6.jpg

It's been a few years since the first modern-era electric cars started to become available to the masses, and even though they haven't exactly set the market on fire, they're slowly gaining pace in the automotive marketplace.

Over the next few years, we're going to see many new battery-powered models going on sale, be that with pure electric drivetrains like the BMW i3 or EV's with a range extender such as the Cadillac ELR Coupe.

Along with carmakers, automotive designers are also preparing for the things to come. Erik Sætre, a Norwegian Industrial design-engineering student who is currently doing an exchange year at the UK's Coventry University, sent CarScoop a concept study he created for an all-electric Volkswagen four-door coupe named the Ayoreo.

"The Volkswagen Ayoreo is a coupe designed to enter the EV market in 2013," Sætre tells us. "The goal was to achieve a fairly simple and clean surface language with incorporated industrial elements, like its rear view cameras. A more affordable option than the Tesla S, but hopefully a more appealing one then the Nissan Leaf."

Sætre imagined the five-seater model with four in-wheel electric motors producing a total of 240-horsepower.

For more pictures of the VW concept, scroll down for the photo gallery.

Design Credits and thanks go to Erik Sætre

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't hold my breath. The in-wheel motors and lack of side view mirrors say this is little more than a concept. VW has had a number of false starts over the past few years.

And if my history with VW is anything to go with, you will be able to buy a Model S for what you will pay in maintenance on the VW.

Erik Sætre, a Norwegian Industrial design-engineering student who is currently doing an exchange year at the UK's Coventry University, sent CarScoop a concept study he created for an all-electric Volkswagen four-door coupe named the Ayoreo.

Looks like a design contest winner.

Nice, but this isn't coming from within VW.

It's always amazing how many cars we never actually see. The bottom line is that by plunking down our 100k we're incentivizing all manufacturers to offer EV's. If Tesla keeps selling EV's it's gonna happen. That's how the market works. Tesla's job is to get there first with an affordable EV with realistic real world range AND be a better, more responsive, honest, company. Once they do that, and get that reputation it's gonna be hard for even the big guys to catch up.