Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW buys stake in solid state battery start up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“I see great potential in this new technology, possibly boosting the range to as much as 700 kilometers (430 miles),” VW CEO Martin Winterkorn said
At least he understands that long-distance EVs are worth investing in. I hope VW actually pursues this route and is successful. The more automakers seriously engaged with EVs, the more the public (and public officials) will realize that EVs are a real (better) option for most people and that the public infrastructure needs to evolve to support them.

Tesla isn't being complacent about cell technology, but it's clear he's waiting for entrepreneurs to cross the threshold themselves. "Send me cells, not PowerPoints" he said (approximately) recently.

I think Elon's quote is applicable here:
“My top advice really for anyone who says they’ve got some breakthrough battery technology is please send us a sample cell, okay. Don’t send us PowerPoint, okay, just send us one cell that works with all appropriate caveats, that would be great. That sorts out the nonsense and the claims that aren’t actually true.”

Yeah, sure but the fact that the second largest car manufacturer in the world, with all its technological know how, is willing to invest in this company, albeit 5% for the time being, does say something. If this technology pans out in a couple of months what it promises to be then the whole Gigafactory needs a big rethink.

I think this a very exciting and huge development.

“My top advice really for anyone who says they’ve got some breakthrough battery technology is please send us a sample cell, okay. Don’t send us PowerPoint, okay, just send us one cell that works with all appropriate caveats, that would be great. That sorts out the nonsense and the claims that aren’t actually true.”

If this technology pans out in a couple of months what it promises to be then the whole Gigafactory needs a big rethink.
If the technology pans out in a "couple of months" (they've been "real close" for four years now) and if it can be put into mass production in "a few years", then pigs will fly. If not, VW has lost some petty cash.

If the technology pans out in a "couple of months" (they've been "real close" for four years now) and if it can be put into mass production in "a few years", then pigs will fly. If not, VW has lost some petty cash.

my 5 cents..

VW is investing 5% of a very smal startup comapny.. Might be a cheap way to create "uncertainty" about Teslas future. It is easier to produce FUDed for a while, "its so yesterdays tech" when VW "soon" will have solid state batteries..
This is nothing, pocket change for VW. Might be cheaper than some of the anti-tesla/ev ads out the ex. Lexus Anti-EV / anti-Tesla advertising from competitors

They probably have send a sample cell to VW instead. VW tested it quickly, decided to invest and make a more thorough test of the cell now.

One has to assume that Telsa is monitoring the development of all battery technologies. There is so much vaporware in this field that Elon is right to be a bit cynical. On the other hand we'd be fools to assume that Tesla doesn't know what's going on. If solid state was as presently promising as its developers claim, Tesla would be all over it.

One has to assume that Telsa is monitoring the development of all battery technologies. There is so much vaporware in this field that Elon is right to be a bit cynical. On the other hand we'd be fools to assume that Tesla doesn't know what's going on. If solid state was as presently promising as its developers claim, Tesla would be all over it.

Maybe so but, there's a genuine risk that Tesla could be getting big enough that they may not be on the ball always in this context. They are obviously going forward with the Gigafactory to, in all likelihood, build the same kind of Li-ion cells that they've been using thus far (with improvements in chemistry and energy density, of course).

Maybe so but, there's a genuine risk that Tesla could be getting big enough that they may not be on the ball always in this context. They are obviously going forward with the Gigafactory to, in all likelihood, build the same kind of Li-ion cells that they've been using thus far (with improvements in chemistry and energy density, of course).

Hey, GG, I suppose that risk is there, but I really hope not. Tesla has always been smarter, quicker, better than anyone else in the room. I am amazed that they did what they did so absolutely well, and to think they will just let the ball drop because they are "getting bigger" would make me very sad. I think they are better than that.