TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

VW eGolf in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Vmax, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Vmax

Vmax Member

The first batch of cars for training purposes arrived here. Most probably it will be launched by mid of March with the first deliveries in April. Price expected to be <$400K
    Good alternative to the i3 for drivers who prefer a conventional looking EV.

2. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

#2 DITB, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Is this a hybrid or a pure EV? The more choice the better (to some extent), especially if it provides a good user experience.

EDIT: Just looked it up - 83 miles rated range, no range extending - so yet another "Leaf clone". Too bad they don't make them at least 200-250 km range, that would make these kind of EVs much more popular.

3. Dan_

Dan_ Member

I think it is a pure EV. They had a test drive event for the Golf EV at airport expo a few years back. It drove like a normal Golf apart from the regenerative braking and it wasn't as "mind blowing" as the MS when I first test drove it. It looks exactly like a normal ICE Golf also. With that price tag, I think they will need to make some serious improvements if they want to sell it in HK like the i3 and the MS. Hope they have done it over the pass few years.

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

Do eGolf and i3 in Hong Kong have Type 1 (J1772) or Type 2 (Mennekes) charging inlets? In USA, they now both have standard Type-1 SAE Combo inlet with the big DC pins below the regular J1772.

5. Vmax

Vmax Member

i3 has Type 2 socket with 2 DC pins below for CCS charging in Hong Kong