Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure the expanded CCS protocol is well established as 350A at up to 1000V, unless I'm missing something.
The CCS protocol as defined by SAE is now 400A continuous at up to 1000V DC in the present official version of J1772.

There apparently is another specification update due within a few weeks but I’m not sure what will be new and whether the amperage etc will be increased further. ABB claims to support a configuration of their new generation DC charger product line that supports CCS at up to 500A.

Reactions: Saghost
The cables on the 150kw chargers they are deploying are liquid cooled. They say these will support 350kw. I have a bunch of pictures I will post later today. The cables are interesting. Top connection to the pedestal keeps them off the ground. Secure sockets to plug into when not in use. So no rubbing the cable against anything.

RT

DC Fast Charger and liquid cooled cables...

IMG_20180217_101442572_HDR_zpsksde2jfe.jpg

IMG_20180217_103105550_zpsvda7n1x0.jpg

IMG_20180217_101350190_zpstneqslvh.jpg

IMG_20180217_103105550_zpsvda7n1x0.jpg

So how can you charge a Tesla with the DCFCs that VW are deploying? Is the charge rate limited to whether you have a single or dual charger? Can one of these 350 kW DCFCs be used as a supercharger for a Tesla?
Not these, the only non-Tesla DC charging that is compatible with Tesla is CHAdeMO, using the CHAdeMO adapter, and only for the S and X now. Not CCS.

The old single and dual chargers, or current 48A vs 72A chargers, have nothing to do with DC charging. They’re for AC charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and nwdiver
So how can you charge a Tesla with the DCFCs that VW are deploying? Is the charge rate limited to whether you have a single or dual charger? Can one of these 350 kW DCFCs be used as a supercharger for a Tesla?
Most likely you will need to use Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter which is self-limited to 125A (near 50 kW). So, it may not be any faster than when using that adapter with today’s existing 125A CHAdeMO chargers. As TexasEV notes, today’s Tesla CHAdeMO adapter does not appear to work with the Model 3 yet for some reason.

It’s possible that Tesla will come out with a newer CHAdeMO adapter that can handle higher currents. The CHAdeMO standard now supports up to 350A (at up to 500V) is on track to upgrade to 1000V support within the next year or two. However, some next-generation charging stations such as the Terra HP chargers from ABB only support CHAdeMO at up to 200A at the moment while still supporting CCS at 350A+.

It’s possible that Tesla could also bring out a CCS adapter but so far there is no evidence for that.

Most likely you will need to use Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter which is self-limited to 125A (near 50 kW). So, it may not be any faster than when using that adapter with today’s existing 125A CHAdeMO chargers. As TexasEV notes, today’s Tesla CHAdeMO adapter does not appear to work with the Model 3 yet for some reason.

It’s possible that Tesla will come out with a newer CHAdeMO adapter that can handle higher currents. The CHAdeMO standard now supports up to 350A (at up to 500V) is on track to upgrade to 1000V support within the next year or two. However, some next-generation charging stations such as the Terra HP chargers from ABB only support CHAdeMO at up to 200A at the moment while still supporting CCS at 350A+.

It’s possible that Tesla could also bring out a CCS adapter but so far there is no evidence for that.

I really hope this happens... Would be a great thing for Tesla to do for their customers!

Tesla often offered to share SuperCharger. Patents are open too.
So far no one admits to contacting Tesla.

VW probably has enough hubris to be planning to "crush" Tesla, or just plane ignore Tesla.
So, VW sticks with their EU charging standards. Why not? EU=USA connectors.
So VW will build stations WHEN they are ready to sell EVs in USA (they don't want to help Tesla in any way).
And VW probably wants others to "manage" these charge stations so they will want to work out deals with others.

Opportunity for Tesla might be that IF VW plans fall apart and Tesla picks up locations cheap.
(or others want to work with Tesla, such as destination/work chargers IF VW doesn't work out)
All Tesla will need to do is change out the chargers OR perhaps just ADD their chargers.
(location, site prep, wiring might be done by VW investments).

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
DieselGate lying to everyone AND testing on humans. Trust VW or GM more?? or Tesla?

Elephant in the room? BATTERIES.

"Contracts went out to three charger companies, Electrify America said: Greenlots in Los Angeles, EV Connect in El Segundo and SemaConnect in Bowie, Md." end date currently 2027 via CARB.
Your workplace may get EV charging stations — thanks to VW's cheating scandal
VW plans see below web-page
Welcome to Electrify America | Commitment

PS- Model S now 1 out of 3 luxury sales almost world wide. Model X out sells Porsche Cayenne.
Model S even out sold Class S in Germany! And Daimler thinks Tesla SEMI all lies.
Interesting times. Like Bob Lutz, they just can't believe an immigrant in Silicon Valley can compete with them. They have over a century of captured regulators and supply chain partnerships

Last edited:
Our lazy buddies over at Electrify America are (not) at it again. The 3rd quarter 2017 report came out on 11-21-17. Per the consent agreement, they are required to put out quarterly report. So I was expecting the 4th quarter report around 2-21-18, about a quarter later.

Here we are now at 3-29-18, almost the end of the first quarter 2018, and we still don't have the 4th quarter 2017 report. I e-mailed CARB (no reply from them yet) since the CARB website includes a link to all the quarterly reports, and the 4th quarter 2017 is nowhere to be seen. Its also not on the EA website:

Volkswagen Settlement - California ZEV Investments: Electrify America Reports

We can only hope that the have installed so many L2 and DCFCs that they are having trouble counting the number of working installations :rolleyes:

Its fascinating to watch the glacial pace of what Electrify America is doing, even with essentially unlimited resources at hand ($200 million first tranche). Then you read all the "Tesla Killer" articles about how Porsche or GM is going to dominate Tesla, and their high speed charging network roll-out is assumed to be a given, a piece of cake, just a matter of spending the $$$ and matching what Tesla has done.

Ain't gonna happen, no way, no how, not soon. I'll believe it when the long awaited June 2017 Baker EVGO DGFC opens.

RT

Our lazy buddies over at Electrify America are (not) at it again. The 3rd quarter 2017 report came out on 11-21-17. Per the consent agreement, they are required to put out quarterly report. So I was expecting the 4th quarter report around 2-21-18, about a quarter later.

Here we are now at 3-29-18, almost the end of the first quarter 2018, and we still don't have the 4th quarter 2017 report. I e-mailed CARB (no reply from them yet) since the CARB website includes a link to all the quarterly reports, and the 4th quarter 2017 is nowhere to be seen. Its also not on the EA website:

Volkswagen Settlement - California ZEV Investments: Electrify America Reports

We can only hope that the have installed so many L2 and DCFCs that they are having trouble counting the number of working installations :rolleyes:

Its fascinating to watch the glacial pace of what Electrify America is doing, even with essentially unlimited resources at hand ($200 million first tranche). Then you read all the "Tesla Killer" articles about how Porsche or GM is going to dominate Tesla, and their high speed charging network roll-out is assumed to be a given, a piece of cake, just a matter of spending the $$$ and matching what Tesla has done.

Ain't gonna happen, no way, no how, not soon. I'll believe it when the long awaited June 2017 Baker EVGO DGFC opens.

RT
The article I posted references a court filing through 31 Dec. I guess the Electrify filing is different?

Clever how VW is using "dieselgate penalties" as an investment opportunity to create Electrify America company.

From their "business plan" you can see they are playing up to California Politics - Sacramento is a government town and not a
population/industrial/commercial center of California. In the plan, VW also lays out its electric vehicle awareness efforts and “electric city” plan, which is expected to be in Sacramento, for about $11 million. They plan to spend about $44 million on these "electric city" projects here in America. IF promotion of electrification was really your goal where would you put your "electric city"? Where might you reach the most people for promotion?

“Electrify America will build a long distance high speed highway network consisting of approximately 50+ charging stations along high‐traffic corridors between metropolitan areas. These stations will focus on 150 kW and 320 kW DC fast chargers; each station will have 5 plugs on average. These chargers will represent state‐of‐the‐art technology with the fastest charging speeds available. Most currently installed non‐proprietary DC fast chargers are in the 25‐50 kW range, so Electrify America’s stations will be at least 3‐6 times faster, which reduces charging times to approximately 15‐20 minutes in some cases for new generation, larger battery capacity ZEVs.”

With all of these (my words) changing standards for fast DC charging I can see why Tesla taking responsibility for their own charging network and not leaving it to politicians/government regulators [often captured regulators] to decide standards and build charging stations. As pointed out by many, another Tesla advantage.

At the bottom of this article you can find a 33 page "business plan" for "California ZEV Investment" from the VW Group.
VW is installing ultra-fast 320 kW chargers in California as part of its $2 billion EV infrastructure plan

BUT I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO GO BACK TO THE OP [Original Post] of this thread. It really is informative.

(The first page of comments is a really good introduction.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The article I posted references a court filing through 31 Dec. I guess the Electrify filing is different?

msphor,
The article you linked to is about the VW buyback. The primary focus of this thread is about the $2 billion VW will be spending through its newly created Electrify America entity. They are supposed to produce quarterly reports on their progress. Lots of good information in this thread about the California build out of EV infrastructure by them if you might be interested in following the progress or lack thereof.

RT

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Yes, I noticed that as well and sent an email on Monday to CARB but have not gotten a response yet.

I’m not sure that’s fair. VW/EA is trying to do a lot on an aggressive deadline (now that they are finally starting). I suspect these kinds of projects take a lot of behind the scenes planning and the visible action where the charging plaza pops up happens in a few weeks at the end of the process.

EVgo’s Baker location is not necessarily a good model of coming attractions. It’s a one-off site being done with very early high power equipment. EA is a different organization and is trying to build ~300 locations over the next year. Their deadlines for the new equipment availability are more realistic.

Reactions: hiroshiy