Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Porsche really wants to have 800 volt charging using their newly announced fancy charging system, those will not magically appear at EA or Tesla charging sites.
EA already seems to be typically installing two 350 kW capable charging spaces at each of their locations. The remaining 150 kW spaces are very likely capable of 800V charging as well but just at lower overall power limits. As such, the Porsche Taycans should be able to draw the full power output of those lesser stations during the large majority of their charging session.

Porsche’s charger design actually seems to have been developed with BTC Power which is already one of EA’s four charger suppliers but they are supplying dual-cable units rather than the single-cable CCS unit shown in Porsche’s PR materials. I know of nothing particularly special about Porsche’s CCS charger design other than its visual aesthetics.

See my article:
Porsche shares details of its ultra-fast DC charger design

Last edited:
Yes, it's actually using Tesla CHAdeMO adapter hardware under the covers.

Oh, now that's an interesting development. Do you have more information about this?

If you're correct, it means Tesla has already made firmware for the CHAdeMO adapter to speak CCS successfully - so they could release that to the public along with a dumb adapter at any time (if the CHAdeMO hardware used here is 100% identical to the version on sale.)

If you're correct, it means Tesla has already made firmware for the CHAdeMO adapter to speak CCS successfully - so they could release that to the public along with a dumb adapter at any time (if the CHAdeMO hardware used here is 100% identical to the version on sale.)
I thought the hack was power -> CHadeMo -> Tesla adapter.
No CCS involved

For the EU mandated CCS installations at Tesla Superchargers?

Unless I'm very confused, those are what we were talking about when the comment that it used Tesla CHAdeMO adapter hardware under the hood showed up.
Are we talking about the EVTEC charger that has a Tesla plug on it? That’s just a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter stuck inside the charger cabinet.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
FYI for folks in the SF area, you can see one of the new EA 350 kW charger pedestals on display at Audi’s e-tron marketing pop-up through Saturday from 11am to 8pm at 90 Broadway St. in SF.

It just started this morning at 11am. Free lunch (at least today) as long as you don’t mind the risk of being filmed for marketing promotional use.

There’s a blue e-tron on display and you can get inside and play.

237C176B-4207-4EFE-B360-CF0E2531BC41.jpeg

Last edited:
Are we talking about the EVTEC charger that has a Tesla plug on it? That’s just a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter stuck inside the charger cabinet.

Oops. Maybe we are, and I misunderstood. I somehow thought the post a little bit back about the first site with Tesla and CCS and CHAdeMO under protest was about the CCS locations Tesla was having to add to EU stations, but on rereading this is something different that I hadn't heard about before.

The 15th Electrify America site is now open at a Walmart in Hays, Kansas along I-70. It appears to have 4 charging spaces.

Meanwhile, two of the three California sites are well under construction. The site in the suburb of Elk Grove, within the Sacramento Green City initiative area, appears to be the first community charging location we have seen as it has 3 50 kW chargers and a 240V plug. The DC chargers may be the first of the ones made by BTC Power. It isn’t clear from the PlugShare photo (below) but the entry lists it has have 3 CCS and 3 CHAdeMO which implies that each of the 3 charging pedestals are dual-cable with both plug types each.

Although we haven’t seen it yet, some community chargers locations are expected to be based on 150 kW spaces rather than 50 kW as seen here.

053D99C8-2D49-4C40-983F-91D9F36B6002.jpeg

Is Lucid trying to piggyback on the VW infrastructure... :cool:
Luxury electric car maker Lucid is building a charging network with VW in another jab at Tesla

Luxury electric car maker Lucid is building a high-speed charging network for electric cars across the United States with Volkswagen, the companies said Tuesday. According to the deal, VW subsidiary Electrify America and Lucid will build a network of 500 charging sites across 40 U.S. states by the end of 2019. The deal gives Lucid another leg up against Tesla and signals increasing competition in the luxury electric car segment. Lucid, which is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, plans to start producing its own upscale electric sedan in 2020.

US sales of *EVs that have DC capability in September were 90% Tesla.
The EA decision to not support Tesla charging directly is moronic and should be obvious even to them and the regulatory bodies.
We’ve talked about this before. No non-Tesla charger manufacturer supports Tesla charging.

Electrify America is not allowed under their settlement agreement to spend any of the $2 billion dollars on supporting non-standardized charging. Tesla has not submitted their connector design or charging signaling protocols to any standards body.

Reactions: transpondster
Electrify Canada is proportionally nine times smaller than electrify America. Roughly 36x less stations for 4x less TDI vehicles. VW fans are proud, though, because they call it a "goodness of heart" effort.

Besides compensation to TDI owners, VW Canada hasn't yet been held accountable for the diesel scandal. Just last week, VW Canada's lawyers said there were no victims in an attempt to fend off a class action suit over air pollution.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
We’ve talked about this before. No non-Tesla charger manufacturer supports Tesla charging.

Electrify America is not allowed under their settlement agreement to spend any of the $2 billion dollars on supporting non-standardized charging. Tesla has not submitted their connector design or charging signaling protocols to any standards body.

I don't believe this is the case, see the info posted here:

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

RT

Is Lucid trying to piggyback on the VW infrastructure... :cool:
Luxury electric car maker Lucid is building a charging network with VW in another jab at Tesla

Luxury electric car maker Lucid is building a high-speed charging network for electric cars across the United States with Volkswagen, the companies said Tuesday. According to the deal, VW subsidiary Electrify America and Lucid will build a network of 500 charging sites across 40 U.S. states by the end of 2019. The deal gives Lucid another leg up against Tesla and signals increasing competition in the luxury electric car segment. Lucid, which is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, plans to start producing its own upscale electric sedan in 2020.
I get a lot of milage out of this cartoon:

A mouse and an elephant are running down a dirt path. The mouse turns to his elephant friend and says "WOW, we sure are making a lot of dust !!"