Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Getting Serious

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to preview these vehicles. They look nice, but VW(endy be extension, BMW as well) still doesn't "get it" when it comes to electric vehicles. One thing they were trying to float is the model of paying up front for fuel(electrons) and signing up to a subscription sort of service for charging. The rates seemed a little high - on par with gasoline prices for the same range, so the only thing benefit from one of these vehicles is the green factor.

Also, the vehicle look sleeks, but I noticed there big wastes of usable space - the I.D. VIZZION - which looks mostly to compete with Model S has a HUGE hood for no good reason - and almost none of it is usable cargo space. Same with the ID CROZZ. The I.D. seems the most practical and real-worldy if that is a word.(I know it isn't).

However, I will give them this - the I.D. BUZZ is awesome - a minivan that is adaptable for camping, delivery, kids, cargo what have you makes a lot of sense, and the nostalgia factor goes a long way.

They are keen on making these vehicle autonomous - at least the BUZZ from what I know. I wish they would release the vehicle sooner without the autonomous abilities and sell that as an option on a later model year instead of delaying the entire vehicle. Also, with all the effort of concocting pricing models for charging, I wish they'd just bite the bullet and partner with Tesla's established charging network - it would make life so much easier for the consumer - heck even if they kept their cockamamie pricing structure in place, just having access to a mature established charging network would go a long way.

• Informative
Reactions: J1mbo and mikevbf
I still don't think they are attractive cars. I feel traditional automakers don't understand that we want cars that look good, not that fit the same mold as started by the Prius and continued with the Bolt. (Maybe only I want this?)
This is not a "weirdmobile". It looks very much like the Golf, which is one of the world's bestselling cars. Assuming it's a hatchback, it's more practical than a Model 3. One VW manager also stated that they are planning to sell the car for about $8000 less than the Model 3 costs. I think this thing will sell like hotcakes, particularly in Europe and Asia.

Did they not already have an all electric vehicle out this year but only limited to selected part of the USA. How did that do? Also I happy they are building supercharger electric stations under the emissions settlement. I assume we should have access to these as Tesla owners.
Nope. They primarily support CCS, which Teslas cannot use. They'll also have limited support for CHAdeMO (which the Model 3 may be able to use if Tesla update their adapter to support the 3), but only on a subset of the stalls and limited to 50kW.

• Informative
Reactions: cellogig
This is not a "weirdmobile". It looks very much like the Golf, which is one of the world's bestselling cars. Assuming it's a hatchback, it's more practical than a Model 3. One VW manager also stated that they are planning to sell the car for about $8000 less than the Model 3 costs. I think this thing will sell like hotcakes, particularly in Europe and Asia.
These are definitely weird mobile. Better than the Bolt but they’re still doing that whole “make it futuristic but then make the final product blah” that automakers have done for years.

Also, I’ll believe the “$8000 less than Model 3” when I see it. They must have some amazing battery supplier lined up to make it that cheap. The Bolt MSRP starts $2500 higher than base Model 3 without even DC “fast” charging capability.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
These are definitely weird mobile. Better than the Bolt but they’re still doing that whole “make it futuristic but then make the final product blah” that automakers have done for years.
Disagree. This is a Golf-like design, which is very popular outside the US. To be honest, the Model 3 with its snout and Ikea interior is more of a weird-mobile than this in my eyes.
Also, I’ll believe the “$8000 less than Model 3” when I see it. They must have some amazing battery supplier lined up to make it that cheap.
They buy batteries from multiple suppliers in huge quantities, so they are likely getting heavy discounts:

Volkswagen Orders Up $20 Billion In Batteries

They also have a lot more experience in building low-cost cars for the mass market than Tesla.

Last edited:
I will consider them "serious" when they have an actual product to sell. Lots of cool concepts is nice, but it's just talk right now. If that VW Bus reincarnation actually comes to fruition I would seriously consider it as the second family car.

My 16 yr old daughter is very obsess with owning a classic vw bus. She has the following regarding vw bus stuff...Lunch box, phone case, some decorations in her room and txt messages me vw buses for sale in the area.
We would seriously consider buying her a model 3 for graduation but I do love the looks on that l.d. Buzz

Reactions: S'toon
Also, I’ll believe the “$8000 less than Model 3” when I see it.

Hear hear!!! Can't imagine it being competitive to the M3. I mean - won't the price include dealer markups. If so, the actual factory price would have to be around (35k-8k= 27k).... but if that's the sell price - factory would have to be around 24k. And that is supposed to compete with a 35k car? What are they omitting? Range, software updates, GPS, etc?

Hear hear!!! Can't imagine it being competitive to the M3. I mean - won't the price include dealer markups. If so, the actual factory price would have to be around (35k-8k= 27k).... but if that's the sell price - factory would have to be around 24k. And that is supposed to compete with a 35k car? What are they omitting? Range, software updates, GPS, etc?

I am thinking that the $8K less than a model 3 has to be based on the price of the LR model 3.

Also dealer margins on entry level econoboxes like the Golf are not 15% more like 5%.

VW GTI has MSRP of 36,170 and invoice of $34,723 roughly just as an example.