Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Getting Serious

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always figured that the Volkswagen Group would share the lead in the EV race, especially given their success with the eGolf in Europe. Add to that their involuntary billions going to seed chargers in North America (that their vehicles can certainly leverage), and you would think...

But no. Or at least not yet.

A neighbor has an eGolf and loves it. I saw another one launch itself in front of me down a freeway on ramp. It was fun to see.

Why VW doesn’t position the eGolf as a Leaf-killer and for that matter an i3-killer is a tad mystifying. The eGolf is here now.

The field is going to get crowded soon.

I want Ultra charging be real.

My longest in-a-day journey is, say, 350 miles, and that's an out-and-back journey (so I might even have destination charging available - although 3rd party chargers are often unreliable/unusable here in UK). This is UK, I don't drive "across the continent".

If you had 370 mile real-world-range battery how often would you need to ultra-charge?

I think the rollout of high speed chargers will be eclipsed by longer range batteries. Still needed for cross-continent journeys, but presumably folk in USA who do that only do so once or twice a year, and many of you not-at-all?

i think the whole trip thing is over rated. Flying is so cheap and fast now that driving cross country is dull and not comfortable and more dangerous.

Local commuter is whats hip now.I see leafs everywhere in colorado and a few i3. More teslas now but still the s model is way over priced for what it is and buyers know this.Most model s/x owners are wealthy and make over 150k a year-over 100k for sure.No way a moel s owner will be making 50-60k a year unless they are stupid.

I want to see more low/mid price electrics with cool style soon. Not some gay ugly neon/pt cruiser crap looking cars.

Flying is so cheap

For me that's the problem with it. Herded like cattle through all the security checks, forced to walk along a path that meanders through the shopping that I don't want, and smell of cosmetics that make me wheeze; check-in two hours before departure, huge delays getting through security checks, all liquids have to be in clear plastic bags and limited quantity, extortionate car parking fees at airport ... often flight delays too.

I know in USA internal flights are like a bus, although even there the security must by now have increased? Outrageous parking costs and push-selling to use merchandising space "more effectively" may not have go there yet ... maybe soon?

Dreadful service on USA flights IME ... and yet everywhere else in USA the service is the full "have a nice day" flavour where nothing could be too much trouble. Always found it surprising that flights were excluded from the Good Old American Service regime ...

Reactions: Lerha
The VW e-Van ("Buzz") as well as the golf class vehicle could be nice electric cars, great to see VW slowly adopting that technology in mass market automobiles by 2021, 4 years after Model 3. But don't expect for a second that they will be cheaper than a similar equipped model 3. VWs are quite expensive cars. An e-Golf (36 KWh) costs about 45'000 USD with a configuration similar to that of a base model 3. A Golf GTE (Hybrid) costs even more than 50'000 USD when configured similar to a Model 3. Given the size of the I.D., that car most probably will be more expensive than other Golf models. Worth waiting for? I don't think so.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
VW needs urgent reforms to avoid Nokia's fate, Diess says

Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess told top managers that the automaker needs to undergo a “radical overhaul” in the face of industry change or risk being pushed aside.

“The time of traditional car manufacturers is over,” Diess said in prepared remarks at an internal meeting Thursday.

VW needs to get a grip on software and vehicle electronics as well as producing a raft of electric vehicles and batteries so it can comply with stringent anti-pollution rules.

The company will cut resources devoted to fuel cells, since they will not be as competitive as electric vehicles for at least another decade.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash