TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

VW Getting Serious

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Hank101, Apr 26, 2018.

1. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

IMHO the CROZZ is a sleeper but the rest look good.

2. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I always figured that the Volkswagen Group would share the lead in the EV race, especially given their success with the eGolf in Europe. Add to that their involuntary billions going to seed chargers in North America (that their vehicles can certainly leverage), and you would think...

But no. Or at least not yet.

A neighbor has an eGolf and loves it. I saw another one launch itself in front of me down a freeway on ramp. It was fun to see.

Why VW doesn’t position the eGolf as a Leaf-killer and for that matter an i3-killer is a tad mystifying. The eGolf is here now.

The field is going to get crowded soon.

3. dipper

dipper Member

I hope VW succeed just to push Tesla's ass along. I want Ultra charging be real.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. FlyinLow

FlyinLow Enjoy the journey

...without battery degradation.

5. dipper

dipper Member

With Tesla battery, sure.

VW is working to get up to 1000 kwh. They are testing up to 400 kwh now.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. FlyinLow

FlyinLow Enjoy the journey

I want every manufacturer to have high speed charging with networks of chargers that make sense. VW is in a great position to be a BEV leader if they choose to be.

7. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

These cars look awful and the names are obnoxious.

8. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

My question stills remanis, how will they charge them on trips?. 110 volt public chargers are a joke.

9. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

My longest in-a-day journey is, say, 350 miles, and that's an out-and-back journey (so I might even have destination charging available - although 3rd party chargers are often unreliable/unusable here in UK). This is UK, I don't drive "across the continent".

If you had 370 mile real-world-range battery how often would you need to ultra-charge?

I think the rollout of high speed chargers will be eclipsed by longer range batteries. Still needed for cross-continent journeys, but presumably folk in USA who do that only do so once or twice a year, and many of you not-at-all?

10. meomyo

meomyo Member

i think the whole trip thing is over rated. Flying is so cheap and fast now that driving cross country is dull and not comfortable and more dangerous.

Local commuter is whats hip now.I see leafs everywhere in colorado and a few i3. More teslas now but still the s model is way over priced for what it is and buyers know this.Most model s/x owners are wealthy and make over 150k a year-over 100k for sure.No way a moel s owner will be making 50-60k a year unless they are stupid.

I want to see more low/mid price electrics with cool style soon. Not some gay ugly neon/pt cruiser crap looking cars.

11. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Personally, I love road trips. Flying is so obnoxious these days and I really like seeing the countryside go by.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  12. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

For me that's the problem with it. Herded like cattle through all the security checks, forced to walk along a path that meanders through the shopping that I don't want, and smell of cosmetics that make me wheeze; check-in two hours before departure, huge delays getting through security checks, all liquids have to be in clear plastic bags and limited quantity, extortionate car parking fees at airport ... often flight delays too.

I know in USA internal flights are like a bus, although even there the security must by now have increased? Outrageous parking costs and push-selling to use merchandising space "more effectively" may not have go there yet ... maybe soon?

Dreadful service on USA flights IME ... and yet everywhere else in USA the service is the full "have a nice day" flavour where nothing could be too much trouble. Always found it surprising that flights were excluded from the Good Old American Service regime ...

• Like x 1
  13. tescroft

tescroft In Musk, we trust.

The VW e-Van ("Buzz") as well as the golf class vehicle could be nice electric cars, great to see VW slowly adopting that technology in mass market automobiles by 2021, 4 years after Model 3. But don't expect for a second that they will be cheaper than a similar equipped model 3. VWs are quite expensive cars. An e-Golf (36 KWh) costs about 45'000 USD with a configuration similar to that of a base model 3. A Golf GTE (Hybrid) costs even more than 50'000 USD when configured similar to a Model 3. Given the size of the I.D., that car most probably will be more expensive than other Golf models. Worth waiting for? I don't think so.

• Helpful x 1